Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Building a Good Rover

Discussion in 'General' started by WhiteWeasel, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. StanH Trainee Engineer

2. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

mine? ya, it rolls a bit easily at high speeds, but it has gyros for stability, and can take some good sized leaps before any systems get damaged, but once a wheel gets scrapped it's more or less helpless. I try to drive carefully, the batteries hold about 2-3 days of power at full activity, so there's not much reason to rush.

3. a2457 Senior Engineer

using more wheels with softer suspension will most likely yield better results.
    for now i have only an old gpu for a few days as i sold my r9 270 allready, and the r9 380 will arrive 3 days from now, and i still have to fix that (i bought it broken), afterwards i will post a few deisgns i made.
    sadly at the moment i can't run SE at all :D gf6100 is not quite the card for it.
    and lets hope the r9 380 does not have too many problems.

4. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

I just finished this and will probably publish it before I go to bed. It's a zippy little hellion-like assault car. Forgot how fast it goes in Km/hr but when attacking the mining outposts assuming it's in a smooth area like a desert or plains it's fast enough that it can actually kite the stations missile turrets and most of the Gatling gun fire. Armed with three gatling guns and a interior turret in the back. The only real flaw it has is that it requires a small reactor to charge the battery, but wheels use next to no power, a full charge battery will last a whole day on this thing.

I can see two or three of these making an excellent raiding party.

[​IMG]

5. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

No, i meant mine, whch is on video and which is your quote about.)
    Gonna try yours today, though.

We all really should stop posting there without nickname-link or atleast quote :D Who's rover you meant? :woot:

6. a2457 Senior Engineer

any that goes 340 km/hr offroad :D

7. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

and tries to do hairpin turns on wet grass and donuts on ice lakes? :D

8. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

Here is my first attempt at creating an exploration rover, the Glowworm :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With enough cargo space to make a good mining trip, lateral lights to help you in the darkest nights. Only one battery but when full it gives it a nice endurance, and anyway there is a solar panel on the top. Two air vents on the sides, as I designed it to be used on earth-like planets. It only requires one mod to be built and I think that at least some of you already know it : Darth Biomech's Rover Cockpit.

Link to the workshop : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=561362501

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  9. wuubb Apprentice Engineer

Very informative, and makes everything make alot more sense.

I'm still having trouble though, I 'm trying to make a small, fast, all terrain rover, but even adjusting the settings in a similar way that he did still makes my rover flip over. Is there some sort of minimum mass requirement and maybe my rover is too overpowered for it's small mass (its like 1500kg)

Another question: do you need to put gyros on a land vehicle? Without them, my rover flips even more hysterically and I cant realign it in midair sometimes like I can with gyros on it

10. Sinbad Senior Engineer

If I get an offroad rover to be stable at 60km/h I'm happy. 20-40 when on really rough terrain. 100km/h on block roads is pretty good. Expecting to be Hitting 300+ off road and staying controlable is asking keen to bend reality further than the jump drive does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blako Apprentice Engineer

Leave a heavy armor block in front of the suspension to guard it from impacts. If the suspension survives but the rubber explodes...
    Pistons to the rescue.
    [​IMG]

Is the vehicle taller than it is wide? Bring the center of mass down as a test. (console>info>CenterOfMass indicator)
    Does the vehicle turn too quickly? Lower Steering Speed.
    Does the vehicle have trouble going straight? Increase rear axle friction.
    Does the vehicle slide sideways? Increase middle axle friction.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

Well, I do agree on "explanation" part and maybe even "racing" part, but I completely disagree on off-road principles and settings. They have no touch with the reality.
    I'd even make my own vid only about off-road, but my english speech is kinda low level.

Now I'm gonna check one thing ingame and will try to explain how I do settings for off-road.

13. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

So, I checked all I wanted an can explain my point of view.

The goal was to explain how to get realistic offroad suspension. And the goal of realistic offroad suspension - to provide most constant contact with the surface.
    Though, i'm ill and not in good mood for vids, so better ask questions, if you are interested.

14. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

I never knew that about the Height Offset / Strength, thanks for taking the time to explain it :>

15. Blako Apprentice Engineer

RiPerKilla Good Video, How did you get transparent hud?

16. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

Just took some textures from WarbrosGUI mod, some modified by myself. Not a complicated task.
    Here, if you want. GUI

17. wuubb Apprentice Engineer

So after viewing both videos on here, I've amended my rover designs, but I'm still not getting the desired handling. Specifically, there appears times when my rover hits and invisible rock and bounces insanely high and flips, and it appears regardless of what setting damping is at that the suspension is too stiff. My height offset also appears to be inverse of riperkilla's video (setting low makes the vehicle drag on the ground). I've made a video to show what I'm talking about:

The center of mass is right between the seats 1 block below, so about as low as it can get.

EDIT: it also got stuck in the video randomly and I'm still not sure why, there's plenty of clearance.

18. billa Trainee Engineer

'm no expert but here are a few tips for a good rover experience.

1. Build them in the SPH. The symetry there works nicely for rovers. Then you can either copy the ship file from the SPH dir to the VAB dir or use the subassembly manager to stick it on your ship.

2. When driving: Disable the breaks on all wheels in front of the center of mass. This prevents flipping when breaking.

3. When driving: On big rovers or those with lots of wheels, it can help to disable steering on all but the front two wheels. Or possibly leave it on for front two and back two. It depend on the rover.

4. Keep the center of mass horizontally centered but as low as possible.

5. Build wide wheel bases.

6. When driving: Switch to docking mode or disable the torque on all reaction wheels and command pods.

7. Know the wheels max speed. Then stay a ways below that.

8. The orange wheels suck

9. If driving by jet/rcs/rocket power rather than wheel power, then use the aircraft wheels. They can move faster. Though you'll need a steering solution, I've used a pair of other wheels in the front.

10. Put a landing gear or two on the top. Then if you flip over, you can deploy them to flip yourself back.

11. Kerbals can repair popped tires, just get out, walk near and right click on the wheel. (you probably know this but some people don't)

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Sinbad Senior Engineer

umm... I have no SPH

20. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

Too much strength. Way too much for such light rover. It seems there should be less then 15%.
    And Height Offset is reversed because you put suspensions up side down.
    Also by setting height offset to zero you limited suspension travel by half. Rotate suspensions 180 degrees, so shock absorber faces up, and set lowest Offset(or just set highest Offset, it will probably do the job), then set the amount of strength, when wheels are somewhere in the middle or closer to bottom of suspension. It will definitely behave better, just don't wait the off-road vehicle to turn on speeds higher than 80km/h.

Dude, it's not Kerbal Space Forum :D

21. wuubb Apprentice Engineer

I was like: "what orange wheels?..."

22. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

I thought it's clear enough from my video 6_9
    Though I speak english not good enough sometimes.

Sit in the rover, look at the suspension of your rover. There is upper and lower possible position of the wheel. Wheels of your rover now are in the middle because of zero offset, as seen in the video. Make Offset minimal(if suspension is oriented correctly) or maximal(if not. Seems it doesn't really matter, just "inverts" Offset values) so wheels will tend to be in the lowest position, then change Strength (NOT Offset), until wheels will be somewhere between middle and lowest position, closer to middle. It's what I do for my rovers.

Note that wheels have weird bug - if rover stays calm, to see the effect of changed values you need to move it a bit, turn wheels, etc.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  23. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

Just've built a truck with semitrailer :D
    Loaded it with 1.2kton of steelplates and it was ok.

24. Sathurn Trainee Engineer

Strength should be tuned to the weight of the vehicle. Carefully set the strength to a high number. (slowly or you will flip)
    Driver over an obstacle, or a ramp. Note if there is a movement in the suspensions. Lower strength until you get the desired deflection.

25. a2457 Senior Engineer

a bit of hint. if you plan to have 4 wheel steering, then set the maimum steering angle to something low in value.
    if you had say.. 30 degree with only fron wheels steering, then 15 degree on both will do about the same turning radious.
    turning speed of the wheels should be halfed too.

depending ont he center of mass along the length of the given rover, you may choose different front and rear maximum steering angles.
    a front heavy thingy will need less steering on the front, and mroe to the back.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.