Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Building a Good Rover

Discussion in 'General' started by WhiteWeasel, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

With the release of planets I've tried my hand at building ground vehicles.

EDIT: Here's a link to it!

I have never built rovers before so I have a few questions thoughts on rovers:

-What do damping and strength do?
    -Since they do not need to fly, is your vehicle weight that important?

Travelling on ground is often jerky feeling, what's a way to fix that? Is it a good ratio between power and friction?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Dirktooth Apprentice Engineer

It would be great if someone could do a break down of each setting what it does and optimal settings.

My rover dosent steer for crap. I often feel like i travel half the planet {OK maybe not half} just to turn around. Should i go with all steering? just the front 2 tires steer? Whats good? WHat works?

So many questions and it seems its the new thing that is a must have.

3. infiltr8 Trainee Engineer

I Keep Friction relativly low so the Rover slides instead of rolling over in turns.

Keep the centre of mass as low as possible.

Damping is the Damping force of the comined Spring/Damper Assembly where ur wheel attaches... Dont turn it all the way down...

4. noxLP Junior Engineer

Wheels settings are explained more than once through the forums, it's a pretty common question. And you have the original keen video too.

Weight allways matters in planets. It's pretty similar to RL, with more weight of course you need more energy to move it; you'll need a harder and taller suspension or you vehicle will bounce like a ball, but if you set it too much harder you will basically have a block instead a car; you will accelerate and brake slower; with more weight there are more inertia so is easier to flip in turns, therefore the center of mass will be much more important, it have to be low, but again if you set it too much low you have to adjust the suspension cause you could damage the car from below.

So yes, weight matters when you have gravity, it changes all.
    I usually like to make a group with all the wheels and have the settings steer angle, friction, energy and max. velocity in one bar, so i can adjust them on the fly depending on weight and terrain.

5. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

This is the best wheel guide at the moment. It explains everything about dampening and strength.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mhalpern Senior Engineer

or all the way up

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Setting a speed limit for your wheels may seem like a good idea, but at the moment at least it does exactly what it says in the description. The wheel is not powered when above a certain speed. Unfortunatly this means that if you start rolling down a hill over the max speed you set you will lose the ability to break by pressing S and likely crash. So until this limit also affects free wheeling, don't use it. Set it to max and be done with it.

As far as weight goes it isn't too important, more the distibution of it.

8. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Spacebar is also a brake.

9. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

To add to that.. they are not anti-lock brakes. Pump them so you don't flip end over end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Argotha Apprentice Engineer

lol, Taem. That's so true.

However, I have another solution (DISCLAIMER: it's more expensive):

gyro and retro thruster

My cars have thrusters on them anyway so I can skip driving over mountains, so I put all my thrusters and gyros on a hotkey. I turn them off when I'm driving. When I'm hauling ass and need to stop REALLY FAST, I turn on the thrusters/gyros and then toggle the handbrake.

I stop REALLY damn fast and haven't seen a hint of flipping over.

11. Mortomes Trainee Engineer

You may have placed the wheel suspension with a wrong rotation. Make sure the part the wheel attaches to is vertical, not horizontal.

12. a2457 Senior Engineer

this is why i don't use the wheel suspension blocks.
    jerky ride, bad cornering, lack of controll.
    my stuff does not go fast, but it does not flip over, even if i do make a sharp turn at its max speed, can climb hills others simply can not.

but if you stick with wheel suspension blocks..
    yess all wheel steering is a nice feature, you may even add artifical mass to get a low center of gravity, and allso you should make em wider.

13. Ulfsark Master Engineer

In regards to steering, I've found that unless i'm making a small little personal transport CAR, if its in any way shape or form a functional vehicle, i use 3 pairs of wheels. Back and front for steering, and the middle one i put higher power and higher friction than the others....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Argotha Apprentice Engineer

a2457, how do you build a car without suspension blocks?

15. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Using rotors and cleverness.

16. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

Attach wheels to rotors, then use a simple little programmable block script and bind it to your cockpit's 1~9 keys to turn/adjust speed :> Treat each set of rotors like tank treads, if you want to turn, you just increase the velocity of one side compared to the other. So to turn left, you increase the right side's rotors and decrease (or even reverse) the left side's.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  17. a2457 Senior Engineer

or read A and D with 2 sensors and a suspension block..

18. Blako Apprentice Engineer

I have not played in months but if its still similar.

Power: the torque applied to the wheels. Improves turning when steering wheels apply a push or pull.
    Dampening: The suspension's resistance to any motion especially used in bounce reduction.
    Strength: The suspension's force being applied to lift the vehicle off the ground.

Front wheel friction HIGH: Improves turning and can lead to roll overs.
    Front wheel friction LOW: Hurts turning prevents roll over.
    Rear wheel friction HIGH: Improves straight line stability and can lead to roll overs.
    Rear wheel friction LOW: Improves turning, decreased stability, potential drift car.

Dampening HIGH: a level car, no bounce, poor offroad performance.
    Dampening LOW: potential bounce, improved absorption of bumps.

GYROs: Improves straight line stability, prevents roll overs, hurts turning.

19. a2457 Senior Engineer

actually i prefer that solution, and to set driving speed...
    i use a few "presets" its like gears on a regular gearbox.
    RPM*tourqe has to be constant, so as RPM goes down, tourqe goes down.
    thatway it drives a bit more to my taste, i can have crawler speed, for fine stuff like attaching a trailer,
    and i can have high speed too. naturally tractive efforth goes down at high speeds.
    i allso have a key programmed to switch off the rotors with a set brake force, hence acting as a brake.
    and i have a reverse key too, naturally for having all the gear ratios for reverse too.
    its verry comfy to be honest, and feels nothing like a suspension block.
    allso boogie axles give a ride far smoother than any suspension block would.
    my stuff is mostly articulated steering, up to 40 degree articulation makes them things quite agile.

20. Bipin Trainee Engineer

I'm surprised at how many people don't know of this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296661800&searchtext=hoverbike It's a wonderful mod that has really opened the door with my vehicle-building. In particular, there are 4 different wheels/suspensions in the mod, all of which are compact and great for smaller, more nimble vehicles such as jeeps, mining or maintenance vehicles. You can easily make wheeled vehicles that fit within the width and height of a large ship/station cube, which is the kind of environment in which this mod really shines - driving on flat surfaces or other blocks (e.g. around bases).

21. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Thanks for all the helpful advice. right now I made an over kill land battleship.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

upload blueprint to workshop and share link... Looks awesome

23. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

I'll get around to it this weekend. I'd like to add some QoL things such as timer blocks so I can make action groups for the weapons, like an economy mode where only enough of them are on for to get full coverage without wasting ammo.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

that would be awesome

25. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

Does this counts as a good rover? :D

Its a bit too simple, though.

All my rovers:

• Like Like x 1
  26. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

All simple means it that it's easier to make in survival.

Taaaaa-Daaaaa

27. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

It's so simple, that it took me literally 30 seconds to weld it's blueprint in survival) This chassis is surprisingly durable and controllable, i even been able to mine with it.

28. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

To which rover you mean? One of mine or someones elses' rover?

29. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

my small rover design ended up being fairly basic, but drives on planets well enough.

[​IMG]
    2 batteries, an oxygen tank, ore detectors, one medium container for storage, and a gattling turret for light defense, it's proven moderately capable against sabbaroids (if they don't get to close) and hostile drones (if they don't land any clean hits of their own), but it's not meant for combat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. a2457 Senior Engineer

340 km / hr is ferrari speed, not rover speed :D
    other than that its a verry nice build, i might made it wider by 1-3 blocks to more stability.
    how well does it drive when the surface is far less smooth ?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.