Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Building mechanics

Discussion in 'General' started by willy, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. willy Trainee Engineer

How will the Building Mechanics Work

2. willy Trainee Engineer

It looks like layers are slowly added to each block as you weld on it.

3. TechyBen Junior Engineer

I hope some sort of game editor or "creative" mode is applied for quick editing and design.

4. willy Trainee Engineer

maybe not a creative mode at least not like minecraft where you had all the resources you want. That would give you no reason to go collect minerals, and take away from the game.

5. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

I'm hoping for something in the realm of an external designer that will place a blueprint "skeleton" that you then construct. Then you can always go back later and add blocks on however you want to your already constructed ship (i.e. the surprise 3/3 video).

6. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

I think Blueprints sound great as it allows for designs to be tested in a "creative" environment. THEN resources invested into it to actually build it.

7. TechyBen Junior Engineer

Yeah. Anyone requesting only a limited (by resources/in game credits) build mode forgets how designs and most building is done. Having no way to actual test or plan a build makes things very difficult. Requesting a "blueprint" mode would be extra work for the dev team. But by all means a separate editor/planner just for ship designs would be great. But the easier alternative is a level/spawn area (as in minecraft) where you can be creative, but nothing there counts as the "game". There need not even be any link between the two modes, but importing designs (perhaps appear as wireframe/see through in game) for the building stage would be awesome.

8. willy Trainee Engineer

ok, ya i see what your saying now, that would make building a lot easier.

9. willy Trainee Engineer

When placing blocks into the terrain does it dig out that sector or does it stick through the walls?

10. willy Trainee Engineer

I saw landing gear on the larger ships and i wonder if a smaller kind will be available for fighters, the one in the video didnt seem to have any.

11. 3trip Apprentice Engineer

If you look in the alpha teasers, when the guy is building the wall, he places blocks wich appear as a grid, then something happens (likely him pressing a button) and the blocks appear, I suspect this is some sort of pre construction template/grid thing.

12. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

My guess is that the building in the teaser 3/3 video is not representative of the actual build mode. I'm thinking it is likely equivalent to a creative mode or something.

Look again, there is a fighter-sized landing leg clearly visible at 0:29 in the announcement video (right under the cockpit between the two front prongs).

Also visible in the video are 1:2 slopes with a lower angle than the 1:1 slopes most commonly used. I hope this is the case; 1:2 slopes would make nice sleek ships much easier to make.

13. 3trip Apprentice Engineer

Maybe urablahblah, but we don't see the actual non creative mode in the alpha video, just him upgrading blocks.
    that frame might be what you get when you press the build button after making a template.

14. Teod Trainee Engineer

We don't see player in the process of placing these frame blocks, but we clearly see that not all of them are in place when he starts welding. So it's probably not the pre-made template. I'm not sure if we really need it. Building one ship over and over again seems a bit boring. But it's probably useful piece of convenience...

My guess of current mechanics is:
    Blank blocks (frame/template/hollow blocks, I'm not sure how to call them) are placed and removed easily, like in Minecraft creative mode, but after welding they become hard to brake/remove. It seems to be clever mechanic, to be honest: It keeps you able to easily shape and re-shape your ship during construction (maybe even before having enough resources to complete it), but makes your enemies unable to just disassemble it in the middle of a fight.
    Is there something similar to welding in Starmade? I never played it...

15. 3trip Apprentice Engineer

Star made is very much like minecraft when placing blocks.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.