Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

cargo ships and random encounters?

Discussion in 'General' started by saxmo, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. saxmo Apprentice Engineer

Is it just me, or has the cargo ships check box in the game settings menu been greed out since planets came out? I love testing out my combat ships on. I understand that they don't really do anything besides coast threw open space with turrets that shoot at you and booby traps. But I missed thoes. Since planets I've also only been able to engage 1 pirate ship and drones, but that's it.

Any idea what's going on with the spawning?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Malware Master Engineer

Cargo ships aren't compatible with planets, they just crash. Don't know about the done stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. saxmo Apprentice Engineer

That's the thing. I know they art comparable with planets, but I thought they would still be available for non-planet game setups.

4. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

Its possible to enable them if you tweak the source code, Blue drake as a video where he's on a planet and tries to capture a military transporter.

5. saxmo Apprentice Engineer

I can't wait to see random encounters include npc ships that land and take off from a planet. Maybe even something like civilian traffic that is flowing between a planet, a space station and Points of interest in the area.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

I'm not gonna say" never gonna happen" because thats what a lot of people said about planets a year ago.

But i don't think we would see this before the game is more optimized and stable, because that would make a lot of trafic and data to process, and the game is allready having a hard time like it is now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Axtel_Sturnclaw Trainee Engineer

To enable cargo ships, all you need to do is change the line:
    Code:
    <CargoShipsEnabled>false</CargoShipsEnabled>
    in your world's Sandbox.sbc to:
    Code:
    <CargoShipsEnabled>true</CargoShipsEnabled>
    They still work, just the front-end GUI checkbox is disabled.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Taurec Trainee Engineer

How can i edit the Sandbox.sbc? I tried it with Notepad++, but it don't work.

9. Krougal Senior Engineer

You getting a bunch of "garbage" ?
    You've got save game compression turned on.
    Even though it doesn't change the extension, it is an archive file at this point, so you need to unzip it, edit it, zip it back up.
    That or turn off save compression.

10. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

I play planets with cargoships turned on, and yeah you have to edit your sbc file. If your not useing them with planets your good to go, but if youll be on a planet make sure you have cleanup turned on as well in sbc or after a few days you game will chug. If your on earthlike ships will rain around you in a 1k to 20k-ish circle around where ever you are. If you are on a moon none will land on the side of the moon your on but the other side of the moon will look like a graveyard after a few days.
    If you have the computer to do it try earthlike with no easy start base, feels kinda lile shipwreakers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Taurec Trainee Engineer

Thanks for help. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Clunas Junior Engineer

Planets + cargo ships is a ton of fun. Watching them slowly fall to their doom, only to go salvage them later. Now if they made a bit better craters...

• Like Like x 1
  13. frannic Apprentice Engineer

The checkbox is greyed out even on non planet worlds.
    However if you switch to dx9 the checkbox can be ticked.
    I guess they did that because you can start an empty world and spawn in planets afterwards.

I tottaly agree with you that it has taken long enough. I even made a bug report about it, and it was answered in a stream.
    They told us it wasn't high on the priority list but would get fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

It probably has to do with the fact that cargo ships have no AI/pathfinding as of right now, so they'll always crash into planets that they pass nearby. I imagine they'll need to overhaul them and install some variation of the pirate AI before they'd be willing to enable them again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

One thing I have not messed with on earthlike and cargo ships is increasing the max speed so they will be effected by gravity in not stop accelerating down at 110m/s. This may make them make more realistic craters but most likely would only destroy the ships even more so.
    Changing that would allow me to get into orbit with fan thrusters alone aswell though and would remove alot of the challange.

16. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Sure thing. If I'm not mistaken, Cargo Ships didn't have any Oxygen support. This isn't much of a deal for most ships but the Military Transporter (Spoiler). So, I believe they will be structurally overhauled (to include pressurized interiors) and will gain some basic pirate-like AI (not as offensive, though).

17. Sumyunguy Trainee Engineer

How would the new cargo ships handle planets? Would we have a spawn system that plots a trajectory that does not intersect a gravity well of a planet and/or have ships not spawn near a player who is on a planet? Or, will we see ships that can plot courses dynamically, in that they will change direction and thrust to avoid things/attack ships/flee?

Or, perhaps a combination of both that changes with current events and conditions? Maybe neither? It's something to think about, I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

All we really need are cargo ships that actually fly. If they've got autopilot telling them to go somewhere, they'll fight against gravity wells.

Some would probably still crash, but that's fine. It's the 100% kill rate given how "lifeless" cargo ships are that's the problem.

It would be nice if they fleshed out the NPC ship AI though. Cargo ships that run away from enemies would be pretty rad. In theory they'd started spicing them up with that whole "larger cargo ships will call reinforcements" thing, but it didn't work properly IIRC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sumyunguy Trainee Engineer

Agreed. Just getting cargo ships to fly to position X and stay up in the air would be a welcome start. Playing clean-up crew with shipwrecks when I try to enable them, or not having them at all, is not exactly entertaining (For me, personally).

Also, enhancing ship AI would be very helpful in terms of immersion and the like. If the building blocks for a competent AI system were present, I could see the modding community coming up with some pretty amazing ships that are would be a joy to fight/interact with, along with more options for players who seek to automate and control their contraptions in intuitive ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Krougal Senior Engineer

Not that I don't think the cargo ships and all spawned things need a lot of work, but a simple check for is there a planet in X km then I can't spawn here would have been enough to leave it enabled.

21. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

The way cargo ships work is that they spawn, constantly, within a certain radius of the player (drifting in a given direction).

It doesn't matter if they spawn away from the planet if they're moving towards it, because since they have inertial dampeners off they'll invariably be caught in the gravity well even if they just pass through its very edge. What we need is for the cargo ships to be able to fight against gravity and (at least try to) fly around planets if they're in the way.

22. Krougal Senior Engineer

No, because if they can't spawn within say 100km of a planet, then when the player is on a planet they won't spawn.
    If you are out on the edge of that range, they wouldn't make it to planet to crash because they don't persist that long if not interacted with.

23. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

...why would you want them not to spawn if you're on a planet?

Like, crashed cargo ships are great. They're fantastic, they really liven up the game and make it interesting to explore.

The problem is they crash 100% of the time.

24. Krougal Senior Engineer

Like I originally said, it isn't that I don't think the whole system needs serious work.
    It's just they could have done that as a quick fix.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.