Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Can we get actual train physics?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Apr 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Train building shouldn't be so difficult in this game. Give us some actual blocks do make trains easily.

We've all been there.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Uh-h-h-h-h-h...I’ve never build a train. Nope.

3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

You would think Keen would have by now since the Rail block has been hidden since almost the beginning. :)

4. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

...that´s one of the reasons I´ve built most of my latest vessels with a front inpired by the lovely Dash-9 locomotive. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Making a train is the easy part. The problem is the track. There's no easy way to make curves and inclines using standard blocks. A set of blocks that made proper curves and inclines when assembled correctly would be a lot of blocks.

Someone made just what we need as a mod in ME. Naturally, it doesn't work in SE.

• Like Like x 1
  6. odizzido Junior Engineer

Building a train in SE, practically, sounds like it would just be more expensive and more restrictive than a regular wheeled vehicle. For it it be anything beyond cool but useless it would need to offer something. Things I could think of would be:

Automated transport, acting like a cheap conveyor between mining bases
    Powered by the grid it's on, so it can run off wind power
    Easy to build, it can't take five hours to place all the blocks or it will never really be used.

Even then, I can't see it being actually good. Wheeled transport is easy enough already.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Well why would you need a wheeled vehicle. Isn't that just more restricted compared to a flying vehicle?

8. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

Sir Connery, you probably have already seen it, still, take a look if you haven´t.

9. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Yeah I know how you can build a faux-train in the game, but it's kinda finicky. I'd like actual train physics and stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. odizzido Junior Engineer

There are benefits to wheels. They're far cheaper energy wise and construction cost wise. If resources and energy were not a concern I agree, flying is just better. That's exactly why I said that trains need to offer something. They can't be more expensive to build and also be more restrictive than wheels if you expect people to use them.

11. Kalantris Trainee Engineer

Also the adventures of crossing rough terrain and the capacity to carry around a lot of stuff.

12. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Trains can be more easily automated to carry people/stuff so you don't need to drive it yourself. Also they can be more easily powered by the grid they are on (assuming there were actual train physics) thereby saving on energy costs. Also they don't explode and get injured as easily as wheeled vehicles.

13. odizzido Junior Engineer

Yes, that's what I posted just above the one you made before, connery. And if those things are enough to outweigh a more restrictive platform(and possibly costly) then people will use them. That's all I am saying, trains need to be a better choice for at least some conditions for them to be used for more than cool factor. But considering how effective and cheap wheeled vehicles are I think this will be difficult to do. Just something I think needs to be solved.

14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I built a train system a while back that works really well, but it used wheel suspensions that, until recently, did not have a "thrust override" feature that thrusters have always had, so running the train meant holding down the W key. Now that this capability is in the game you might see more trains.

Again, making the train is the easy part. It's the track, and the ability to make correct curves and inclines, that makes it difficult to have working trains. Trains on the workshop tend to leave the rails because curves are too tight. There's no easy way to construct proper curves and inclines with existing blocks.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.