Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Big thanks for the improved controller support

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Oct 27, 2019.

1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Just wanted to give my thanks for the improved controller support in this patch. Now I only need the keyboard for typing stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Calaban Junior Engineer

oh? should I dust off my elite dangerous HOTAS?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I just bought a Logitech X56 HOTAS and I am currently trying to set up a profile for SE but it is slow going. In the meantime I heard that Keen had improved their controller support. I took a chance and hooked up my Xbox controller and I was QUITE pleasantly surprised. I still keep the mouse and keyboard well within reach, and frankly I'm still not convinced that you will be able to play this game with just a controller, but it's working way better than I could have imagined. I wish joystick support was as good.

What's really ironic is that every cockpit in the game gives the player character two joysticks, and right now the only way to get that IRL is with an Xbox controller. Otherwise, you can't play the game with one joystick, let alone two.

I'm not sure I can get my HOTAS to work properly with SE, and that's why I wouldn't recommend hooking one up unless you want to spend hours trying to figure out how to get SE to listen to it. In the meantime, the controller is now plug and play.

4. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Yeah it's still not quite there though much better. Things you need a keyboard + mouse for now:

- Grouping things in terminal
    - Programmable blocks hotkeys for cockpits
    - Naming things (obviously)
    - Canceling production queues

Things that surprisingly seem to work without keyboard

- All manner of building
    - Camera and weapon hotkeys for cockpits

Also selecting many blocks in a row quickly with the Left stick menu seems to reliably crash the game.

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I bought an RPG gaming mouse with like 10 thumb buttons. I assign them to the 1-9 keys and then use the tenth to scroll through menu screens. It makes it really easy to stay focused on piloting rather than reaching up and pushing a number. It's also a little more ergonomic when building just being able to flick through a palette of bricks with the mouse hand.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Tough guys like me like to play hardcore with a two-button mouse; it separates the men from the mice!

7. dispair Apprentice Engineer

Had no idea there was controller support. I use my xbox controller for dcs world, where everyone uses sophisticated hotas. My little ore scout will be a blast on a stick, thanx.

8. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I think it is nice they have better controller support, for me though think I am a stuck keyboard and mouse kind of player. :)

And I do tend to steer clear of PC games that have controller only option.
    (Only a few I know, but I have missed a few good games just because of it..lol)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, for years I've used a Logitech G15 gaming keyboard that made a lot of things easier. But it's like a million years old now and about a week ago it stopped working, which is right about the time I became aware of the X56, so I got myself one. The X56 just has more stuff to program, and I'll figure it all out eventually. I may take a bit longer now because I plugged in the Xbox controller and it worked. I still want to use the HOTAS, though :D

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I remember when I got a bad case of HOTAS once...playing Microsoft Flight Simulator...but I quickly got over it. Now I never go near that stuff.

11. Calaban Junior Engineer

Elite Dangerous was amazing with a full HOTAS, full 6 axis of motion + 6 full directions of transverse, all simultaneously- made for some dizzying moments- especially in VR.

I wonder if the SE engine would vomit much inputting me pressing the D and W and Q keys, while mouse moving up, and left... and now turn down the Q rate a bit do do a perfect death helix (drawing out a spiral flight path while crosshairs remain pointing steady on center)... is that asking too much?

Yeah.. I think the engine may flip the table and walk out of the room...

• Agree Agree x 1