Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Beginners Guide] How to safe deconstruct captured cargo ships

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Arturius1967, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Arturius1967 Trainee Engineer

Hey guys,

I was testing different techniques for deconstructing the captured cargo ships and this one, seems for me, is the safest one.

I thought it would be a good idea to share my experience with all the pirate beginners here ;)

1. create a docking construction for the ship somewhere at your station base (be sure there is enough free place to park the ship there.) Use a merge block at the top.
    [​IMG]

2. Prepare the bottom side of the ship for the other mergeblock construction.
    Remove any unusable blocks, like steel catwalk plates etc.
    [​IMG]

3. create the second docking construction at bottom of your captured ship.
    Be sure you have enough place to use your ginder ships, if you use any.
    [​IMG]

4. Dock the captured ship at the base construction.
    If the merge block lights are green, the ship is docked.
    [​IMG]

5. Now you can start to deconstruct the captured ship.
    Be sure to remove any items from reactors and cargo containers before deconstructing them or you may loose the content.

The benefit of this method is, the captured ship is converted to platform, so if you cut something in the wrong order, the blocks will stay in place an do not drift away ;)

[​IMG]

Hope its helpfull for anybody.

Regards,
    A.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  2. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Took me quite a few iterations of chasing around lost bits and the like before I went to merge blocks too. Then I just built a grinding wall. I wish they had the "natural mass" gravity gens though, just so you could kill a ships thrusters and dampers and just slowly suck it into grinders.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  3. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

yeah that would be nice. With a "grinding wall" situation I'll use a small tow craft with an artificial mass, it USUALLY works but often isn't perfect.

I agree merge block to station is the easiest if you're going to just attack it with grinder ship. If you forget to do that first then yes it will drift around and become difficult, chasing down parts.

In a situation where you forget to do that or don't have the materials handy, you can drop a bunch of station blocks around to sort of cage it in. But merge block works better.

4. nobodx Senior Engineer

i usually grind down an armor block or two and place some around the ship to keep it from falling apart and then grind it from top to bottom

5. fabricator77 Apprentice Engineer

Ship grinders never loose items stored in containers etc they break open. Only the hand grinder does this.

6. Arturius1967 Trainee Engineer

Yeah, but if the container you are deconstructing has more volume then your grinder, then you can run into a problem ;)

7. kristakis Junior Engineer

Merging a ship into a station makes it a whole lot easier to grind it down, but where's the fun in that. I say spend many more hours and make a huge pit and then push ships into it instead :D

These days I just merge into a station and grind it down with a small ship, but those were fun times!

8. Souper07 Apprentice Engineer

Not-so-beginner ship recycler
    [​IMG]
    Large enough to recycle any of the cargo ships you can capture, or many small ships at once.
    Has sensors to automatically detect ships and turns on/off grinders as well as alarm sounds to warn players that grinders are on.
    Paired with
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321272610 to convert the ship back to raw materials.
    Very minimal effort required to use, simply maneuver your captured ship above the grinders, turn off inertia dampeners, set speed to .1~.5 (depending on grinding speed settings) and go onto doing other things. Come back later and your pirated ship will be completely recycled.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.