Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Can someone please explain the new respawn mechanics?

Discussion in 'General' started by M1_Abrams, Apr 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. M1_Abrams Trainee Engineer

I just came back from not playing in 6 months at least, and I can't understand this at all. If I kill myself once, it automatically spawns me at my survival kit. If I kill myself twice in a row, then I get to the spawn screen, but even then, it only lets me pick my survival kit! My other medbay (yes it's 100% powered and belongs to me) just says "Not Ready" no matter how long I sit in the spawn screen waiting.

This is on a vanilla multiplayer server. How can I (or my faction buddies) choose my medbay to spawn to now?

2. Malware Master Engineer

The entire point of the new mechanic is to counter the medbay teleportation exploit. As long as that checkbox is on in the world settings, you aren't allowed to medbay teleport. You need to actually travel. I.e. you need to actually use the ships and vehicles you build. This is something that the community has been asking for for a long time.

As I said, if you're in control of the server, you can switch this off and regain your ability to medbay teleport.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CalenLoki Trainee Engineer

You can also use laser antena to connect two bases. Then switch off medbay in the base you're in right now, then use remote control (via LA) and turn medbay that you want to teleport to.

Exploit is still there. It just requires tiny bit more hassle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. M1_Abrams Trainee Engineer

So you're saying that the game respawns you at the closest available medbay? I don't want to grind down my medbay to try it out in case it makes me start over.

Sorry, but that doesn't quite answer my question. If I grind down the survival kit I currently spawn at, will it begin spawning me at the closest available medbay? Or will it force me to restart in a new spawn ship? I don't want to try it out and lose everything.

5. Malware Master Engineer

Yes.

6. Roxette Senior Engineer

If you can make a timer block, add that, configure it to turn on the survival kit / medbay after a 2 minute delay, then turn off the survival kit / medbay, start the timer, then respawn.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Calaban Junior Engineer

Well, truth be told; killing yourself after disabling the means of resurrecting... and hoping it actually works... and hoping the other end is working over there- and hoping to still keep it all, and hoping you didnt mess it all up terribly in some way. oh! and dreading that you may have misunderstood some key and vital detail, as you pull the plug...

Some of philosophical leanings would call that the very Meaning of Life... and Death.. (and Respawning) in Clang's Universe.

[ooh! just gave myself cosmic horror chills]

8. Roxette Senior Engineer

Or determine the maximum distance you can travel with nothing other than a spacesuit and not exhaust power or oxygen, and keep your medbays within that distance :)

9. M1_Abrams Trainee Engineer

Thanks. I have to disagree that this "exploit" was a problem. Medbay teleporting doesn't let you move materials or do anything useful at all, and it's still apparently easily circumvented with timer blocks like Roxette said. But w/e

10. Malware Master Engineer

That's your prerogative, and a not insignificant amount of people agree with you, but the fact is, an equally not insignificant amount of people do consider it a problem. Hence - the option!

And no, this isn't a perfect solution in any way, but at least it adds a little effort to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roxette Senior Engineer

Citation please :p

12. Malware Master Engineer

Not my problem ;)

I have just been part of discussions about this with disgusted references to this exploit

I have no desire to convince any of you. Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant to me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Roxette Senior Engineer

Maybe... and I think this is an idea worthy of discussion ...the game option settings could accommodate more detailed control, but presented in a simplified form, as a list of well-described gameplay formats or options to choose from ? The present list of settings (with terse or non-existent descriptions) already confuse newcomers and don't even include some settings which need to be hand-edited into the save files.

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Just remember the M.A.S.H. song while you’re doing all this: “That suicide is painless, It brings on many changes, And I can take or leave it if I please.”

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.