Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Building a small carrier

Discussion in 'General' started by EternityTide, Jun 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

Its simply a name rather than a class. I feel as though you're thinking of Titan class ships. Which are from eve and sins of a solar empire :p

2. Wizlawz Master Engineer

or maybe he / she is just using latin / greek names for his / her ship(s)

Cronos / Kronos Forever btw :p

3. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

this ^ :)

4. Evaris Trainee Engineer

5. Smeghammer Trainee Engineer

Man, I need to step up my game on carrier designing. All of you people are absolutely brilliant.

Question for the master builders, what would make for an acceptable hangar floor to prevent damage to the carrier from thruster wash? I currently use pads of heavy armor roughly matched to the ship size, but I'm open to suggestions that are more efficient and/or don't come with random patches of camo.

6. Evaris Trainee Engineer

I wouldn't call myself a master builder, but..

Make the heavy armor pure black or pure white? It makes it nearly impossible to see any camo effect. Maximizing saturation will do the same as well for colors.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  7. Eternal Visitor Trainee Engineer

I generally use landing gear as my hanger bay floors, to secure ships for transit, haven't had a physics explosion in a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my design is pretty basic, but my boarding house class ultralight carrier is well equipped.

8. Wizlawz Master Engineer

slightly recessed landing gear {manual lock / unlock} and turn off the lift thrusters and just move forward, when coming in to land turn off the lift / bottom thrusters again and lock the landing gear.

9. hellatze Apprentice Engineer

huh? why i wondering this thread didnt go to comunitty creation?

10. Harrekin Master Engineer

Put welders under the landing pads.

11. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@EternityTide Great start man. The front is imposing. It says "I am here to dispense death, brace yourself." I also like the slightly unusual shape, but I agree that you should increase the variation on the sides with ribs etc. Not just for the look either, they offer good passive defense against kinetic weapons by denying them a clean hit. As for the rear, I often think a good rear engine array can make or break a ship, so maybe spend a little extra time on that. Try to make sure the armour at the back is longer at the top or sides than it is at the bottom or vice versa, a square rear is not desirable... :D Hopefully the rear engines will finish the look and sort out any visual problems. I also think just two Large Thrusters at the front is a little optimistic. This ship will probably not be agile enough to use it's rear engines to stop. If by chance it is, 180 degree turns with a belly full of fighters is not advised!

I guess you don't need me to tell you a lick of paint would be good! And remember, lines front to back for sleek look, lines side to side for chunky look.
    Also, given the amount of heavy armour, I think you could call this a small "battlecarrier", it'll need a lot of guns though. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

@Smeghammer Eternal Visitor is on the right track, large ship landing gear are a good shout for hangers, much more stable than small ship LG or just connectors. Blast doors are a nicer looking alternate to heavy armour, but be careful with the attachment points.
    @ATalkingRock Very nice work. That's a good looking ship.

Since this is a discussion on carriers, does anyone else use just light armour for carriers? I do. If I don't, they become unbearably slow.

This is the Athena Carrier, she was supposed to be a light carrier...

Focused on rapid response, she can deploy 12 Locust Bombers, 4 Scarab Strike Bombers and 2 Barracuda Heavy Bombers at once. At least it will if I ever get round to finishing it. I hate building carriers.

12. EternityTide Senior Engineer

minor alteration to carrier design. In the midst of exams right now, so updates will be slow:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. EternityTide Senior Engineer

Because it's a general discussion, Hellatze. Now either contribute your own carrier designs or actual constructive advice, otherwise please remove yourself from this thread.

14. Dreokor Senior Engineer

He was actually temp-banned, so you will have some peace for some time.

15. EternityTide Senior Engineer

Oh. ok. Happy days, I could do with some peace and quiet.

16. torgo Apprentice Engineer

If it took
    to bring this about, then I say

I'm running into similar issues on my kind-of-a-carrier build. It looks like a giant flying dresser so far, with 6 drawers for the ships.

17. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

I like big ships and I cannot lie
    you engineers can't deny
    That when a hull gets built in a distant part of space
    With launch bays all over the place
    You pull Gs, want to accelerate raw
    Blast pirates with some Shock-and-Awe[TM]
    When they blunder by wandering
    and your HUD starts to ping
    I find a ship in that shape attractive
    but my sensors won't go active
    My colleagues tried to warn me
    But with those lines that ship makes [DELETED]

@EternityTide Looks like you have a nice pocket carrier going at least. I like the unconventional shape of it. The only advice I have echoes what's already been said: do something with those plain, plain sides.

Also, you can safely ignore any post made by hellatze. He is an idiot. Somebody trained him wrong as a joke.

18. EternityTide Senior Engineer

I think I might have to alter the classification of this from "Small carrier" to "Medium-to-large heavy frigate"
    Just some stuff I have done this evening:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Looks pretty good.

It now resembles some kind of insect, you need to add some solar panel wings.

20. Evaris Trainee Engineer

By my count your ship is ~175-200 meters long. That puts it squarely in cruiser class length, not frigate class (Frigates in real life are usually ~100 meters long), last I checked.

But maybe I'm just too picky when it comes to applying real world terminology into what people call their ships in games. And/or my block counting skills could be off.

21. EternityTide Senior Engineer

my bad. will improve on terminology next time.

22. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

For terminology, just use "<noun> class <type of thing>". For me it works nearly as well as anything navy-ish or borrowed from some other fictional canon. Of course, the one big ship I've published doesn't look like it belongs in any navy -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=457346539

Anyways, that new tail makes it look sort of like a tadpole. What's in the tail? Is there a "look" you're going for or something that inspired you?

23. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

It looks pretty cool, it kinda represents a lizard. I'm not sure about the large hexagon on the back though.

24. EternityTide Senior Engineer

The development is slow at the moment. I have the idea, the actual construction takes a lot loner.
    The tail is the upper part of the exhaust sheath that protects the central thruster from overhead bombardment.

25. Textor Junior Engineer

The modifications to the sides definitely make it look much better, now.

26. Evaris Trainee Engineer

By the way Eternity, have to ask, what do you think I could do to fix the aesthetics on my frigate?

Or well have to ask anyone in general willing to look at it what I can do to get mine to look less... blah.

27. Textor Junior Engineer

Post some screens of it and I'm sure you'll get lots of tips.

28. Evaris Trainee Engineer

you mean like this post from up the page?

29. Textor Junior Engineer

Yes, just like that :)

30. Textor Junior Engineer

I usually hide the blast doors behind armor. Maybe some slopes flowing inward. I could also see rounding out the exterior of the bridge somewhat, since it is a bit boxy at the moment. I also would expand the walls of the carrier a little and recess those things on the sides so they are more protected from landing accidents or enemy fire.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.