Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Can you "paste" sections of a structure?

Discussion in 'General' started by FoolishOwl, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Perhaps this is a dumb question. Somewhere I thought I saw a reference to being able to copy and paste sections of a structure while in creative mode, and that when you paste, it will snap to an existing structure, as if it were a single block. Is there a trick to doing this? Can it be done?

I was trying to do this with a simple structure I wanted to use repeatedly (a landing pad for a space station), but while it popped in the correct orientation, I could not snap it into place. I could put one right next to the other, so the edges seemed to meet flush, but they were still separate structures.

It hadn't really occurred to me to try this before, but I'm at something of a loss how people are constructing massive structures with repeating elements if they've got nothing more helpful than lines or rectangles of bricks, and the brittle symmetry mode.

2. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

It's tricky, you need to be pointing at your existing structure to make it snap on. Or you could try merge blocks once the pieces are in place (if you dare to tempt clang).

3. Roxette Senior Engineer

When you select and copy the structure you're going to paste, have the mouse over a/the block that you will use to connect the structures. When you paste it, zoom out as needed so you can place the one block onto the other - usually some fiddling with zoom and orientation will get you there. The preview transparent image of the block to be pasted will snap onto the existing blocks when it's right.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Seems like placing the cursor on the point of attachment was the critical detail I'd missed. It works, but it is fussy.

They weren't kidding about the learning curve. I've finished CRPGs in less time than I've spent just figuring out the basics of assembling things in SE.

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I think there are some factors.

You have to be close enough to the target grid to place a block in order for the game to allow you to paste your grid as an attachment to the target.

If you end up anywhere inside the pasted grid it won't allow the paste job.

If the grid's bounding box is overlapping another grid you may have issues (check me on this as it might have changed).

6. dispair Apprentice Engineer

Yea, bounding box is important. I extend one block by itself on the "part" and the thing I am attaching to. Helps you see that they are properly aligned. Bigger pieces might be faster, but smaller pieces are easier to see.

Just make several parts and leave them hanging in space.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.