Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

bring back safety lock?

Discussion in 'General' started by 333546323, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

OK so i know it was removed because it was considers a "hack" but safety lock really comes in handy for when you building small to large grid or even things on small grid like cargo bays. safety lock also really helped with building mech and things with rotors as you didn't have to leave the rotor sniping while you program another leg or something.
    so all i ask is for safety lock to be brought back and for all of the items with safety lcok enabled to be restored with safety lock.

PS(literally all of my builds with rotors are broken especially mech because they safety locked the legs when they switched).

2. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

It's driving me nuts, too. I've got devices that would've worked in the past with safety locks (namely, landing gears on rotors or pistons) going absolutely haywire when I try to dock or land. It's even worse that the Safety Lock ON/OFF command is still present in panels and timers...

3. Malware Master Engineer

They had way too many problems with it. It wasn't considered a hack gameplay wise, that's not what they meant. They were using a hack to get it to work, as Havok isn't supposed to work this way, a hack they desperately wanted to get rid of, so it will never come back. However they might have to consider an alternative to it. As you say, the effect of it is just too useful. On the other hand it may simply not be possible, and they might elect to tolerate a few disgruntled builders over bug reports on the same thing every week, bug reports on something they simply couldn't get to work right. Because it was doing things it shouldn't in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

yah thats very true i see what you mean :p but it would still be nice to have a feature where the rotores will now move under eny circumstance
    --- Automerge ---

5. Lt_Duckweed Apprentice Engineer

I really miss it though, I managed to get stable compound blocks working using it :(

Now all my compound blocks and compound ships explode on load.

6. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

A new form of rotor lock is back in the latest patch...so fingers crossed

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Basically, a rotor can be used to create an interface between small and large blocks... even though that's not the intent of a rotor (turning clockwise and counterclockwise... yes). A dedicated block for this purpose might solve a lot of issues. I know Keen is against the formal support of small and large grid integration... but it's a real thing, especially those who want detailed bridges on their ships.

I'm not suggesting taking away any features from rotors... just a block that's built to be stable, without rotating or any of the compromises mounting small, static grids to large ones.

8. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Off the top of my head I can't remember the reasons but this topic has been asked about before. As with many things I think its a game engine thing and they would rather not "fuel" the need for a block that in essence shouldn't exist but instead of removing this method they have at least understood why people use the rotor head thingy and not removed it completely. Its the perfect definition of a grey area :D

I'd look for the topics in the search bar but i'm going to sleep. As with the compound block thread at somepoint someone chimes in with the facts of the matter and why its not a vanilla thing in SE. The topics are always very interesting reading if you filter out the arguing that inevitably happens between the informed and uninformed haha :tu:

9. rexxar Senior Engineer

Not happening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Actually Digi did it years ago. :)

11. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

yah thats true also sage made compound blocks too with merge blocks.. it worked fine all the renders where there and everything.but im no programer so i dont know how hard it will be to keep it there when you log out(that was the only prblem).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Malware Master Engineer

No he didn't. He just managed to glitch rendering. That's not compound blocks, it's just rendering multiple grids at the same location. That's quite different from proper compound blocks which involves multiple blocks on the same grid, in the same location.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I thought we were talking about large/small grid interfaces.

14. w0lf3y Apprentice Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.