Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Better camera view needed!

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Thales M., Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Camera view is too hazy I think. It should be more clearer. It greatly reduces visibility. I like playing realistic and use first person only. So, cameras is very important to me.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Yossarian Trainee Engineer

3. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

Yup. We're in the late 21st century we should have clear visibility.
    even my 150€ camcorder has better res that this camera block

4. EternityTide Senior Engineer

I would prefer an overlay to distinguish camera feeds from first person, but I do want cleaner feeds.
    Perhaps the feed should become more and more distorted as the antennae approaches the end of its transmission radius.
    The zoom function needs to be cleaned up a bit, and a panning function needs to be added.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Malware Master Engineer

The text in the upper left corner is enough for me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DanDuncombe Apprentice Engineer

I would like it so that, expanding on what has previously been said, when you are near your antenna then it is a clear view, but as you reach the edge you get flickering and the current effect becomes more strong until your just get static (and will of course have lost control over the remote block).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

+1 and when the slendership is flying behind you
    Edit: a block to disrupt connections for a few seconds would be cool!

8. Scya Apprentice Engineer

+1 I like these ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  9. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

I like a security cam texture effect, but perhaps it's a bit too much now.

Oh yes! Very nice idea.

10. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

That even has the practical use of telling you when you've gone too far.

11. Kephyr Apprentice Engineer

I like the haziness of the camera view as it is - I feel like it's much more immersive this way. If you need a better view on a detail you can always zoom in. Also I don't think pan/tilt of the camera block is necessary, as you can yourself come up with a device that could do that. Adding a new block that would do that for you would take away some "engineering" from the game.

What would be a nice addition is a lower focal length limit. This would open the field of view and allow you to see more, without the need of panning or tilting.
    Also a couple of optional overlays like crosshairs with bdc markings. Would become super useful come planets with natural gravity :).

12. Bumber Senior Engineer

Rotors: Not even once.

Besides, it would be far too bulky for a simple camera.

13. Ericius11 Apprentice Engineer

The same could be said about missile and gatling turrets. I could build a bulky little number that was less convenient to control yet did as much damage, but why bother? There comes a time when the most elegant solution to a problem is no longer building a better contraption, but building a better block.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I would prefer a clean feed to the haziness. The haze causes stutters in multiplayer when there are a lot of ships in proximity. However, normal first person view does not. Immersion is cool, but not at the price of performance.

15. Ericius11 Apprentice Engineer

Really? I thought the haze was just a static overlay... Are you sure it's just not the fact that you're using a camera in the first place?

Edit: I should remind you that I don't play multiplayer, so my experience is minimal. I'm merely conjecturing on a phenomenon that doesn't make sense to me, NOT accusing you of being an idiot who doesn't understand what's happening in your game.

16. cataractus Apprentice Engineer

Angled view gives you better perspective for precise actions. You can pan in cockpit so why not in camera view? Player-made pan/tilt device for camera will be big and untrustworthy. You need at least two rotors and maybe gyro and RC Block for precise pan. You also probably will need large-small rotor "exploit" for camera mounted on large grid. Currently rotatable cameras are cheap and common in many real life appliances from toys, monitoring to robotics.

17. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, the "camera" view isn't really using a device. It is just changing the player's frame of reference by detaching it from the player object and attaching it to the camera object. The only difference is an overlay that covers the whole screen in an opaque filter. The unoptimized video engine suffers enough already. Now we're applying real time DSP to every pixel.

18. Malware Master Engineer

While you're right about how the view changes, I still agree with @Ericius11. A simple texture overlay really shouldn't be causing much problems, because it's so incredibly simple, even if it were rendered on the most unoptimized render engine in the world - as long as it's hardware based. I too believe there must be another cause - mayhap related, but not the overlay itself - because this makes no sense.

19. Sinbad Senior Engineer

I was under the impression it was a pixelshader effect. the scan lines seem to have a slight lensing effect, gathering the pixles from where the dark lines overlay and summing them on the bright lines (which also have fine vertical devisions as well)
    or I'm just old and projecting my memory of what screens like that looked like in rl.

20. MaxTheManiac Apprentice Engineer

maybe we could get the same static effect if there is interference from other ships or when the feeds are jammed (this could be a new feature) either way ive always wanted a cleaner, crisper camera feed because my nokia flip phone from 10+ years ago has a better cam than this.

(i quite like the sage camera overlay or something similar)

21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You, sir, would know better than I... certainly. :)

However, if the simplest solution to problem Y is to remove feature X (that falls in the realm of just "cute") then remove the feature and spend your developer capital elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Malware Master Engineer

On that we can most certainly agree.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Bumber Senior Engineer

I would rather have something like this than the current scanlines:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  24. Mechanized Cheese Trainee Engineer

Of course, such a big camera without a good resolution is weird so keen plz give us a clearer one.
    Also, if we can zoom the camera, why can't we adjust FOV of it? I feel sick using this camera FOV ...

25. ayax Trainee Engineer

Can we get some answers from the devs on this or something to that effect? The Camera is almost completely useless in dark areas. whatever spotlights you put just end up washing out the image and you just end up seeing the static scanline and thats it.
    This is space. This is in the future.... Current cameras in space can record and transmit to the earth with much better quality.

The fake scan lines overlay has got to go. please.

26. Malware Master Engineer

Devs rarely if ever respond to threads like this.

27. Qiler Trainee Engineer

I actually think removing the camera overlay completely would diminish gameplay. Drones suppose to have crappy view to make being there in person better, just like in real life.
    But i do think the current overlay does needs to change. Right now it is just a texture just slapped on top of the screen.
    Far better idea is to use shaders to apply a film grain noise. This would also allow the noise to increase with the distance between antennas. For example a camera on the ship you are piloting would have almost no distortion but a camera on remote controlled ship 20km away with few antennas in between would have a lot of distortion.
    Here are some screenshots comparing between no overlay, the current overlay and my proposed filter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Legas Trainee Engineer

+1

I could use a camera that didn't output the same image quality as a camera from 1945.

Flip phones had better cameras than space faring astronauts in year 2077.

Behold! We can manipulate gravity and space-time itself by using Gravity Generators and Jump Drives! But good image quality on a camera? That's completely absurd! We could never reach this advanced technology in only 60 years in the future!

29. ayax Trainee Engineer

The overlay is badly done, it should either be done well or not at all... a slapped on scanline texture is not what should be happening... As stated above.. theres no reason for camera feed to be so freakin crappy in this space/time setting unless you start going out of antenna range. Crappy reception 2 meters from the base antenna is just not acceptable.

30. DexCisco Trainee Engineer

+1 to a clearer camera view and +1 to rotation. Especially with current lighting issues it is difficult enough to see when your lights are derping out. Drones are also difficult enough to pilot without 3rd person view.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.