Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Better (easier) way of connecting multiple pistons and/or rotors.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Lolly-FreakXX, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lolly-FreakXX Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    (Youtube thumbnail from 'Last Stand Gamers')

Connecting pistons or rotors from 1 object to an other object in very complicated and hard to do in creative and basically impossible in survival without blowing up your station/ship. Is there a way to turn pistons/rotors static while building on them and then dynamic when using? This would make moving objects (large elevators, moving platforms , etc) a lot more stable and a lot easier to building them. I hope this would happen.

(English is not my first language ;) )

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sioxernic Senior Engineer

I am not sure how you have been connecting multiple pistons together, but I have managed to do so in survival for ages without any particular issues?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Timotei~ Apprentice Engineer

I believe the ability to "attach" a piston to an already existing piston head (like we can do with rotors) would be a good step in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

I wonder how you do it EASY in survival ? Can you show me ?

For ultra easy mod planet gravity + 4 pistons on one grid will not connect on first try like 90% time, or you can EASY try varian with rotor heads and you have good chance clang will destroy it all, moment you connect second rotor.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  5. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Large grid pistons actually have a side mounting point that let's you connect pistons up to one grid with relative ease.

After the head attaches you can either leave the embedded merge block for fixes, or grind them both off

Edit: it also doesn't help currently that multiple pistons have a weird twisting destruction bug caused by grid pivot orientation. Once they fix that I think it'll make it easier again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Nice, bugs in game are the same, but i didnt notice mount points on side of piston head before. Really thank you for that information. :tu:
    (Bugs: I did try connecting 4x pistons on one grid and it make 4th piston explode + it start rotate like crazy )

7. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I'll keep spreading this until they fix it: go to info tab, click "show grid pivot" if all of the pistons orientations match AND the grids orientation they're being merged to it should not break and explode.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Interesting that first 3 pistons connect normaly :munch:( i will try connect it from diferent sides and play with it a litl. )
    Edit:
    small grid is broken completly. First piston head from side have to small mounting point and when i did finaly find him, its not possible place merge block + you can place object inside piston + piston head :tu: Explosion after connecting second mergeblock .

For big ship grid: 4 piston explode, when you connect it from every side, just because its 4th piston. ;)

9. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Yeah, only the large grid have the side mount point.

I'll also put it on record small grid seems to work okay for me, though I haven't tried in survival recently.

Not only is there more than one, it's 6 pistons mixed with rotors on top of more pistons and rotors (I'm sure you've already seen so in spoiler to prevent spam)

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

I did just try it again, after your comment and... no explosions... looks like Clang did just prank me first time :tu: ( I did notice diferent delays on locking mergeblocks, meybe when it dont lock in time... its start push and explode + make it rotate, but you can not set diferent size of piston, because it will explode after merging when all pistons are 2m and 1 is 1.9... but when both are 2 it can colide and explode too...)
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.