Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Block in Block building

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by BlitzAcerosin, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. BlitzAcerosin Trainee Engineer

Have you ever tried to place a catwalk and a light in the same 1x1 space, only to find out you can't because of the way block placing works?

Have you played Medieval Engineers and noticed you can put certain types of blocks in eachother, and wondered why the SE team didn't attempt to do the same, despite the fact it'd be useful as all hell?

That is what I'm wondering, and more importantly, if this is a possible feature, as it'd make compact designs a lot easier, as well as allowing for some more intricate/interesting designs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Merandix Junior Engineer

This is called compound building and it has been suggested so many times the community basically doesn't ask anymore. Everyone wants it, but technical limitations make it VERY unlikely, and everyone would like working multiplayer first anyway.

Main problem is that SE grids move. ME grids generally don't and if they do it's alright if stuff breaks :woot:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. druppi Apprentice Engineer

The devs said they are already working on compound blocks ... they will come this year (hopefully)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Malware Master Engineer

For ME maybe, not for SE - check your forum address ;)

To be very clear: Compound blocks is not incoming for Space Engineers. It's been denied time and time again.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Enderlook Trainee Engineer

Never or not in a early future?

6. Malware Master Engineer

There's no such thing as "never" (they said "never" for planets too), but the probability is negligible and currently there's no plans to do this. You should assume it won't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Enderlook Trainee Engineer

Ok, thanks.

8. Akimitsu18 Apprentice Engineer

Unfortunately, I suspect that Compound Blocks have the unfortunate distinction of not being functionally important to the game while also being very difficult and time consuming to implement. As far as I understand, even if they were to somehow add this feature it would only be for non-functional blocks (windows, glass, catwalks); you wouldn't be able to combine things like lights and button panels, for example. Even so, I'd bet that nearly every SE player would use them just for decoration purposes, at least occasionally.

It probably would have been easier to add this feature if the game were earlier in development, but now it would probably require them to redo a lot of old work. This would undoubtedly add a whole host of bugs or break a lot of features, and it would increase the time and difficulty of continuing to work on the project going forward.

All that said, it's probably going to happen anyway if Keen decides that it'll increase the value of their product and help them make more money. To that end I bought a second copy of SE a couple months ago, and I'll probably pony up for the classic version. If a lot of us were to donate money or purchase the classic version, and if we had a respectful, non-obtrusive way to let KSH know why, that might sweeten the deal a little bit for them. Here's hoping anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Malware Master Engineer

The simplest form of CB they could add would affect _all_ entity blocks (non-armor blocks). It would not be difficult, but it would be time consuming - which is the rub.

10. ghofmann Trainee Engineer

Source?

11. Malware Master Engineer

It's not true. They've always said a clear no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. druppi Apprentice Engineer

well in the 1.182.1 change log was a post under "What we are currently working on" with contained Compound Blocks......
    ...........but it's deleted now again :p

13. Planelander Trainee Engineer

Compound Building, I would love compound building :(
    really? are you being serious O_O

14. Malware Master Engineer

No. I guarantee you that this is false. They are not working on compound blocks. If thete was anything there, it would have been either a cruel joke or more likely, a mistaken copy from an ME log.

15. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Compound blocks in SE is like Herobrine in Minecraft.......

16. Bumber Senior Engineer

I think it may have been mislabeled fix regarding merge blocks or station grid snapping.

17. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

They actually said they are working on compound blocks, this promise cheered me up, now you are telling me this is not going to happen. Hell, freaking adults stole lollipop from innocent child, bad adults, bad, bad, really bad.

Anyway, some compound builds are possible with mixing grid size with rotors, however it cause lot of problems, reduce simspeed, may cause clang in MP, makes repairs very, very difficult. That's why I haven't used it, until couple months ago I've decided to try to build truc- trailer with lot of small grid subgrids onto two large grids. Looks amazing, works amazing, and require godlike rig to keep it moving with 1.0 simspeed. I'll probably push it to workshop when I'll finish it... Shouldn't take more than couple weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Malware Master Engineer

I have never seen them make that promise and I consider myself to be quite up-to-speed.

I have never seen them do anything but debunk this.

And they've done so many times...

19. rexxar Senior Engineer

Compound blocks aren't happening.

The end.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

I've seen such sentence in one of update release notes. Maybe I've misunderstood it wrong? Or overseen something? Don't know. Compound builds could be fun but aren't essential for game so I can live with that.

21. Bumber Senior Engineer

https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/update-1-182-1-beta-improvements.7396303/

It's ambiguous as to what it refers to, but it's certainly not what you're thinking.

22. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Yea, you are right. Well, this is not end of the world :-D. Learning how to utilize grid size mixing will not be time waste... 'If something is impossible you have to find someone who doesn't know that and he will do it', one of my favorite quotes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

A relatively easy solution to people wanting certain compound blocks--for example catwalk plates with a ceiling light--is just to make a new single block that has both in it. While making these new blocks isn't strictly speaking "easy", it would be roughly ten quadrillion times easier than coding compound blocks into the engine.

24. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

For those of you in the back of the class who aren't quite paying attention. That's a developer saying that.

25. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I bet that keen provides us really cool tools in the future
    I bet that in 2 months i am able to sail a ship made from compound blocks on large oceans of volumetric liquid water while the ship is being manned by actually learning ai crewmen.
    All rhis while running at 0.95 simspeed on a multiplayer server. I also have 25 of the servers 50 players onboard having a disco.
    Also the ship is powered by piston oars.
    In this point of game developement pistons have been added with a little text: "rip lord clang 2013-2017"

I feel my expectations are realistic and not having them in 2 months justifies me to rant on the forums and sue keen for time i have used to the game.

• Funny Funny x 3
  26. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@halipatsui

You forgot the multi-server cluster universe each with a procedurally generated solar systems with moving planets and asteroids all orbiting the sun and rotating creating natural day and night cycles that you can warp between using your Jump Drive with each server being hosted by different people and magically no one cheats.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Malware Master Engineer

Oh come on. Don't be unrealistic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

So true. Even in a perfect gaming utopia, there is always at least gonna be that one guy...

29. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

yes
    --- Automerge ---
    no
    --- Automerge ---
    mayby
    --- Automerge ---
    so

30. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Is there a kickstarter to cover your legal expenses? Gofundyourself.com page maybe?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.