Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Block Concept: Nanobot Hive

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by MrFaul, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MrFaul Trainee Engineer

OK I really love playing Survival with my friends but still even with more people building stuff takes forever (yes we are playing 10x) .... and they are bad pilots!

So to speedup things and get rid off the "occasional" dents I started to think about valid ways which should be easy to implement in the current game state.
    I came up with this:

Block Concept: Nanobot Hive

What it does:
    • Automatically repairs damaged blocks
    • Builds newly attached frames and structures
    • Able to work on multiple blocks simultaneously
    How it works:
    • Needs a steady supply of nanobots ([Au] and [Si]) crafted in assembler
    • Needs a steady supply of components (+5% of original block resources)
    • Needs a 100KW for every block it is working on(this is fixed you have the power or you don't)
    • Idle takes 1MW by default (Unless you like to plaster your ship with solar panels you better mine some )

(For peoples sake there should be a power consumption slider in the world options)

Gameplay restrictions:
    • Has a range of max 75m
    • Has a small cargo volume 10000l (Nanobots separate)
    • Should only be available for large ships not stations (not possible yet are still the same blocks)
    • Can only work on max 100 blocks simultaneously(sounds much but trust me it isn't)
    • Works at 1/10 of welder speed (want to speed it up? build more an waste stuff)
    • Takes a boatload of resources and time to build
    Dimension should be 1x1x2

Lets get the discussion started.
    What are your opinions on this matter. <- opinions not "aww nooo I don't like it" tell a reason!

2. w0ps Apprentice Engineer

Or you could just ask your friends to repair the damage they caused.
    This seems like a feature that replaces things a player should do imo.

3. MrFaul Trainee Engineer

Of course, it is a replacement for what a player does... that's the intention.
    But besides the fact that it repairs blocks that would be damaged unnoticed (for example blocks that are in a wall and not visible/accessible) it allows you to leave and miner new stuff.
    It is designed as a helping hand.

4. MrInfro Trainee Engineer

Another one of those ppl. Go play creative dude, when you dont want to do stuff yourself.

5. MrFaul Trainee Engineer

Dude there are "ppl" out there with a "rl" and can only afford to spend little time on gaming therefore ways to compensate time intensive tasks like searching for damaged blocks before your vessel makes the titanic are good it enhances gameplay.

This allows you to focus on the main task mining and engineering.

Creative gets boring after a while there are no challenges whats so ever.

6. Vermillion Senior Engineer

That's your fault, not the game's.
    If you're not willing to invest time and effort, why should you be rewarded with "fun" at the expense of other people?

7. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

A great way to put it. But I'd like some indicator that points me to damaged blocks - sometimes they're not found until too late... But not an autorepair! (It'll ruin war).

8. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

+1,
    but it should be only avaible for stations -> shipyard

9. MrFaul Trainee Engineer

I see no reason why the hive would drop the fun.
    1/10 welder speed is very slow... not nearly enough to give you advantage at warfare.
    Off course you can build an armada of hives and waste most of the resources you need for ammunition also tons of generators are needed to produce enough energy to feed them besides that you still need a crew to replenish them since you are busy with piloting.

It is in fact only a no worry parking insurance, well mainly for you since you don't know if the other ship has one equipped...

10. MrFaul Trainee Engineer

Na in my opinion station blocks should have the doubled mass of larger ship blocks and only weldable with a tool attached to a small ship to give them another reason to be build. (But I save this for a own topic)
    But I'm pro for "small ship" shipyards so.

11. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

For shipyards there will be 3d printers: why nanobots then?

12. Captain Snyder Apprentice Engineer

Sounds over powered, but it really isn't. And if it was overpowered in combat, then make it either 1/12 the speed, or 1/20 the speed. There's no way that's overpowered, You'd need ten/twelve/twenty to cover the ship's area, that'd require a butt load of energy + Supplies, not worth it.

I would prefer it the be placable on stations and large ships, not small. Making it Station-Only makes a great use for the station instead of a Mobile-Station (Large ship)

13. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

Only tests show, and I say: devs should make modding API, and modders should do a lot of crap like this, not devs anyway.
    Then players choose what they want from mods themselves.

14. MrFaul Trainee Engineer

woha just noticed there is a "large" missing in the initial post ... was never intended for small ships.... edited it...

15. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

3D printers cant repair ships

16. ADM-Ntek Trainee Engineer

making it station only would be great for repair docks you could charge resources from other players to keep it running. also spending hours just welding stuff gets boring fast. nanobots would also be able to get to the spots you cant very usefull for compact ships without crawl spaces.
    this could also be used to suplement the 3d printer the printer builds the nanobots repair and maintain this way you can focus on design, minning and managment.

17. MrFaul Trainee Engineer

lol point for ArcherV

The difference between stations and large ships are at the moment only the name and the movement type and I believe that will change someday drastically.
    The station blocks need to become much more resistant as they are now. Light armor should be at least as resistant as the heavy is now.
    So auto- nanobot- repair with this kind of density shouldn't be possible.

18. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

Noone said those 3D printers won't be able to.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.