Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Big Drills

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Raz0rking, Jul 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Raz0rking Apprentice Engineer

Is it me, or are the big drills not suitet for tunneling unless they are used in "overdrive"?
    I have shaped 82 of em in a pyramid formation, but still the last row gets destroyed. I was thinking of making a row of drills perpandicular to each row of vertical drills. Has anyone experienced that?

2. DanDuncombe Apprentice Engineer

They drill a hole only a tiny bit bigger than their size, meaning they bang on the walls of tunnels a lot. The only solution I have found is just make a big open pit in the asteroid surface, rather than a tunnel, if you see what I mean.

3. Raz0rking Apprentice Engineer

yes i know exatly, what you mean. And due to the fact that the small drills make holes bigger than their own size it takes some time to get used to. Should that issue get fixed, or makes it thing a little bot more challenging

4. D4rk4ng31 Junior Engineer

Hey :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NWO Mantis ... On the first two pictures its still small. It was the earlier game. The ship is growing uo with me. (PvP Server, Survival) Just 8 drills, 2 refs and an assembler. Auto-driller.

On the next two pictures the Mantis is a bit bigger and has 25 drills. Two Refinerys and an assembler. It drills automatically through the asteroid. Of course.

The damage you can see is no real damage. The big one digged 20 times through the asteroids now.

I just lost 2 thrusters cuz there was a hidden Base in the asteroid - now there is a big tunnel without a base.

5. Raz0rking Apprentice Engineer

hmm..interesting design. I am inclined to make a even bigger drill
    but why are you putting in artificial mass?

6. D4rk4ng31 Junior Engineer

Because its drilling automatically through the rock. I am able to lean back and enjoy. Or go afk for a moment or something.

7. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

Yeh same deal here. The large ship drills just aren't wide enough like the small ship drills are. Pretty much makes drilling holes into stuff impossible, without sustaining major damage. It would be nice if the devs made the large ship drills a bit wider on the drill head.

8. D4rk4ng31 Junior Engineer

Really? I posted a ship that takes NO damage (unless theres a hidden base in the asteroid) and you really say its impossible?

[sarcasm]
    Why cant you guys just play a bit with ur phantasies and try to create something new? Why must everything be coded for the absolute dummy? Isnt it enough that we have to start with a perfect ship? With everything we need? No, now we need big fat drill, that carry everything. No wasted stuff, it sucks every ore automatically, it drills holes huge as the whole asteroid. Thats what we need ... Truly. Damn -.-
    [/sarcasm]

9. Nip Trainee Engineer

I have a 6x8 grid of large drills anchored to heavy armor. The heavy armor can sustain a ton of abuse. I drill in as far as my drilling arm can reach, then back it out carefully. Repair the heavy armor and go again. ive only lost 2 or 3 drills over the past couple weeks

10. PopeUrban Trainee Engineer

My minig rig is very similar to Dark's design (though mine it a big ugly cigar box with integrated retros) and provided you space out the mass adequately it works very well. The trick is how you set up the automatic mining system.

1: Get a gravgen pointed toward the business end of the drills
    2: place mass, at least 4 and make sure the ship's center of mass is centered to the drills
    3: Place gyros/lateral thruster and such
    4: Define a separate group for your retro thrusters and all gyros ("Maneuvering")
    5: Define an automatic mining systems group ("AMS") which includes your mass, gravgen, and all drills.
    6: Manually dig a "pilot hole" enough that your drills are securely anchored in the rock
    7: Leave inertial damps ON, turn OFF Maneuvering and turn on AMS
    8: Go make a sandwich while your ship mines.

This works because the automated damps want to keep the ship from drifting side to side, however you turn off the retros because they would interfere with the forward motion you create with the gravity drive. Turning off gyros might just be superstition, but the inertial-damp based stabalizers seems to stay more true to the tunnel when turned off. Thus, to increase tunnel stability you add more lateral thrusters so the ship can stay centered.

Finally, your ship design needs to have at least one block clearance behind the outer ring of drills. This setup keeps the drills themselves from taking damage, but due to the tight spaces that outer layer will still ding anything in that space. If you leave a 1 block space your ship never impacts the sides of the tunnel. it also helps to build your drills in a pyramid or "wedge" shape as they tend to stay straigher on-course that was as they are unable to laterally deviate as much.

11. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

Put landing gear behnd them so the landing gear keps them frm banging the walls too much.

12. D4rk4ng31 Junior Engineer

Oldschool, looks bad and its waaaay to big. Tires.

13. MrKeserian Trainee Engineer

I would like to see the large drills eat a slight larger area, but it is possible to use them for tunneling. I just finished an automated mining rig that uses a platform that looks to the asteroid with landing gear. The drill head is on a wheel based piston that is held fairly stable by wheels on rotors. The operation is pretty basic: lock the ship to the asteroid, set the rotors, turn on the drills, and disconnect the docked connectors. Still working out a few minor kinks, but it's not a major issue.

On my phone so I can't post a link, but check out my YouTube channel in my signature. It should be one of the more recent videos. I think it's titled "Drill Life".

14. D4rk4ng31 Junior Engineer

Woi ... nice thing ... i like those designs. "Realistic drills".

Mh, could it be, that u have increased ur grindspeed? :)

15. MrKeserian Trainee Engineer

Yep. No secret there. I work two jobs, go to college, have a girlfriend, and produce 6 videos a week. No way I could do that without increasing my weld speed and squeeze in sleep. I still end up playing an hour and a half for every half hour episode. But, back on subject, the drill "works," but it needs maintenance after every time it runs. The drills do get damaged, but not component loss damage. So I just run across the drill head with my welding ship, and that seems to do a decent job.

I need to design a ring of welders to automatically repair it, but I wish I didn't have to. Basically, if the drills reached just a bit further to each side, it would be fine. Or if the large drills had a reduced lateral motion (which with that much mass, wouldn't be that hard to engineer). Or I could stick some wheels on a suspension system around the drill head.

16. Raz0rking Apprentice Engineer

hmm..i noticed something interesting. The damage i recieved could be due to the desing of my drillhead and the armor behind it. Now my head has no armor behind the last row of drills and there is no damage visible. I dont know if it is to the other design, or if the hitbox of the armor blocks is a tiny tiny bit larger as its area.

17. SeeJayEmm Apprentice Engineer

I did this with the latest iteration of my drilling rig (I'll screenshot it later, not at home). The problem with this design is that the drills cannot be part of the same ship as the welders. I solved this by mounting the drill head on a rotor. I lock it and join the drills with a set of connectors. It certainly works, it's unwieldy as hell for several reasons. In retrospect I should have used a merge block instead of a rotor that I could disengage prior to drilling. I may attempt a retrofit.

It's a pig to fly with all that dead weight in the front. Replacing the rotor with merge blocks would solve that problem assuming the mag-lock on the 4 connectors can hold it together.

I'm using an artificial mass block & gravity gen to constant forward thrust while drilling.

I have placed thrusters & gyros on the head of the drill to stabilize it during mining. Since I cannot control these thrusters or toggle inertial dampeners from the main ship I disable these thrusters during flight. I also disable my inertial dampeners on the main body while it is drilling and let the head do all the work. I may re-work this grouping so that I only disable the reverse thrusters (since they fight the gravity gen) so I can leave the main body dampeners on as well.

For all that work though the welders do their job and I've yet to have any drill breakage.

18. Zerat_kj Trainee Engineer

I have managed to drill into the asteroid (and exit on the other side as one ship) using a 2x2 large ship covered outside with glass "armour".
    Later upgraded to 3x2 works perfectly, just the armour is a must since the ship is 90% small container blocks
    will try to upload v 3.0 to the workshop today and post a link here

19. Rosenkranz Apprentice Engineer

I realize this is something of a hack but if in the cube sbc file you edit the large ship drills deformation ratio from 0.7 (identical to the small drill) to 2.5 you'll get the clearance you're looking for.

I'm not entire sure what this number represents. I though it was perhaps the clearance in meters but at 2.5 it doesn't clear 1 large block out. More like half a block but much better than stock.

As always, make a back up of the file before you edit it.

20. AtlantisThief Apprentice Engineer

@Rosenkranz:
    2.5m from center of Drill maybe?

21. Raz0rking Apprentice Engineer

where is the file exactly?

22. Rosenkranz Apprentice Engineer

Could be. Could be why, at 0.7 it's so tight. Though the drills physical radius is 1.25m. So 0.7 would be smaller than the drill itself, so that can't be right.

@Raz, it's the cubeblock.sbc I think. It's the main definition file for blocks. Please be careful when editing that. You could easily bork you install if you cut/paste or otherwise delete/add something you shouldn't have.

I didn't want to be too specific because, one, I'm at work and can't remember the details and two, if you don't know you're way around the files, you probably shouldn't mess with it too much. Though it does give you an incentive to learn :)

23. Raz0rking Apprentice Engineer

would not be the first time i had to reinstall a game due to messing around with the code...but, learning by doing :woot:

24. carazvan Trainee Engineer

Big tunnel drillers are possible you just have to trust going forward as the ships are longer and therefore have less room for you adjusting your direction of drilling. proof of this:

The 'Locust' Miner at ~300t this is a relatively small large ship only 4x4x12 on the large grid size but it contains a full base: 16drills (4x4), 2 gyros, 2 refineries, 2 assemblers, 2 small reactors, 2 small storage, connector, medbay, grav gen and 14 thrusters (2 in most directions and 4 at the rear)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Narase Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    works perfectly, just need some service after doing his job. A 2kk-container is full in 5min

26. SeeJayEmm Apprentice Engineer

I also have a large tunnel miner. I decided to separate it into a 2 piece rig so I can have welders repairing the drills as they take damage.

Rev 1 used a rotor and a grav gen. It was, difficult, to fly due to the center of mass.
    Rev 2 (below) uses a merge block and thruster override. So far the 4 connectors, when locked, are strong enough to hold it all together. It's all heavy armor block for weight and she's pretty stable.

Adding the refineries to the miner itself is something I hadn't considered. I may have to make a rev 3. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Rosenkranz Apprentice Engineer

I tried not to get too complicated. Didn't suceed very well, but what the hey.

20 Refineries, 20 assemblers, plenty of storage. Even has 4 assemblers set up for disassembling comps and dedicated storage for stone disposal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still working on building it in survivial.

28. mattryan72 Apprentice Engineer

This is one I've just built, front and rear drill array and 50 batteries, 8 small reactors, 3 large and 19 small containers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Matt

29. Lancar Senior Engineer

About the large drills being unsuitable to make tunnels...

I have a mining ship using 25 large drills in a 5x5 formation, and I can drill right through asteroids just fine. I think it may be because I have armor blocks right behind the outer ring of drills.
    The damage those blocks should take is nearly nothing, due to them not bumping into the rock at all, especially not the beveled corners. However, they are the blocks on my ship that takes by and large the most damage.
    I believe the damage propagation model in SE is transferring all (or most of) the damage the drills take into the heavy armor blocks behind them, thus sparing the drills themselves.

Armor blocks are the only (aside from interior wall) components that can actually take impact damage and deform, after all.

30. Narase Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.