Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Bringing a grid back into the world? Help

Discussion in 'General' started by DCam2016, Feb 9, 2020.

1. DCam2016 Trainee Engineer

Hi all,

During a game I stopped to do a bit of cleanup and removed random objects floating around the world. I managed to delete a big base, not realising that's what it was with the camera being zoomed into it. I can no longer roll back as I played for ages wandering into deep space, the backups are now too recent. I have an older save backup that has the base in the state it was when I left the planet. I've opened the SANDBOX_0_0_0.sbs and found references to the grid.

Does anyone know how I can copy the grids info from the old file and put it into my most recent one?

TIA :)

2. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Why not just use the older save backup that has the base?

You can use the admin controls ALT+F10 to scan through all the grids in the world.

If you found some new ships you can bring them to your old save by copying them into the blueprints (F10) and then loading the old save and place them.
    Easier to bring the new ships into the save that has the base than bring the base back to it's original place since placing stations inside voxels is kinda tricky.

In short:
    Ctlr+c to copy grids > F10 for blueprints folder.
    ALT+F10 to enable creative mode tools so you can place grids easily.

3. DCam2016 Trainee Engineer

I would use the old save but then I'd lose over 3 months of progress. It's a multiplayer world and each player has made their marks all over the place.

4. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Well you can just copy the station from the old save and bring it to your new one. Look at the station and press CTRL+C, then F10 to open the blueprints menu and save it. Then F10 in the new world and paste it there.
    Press ALT+F10 to enable creative mode tools so you can place blueprints in survival.

5. DCam2016 Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the input. I'm quite up to speed on how SE works, that's why I'm going beyond the in game functions. The control of pasting an item in game isn't anywhere near fine enough, it's a base that is built inside a mountain that I'm needing to resurrect.

I think I'm close to finding the info I need. I've found where the stations info is in the SBC, I'm missing something though. I'm still trying to get my head around the format in this file.

6. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I think your best bet is just to use the creative mode tools and rebuild it. If you remember how it is it shouldn't take that long using creative mode.

7. DCam2016 Trainee Engineer

I'll take the easier option and decipher the sbc lol

8. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

It is reasons such as these if SEToolBox was still in a working state. You could get what you needed done using that awesome tool.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can copy the definition from the .sbc in the backup to the existing .sbc file. That should have everything you need in it. Two caveats:

1. Be sure you're working from a COPY of the game saves and not your only copy... mistakes happen.
    2. Be sure to delete any and all backups within the save including the non .sbc gamesave file. I forget what it's called, but it's the one that looks like jibberish in a text editor.