Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Building Massive Ships SQL

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Tamagotchii, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

For the last couple of (Months) I have been trying to pull a massive ship 36533 blocks 74x32 out of a (printer) and have miserably failed until this morning.
    I successfully actually printed this ship (45 minutes) unfortunately with the help benefit and nearly infinite (welder speed) of creative mode.

I was finally able to print this ship in creative mode but nowhere near possible in survival mode. Why?
    In creative mode there is not much reference to an SQL database other than record of block placement when building things so materials do not have to be inventoried or a material count to be kept up with.
    It seems the conveyor network lags out in survival mode while trying to keep up with the massive amounts of constant materials moving within the SQL database via from cointainers to conveyors and into the welders and finally out of the database and I think this may have to do maybe possibly with the SQL data side of things and not the physics side. The server runs SQLlite which in itself is not designed for querying and tracking massive multiple databases. is there a faster solution? could MySQL be an option to dedicated server operators?

my goal is to create this via a printer that I engineered in ( survival )mode.

some things I have tried
    rotor welders. = welders bind up in the welded projection.
    pistons welders 2 x walls center to outside method. = too many welders too much lag sim speed 0.07
    piston welders 1x wall side pull method. = too many welders too much lag.
    Piston projection pull blueprint through a floor of welders. = piston clang projector ejects itself everytime
    Timed piston increments all methods. = materials cant get to the welders fast enough. also too slow a weld speed for piston speed.
    No timers-shared inertia-axis forces set Tracked pistons projection pull blueprint through a floor of welders. = worked in creative mode ((45 minutes)) ship is fully built. incredible.

2. sioxernic Senior Engineer

The game is also not designed for 74x32 ships in the first place.

3. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

how come? after its built the thing works fine.
    --- Automerge ---
    Here's the video it worked.

4. sioxernic Senior Engineer

The game was never meant to build massive ships like that, and builds of that size is your own responsibility. The game was designed for ships similar in size to the red ship.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

What’s a “74x32” ship? Are you talking about 74 blocks long by 32 blocks wide? And, if so, why is that considered “big”?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Calaban Junior Engineer

I believe he was saying his array of large grid welders was 74x32....

And he was wondering why the conveyor system was careening through spreadsheet shuffling hell to the point of CPU suicide, why the welder block placement across a 74x32 array of cross connected welders was choking on a brick sideways, Why the world physics engine wondered what it did to deserve any of this, Why the projected hologram didnt render and update every single newly added block in real time, and why thirty three thousand, five hundred and thirty three block ship cannot be printed in survival mode, why the number of steel plates in survival mode is such a hindrance...

.. and all with a straight face, no less.

I am still undecided on if the OP was a joke or not...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Referring to this @Spaceman Spiff , and it is considered big.
    [​IMG]
    This is a large ship as envisioned by Keen, and it is the size the the game is built, balanced and designed around. This is a "big ship".
    Now if you make something bigger than that, it would obviously be considered big by the games design.

Also, the person I was talking to called his ship massive as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

lol yeah my processor fan was screaming :)

9. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

You don't need that many welders. Try checkerboarding the welders to halve that nightmare.
    Try the 2 piston weld wall approach with checkerboard welders walls. Try it running 1 wall at a time

If that doesn't work you could, I don't know, lose maybe 20000 blocks and still have a ginormous ship?

Or the guaranteed approach would be to have a row of 32 17 welders that sweeps across 1 layer at a time via pistons.

10. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

The checkerboard pull through floor approach seems so far to be working in survival sim speeds holding @ .80 - .85 I notice only about 4-6 blocks total are welding every 10-15 seconds or at any given time tho. it is not lagging at all its just extremely slow. I also modified the tracks added gyros and thrusters seems to be eliminating the ejection issues..

11. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Get it done now while you can :)

The MP patch seems to have nerfed welding speed.

12. Tamagotchii Trainee Engineer

omg no....

13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I’m nothing but a scruffy nerfherder anyway, so what difference does it make?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.