Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Brand New Player... Chasing Ore Like Fumbled Footballs

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by dekova, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. dekova Trainee Engineer

First, I'll mention that I've used both google search and search on this site ("ore floating away", "losing ore", "ore floats" etc.). I also looked through the first three pages of posts in both the general discussion and gameplay help forums without seeing anything addressing the topic.

I dutifully went through all the tutorials and then launched a brand new asteroid-based game. I grabbed my trusty hand-drill and then started in on the nearest patch of ore and found out real quick that actually capturing the ore I mine can be challenging. It seems that ore likes to tumble off down the side of the asteroid and then float off into space. If I'm super careful, it seems I'm able to scramble after and catch about half of it. I tried turning off gravity to see if that would help and it just makes things worse.

Is there a trick I'm missing or is manually mining ore in space really this much of a PITA?

2. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Gravity generator set to max, and orient your ship so the asteroid is below the ship. Secondly, when you mine, hold down the 'T' key to pick it up right away.

3. DivineWrath Junior Engineer

It can depend on the scale and the tools at your disposal. If you are working small, you could build an armor block cage around the mining side. You don't need to weld the armor blocks to completion, as they will block everything their finished state would block even while incomplete. Basically, you want to block the most likely escape routes, and try to control which way the ores bounce, ideally you want them bounce back into the hole. The ores tend to slow down after enough bouncing until they come to a complete stop. If you don't have the resources for power or a ship, you might want to make the entrance make a few turns, anything that will prevent them from having easy access to space. If you have the resources to pull this off, you might want to consider building a door for the engineer, or some air tight hanger doors for small ships. If you need something bigger, you could build the cage around a ship, or the ship inside the cage, and use a conveyor network to get stuff out. If you need to get big ships out, you could use artificial gravity as a ceiling for the cage, but you will most definitely need a floor, otherwise the ore will likely fly away faster than it would without it. So on and so on, so don't be afraid to engineer solutions.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Wrath, gave some fine solutions but let me clarify one of them. You can prevent ore loss when mining by hand by going to the edge of the deposit and tunneling into the stone next to it. Once you're sufficiently deep, mine in the direction of the deposit so that you are accessing it from WITHIN the asteroid. From there, mine out a pocket resources and catch the floaters as they bounce off the walls of your cave. None to very few floaters will escape because they have to bounce through a 90 degree turn to make it out into space.

When drilling, having a gravity generator behind you, pushing the lose ore away from the drill head works well. As you tunnel a pit into the asteroid, it will become deep enough and the gravity generator will force the ore back under the drill heads. But you have to be careful not to pierce the other side by going too deep; else your ore will tumble out the other end.

The stock yellow respawn ship comes with a gravity generator. You can adjust the width, height, and depth of the field to match the area that you're working in and not draw as much power. Try to use as low of gravitational force that is absolutely necessary. Floating ore can damage your ship if it hits with enough force. You want the grav gen to just set the ore back down, not slam it into you.

5. Krougal Senior Engineer

Yes. Yes it is.
    Especially on x1 inventory setting. It really makes you appreciate ship-mounted tools.
    While the suggestions given are also valid, I just build a ship-mounted miner ASAP.
    It doesn't require rare materials, a single large grid ship drillhead produces ore faster than you are going to be able to refine it early on.

6. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

The rule is: mine enough by hand to get a very small/basic miner up and running.

I highly suggest you invest in an ultra-low cost micro miner ship using no more than a pair of drills and a ride-along/remote since you can pretty much build one of those scrapping a minimum of your spawn ship and with a small amount of hand mining.

7. Khalad Trainee Engineer

The easiest way I found is to grind down your gravity generator to replace it with a spherical gravity generator on your yellow starter ship. Park it next to your ore deposit and mine. All the ore will be catched and pulled to your ship. Then, you only have to go back to your ship to collect the ore all around your ship, waiting for you on the outer shell. You won't loose any ore this way.

Then of course, building a small and cheap mining ship is the way to go. But at the very beginning, this technique only cost you 2 minutes to grind down a generator and weld back a new one.

Khalad

PS : as usual sorry for any spelling mistakes ^^.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dekova Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I chose one of the harder options (platform) on gamestart so I don't have a ship to work with.

That said, mining a tunnel with a sharp turn has turned out to be great advice and I'm doing much better with ore collection.

9. Krougal Senior Engineer

Nice to see you Khalad :)

If you use this method, do be sure to turn the strength of the field down, otherwise stuff can and will get pulled into your ship with enough force to damage it.

10. Khalad Trainee Engineer

I'm always around, visiting the forums every day, but not talking much ^^.

Considering the strength of the gravity field, I never had damages on the ship. If you close the door, nothing get inside, and the light armor block are no going to be broken by small rocks. But I always take care to park the ship as close as I can to reduce the traveling distance of the rocks, and thus their speed when they hit the ship.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.