Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Cargo-less Connectors

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Ronin1973, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There are times when connectors can be a frustrating to use. When using a sorter to pull inventory out of one ship/station and into another, the sorter works fine but the inventory fills the joined connectors first rather than being deposited into storage within the ship. Also, production blocks will fill the connector if its closer than a cargo block.

I'd like to see an addition version of the connector blocks that simply lack any storage space: all the same functionality except storage (if the throw-out and collect-all functionality have to go with it, then that's fine too).

A new set of blocks means less disruption to existing connectors and no problematic logic of turning the function on or off.

2. Tyrantissar Trainee Engineer

Wouldn't it be easier to make that cargo space optional in the already existing connectors?

Like make it impossible for any resources to get stuck in them unless there is absolutely 0 cargo space for the goods to go.

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The problem there is how to handle switching the cargo status while there is cargo in the connector. Also, that would require every cargo and production block to check every connector every tick it's pushing something out of inventory. For simplicity, I would just create a new block that has zero cargo properties. It would function like a conveyor with the locking capability of the existing connector; much less fuss.

4. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

Alternatively, they could make connector cargo like collector cargo, actively pushed out to other containers unless there is no other space

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Yes, but connectors function in two directions rather than one. Which way should a connector push? Out or in?

What I'm suggesting keeps things really simple. Simple is good. No changes to current block functionality. I'd be happy with the same model just change the main color from yellow to something else (like black) to indicate that it's the version that doesn't store cargo.

6. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

This isn't a bad idea at all, but why not just have a check box you can access from the control panel for the existing connector? No cargo mode or something?

7. DivineWrath Junior Engineer

Something that I've tried and works well was putting a sorter block on the ship instead of the station. Instead of having the station side sorter push the goods to the ship, but fail by filling up the connector blocks first, I had my ship side sorter pull from the station and the connector blocks. My ships that had such a design didn't get cargo lost in the connectors.

I would recommend that you do this on ships that can afford to have multiple connectors or have a complex conveyor network, as putting the sorter right after the connector makes the connection one way. You need a means to get cargo in, and a means to get cargo out.

8. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

If only we could just slap a connector port on a container...

9. Legas Trainee Engineer

Imo, all blocks that contain inventories should have options to:
    - black/white list things (like the sorter)
    - pull all
    - push all

That way, if you want a cargoless connector, just check the "push all" setting and it wouldn't hold cargo, if an item enters from the bottom it would be pushed to the top, if the item enters from the top it gets pushed to the bottom.

Plus you wouldn't need to use ridiculous 2.5m³ sorters to make self arranging inventories and smart refineries.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.