Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Cargo Ships == New Hardcore Survival Mode

Discussion in 'Survival' started by McHendrik, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

Thinking about making a completely empty world with cargo ships to see if I can survive by hijacking one and then building from that.

Might take a few tries, since you can run out of power before you find one, get to it, and get inside it to get into the cockpit.

But the idea of being "lost in space" and having to hijack an automated cargo ship to survive... so cool.

Could also edit the save game to only start with a small ship with nothing but gyro/thrusters. Then you can stay alive long enough to intercept the cargo ship and build from it.

Might try this tonight. MUST NOT STOP WORKING TO PLAY.... so hard...

2. radam Senior Engineer

Start an empty world with these ships enabled?

3. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

Yeah. Empty world has no asteroids though... so you would essentially be forced into non-stop piracy to expand. A custom save with asteroids and nothing else could also work.

Either way, it introduces new scenarios.

4. BiggLou55 Apprentice Engineer

I was actually going to reply with this as well...

5. pipakin Apprentice Engineer

Quarrian fleet style building. A bunch of docked ships connected together.

We need the ability to weld ships together.

6. BiggLou55 Apprentice Engineer

Just connect them with landing gear and build an enclose passage. Power & control won't transfer (yet) but people can...

7. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

Take one apart and weld a new permanent ship over time from the pieces.

No refineries since there's no asteroids but eventually you'll want an assembler or 10 to make parts you can't salvage off the ships.

OK... any hope of working today is done... I'm trying this now.

8. radam Senior Engineer

Tho this is kinda easy mode... maybe the frequency should be reduced :)

9. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

I dunno, trying to capture that military transport without losing the large reactor is a non-trivial exercise.

I did catch the private sail, and it's now locked onto the military transport wreck. The transport's cockpit got me the displays for the assembler. Solar panels aimed at the sun, reactors off.

Going to figure out if I have enough stuff here for a medbay yet or not. Then I am going to make a pure-privateering small ship. I'm getting really good a matching velocities with dampeners off when I'm coming up alongside a ship too.

Also: I renamed the first beacon Jolly Roger.

It may be 'easy mode' but hell.. it's fun!

10. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

I have to find the Firefly soundtrack, I want to play that song when the Reavers are trying to hijack the ship... every time I match velocities with another target. hehehehe.

11. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Nope, you'll want to keep at least 1 refinery. Mining Carriages and Mining Transports also haul good amounts of random ore.

12. propagandawar Apprentice Engineer

Do this and setup for multiplayer. It could become a battle of acquisition.

13. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

A more likely scenario is ending up in a battle of attrition...

14. ProfessorFalken Apprentice Engineer

I think power would become a huge problem in this. Unless they make solar panels powerful enough that you can run a refinery with 20 or so panels, you will always have issues with staying alive.

15. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Most of the commercial crafts have lots of solars and/or solar components and all the small reactors come with 1kg of uranium in them.
    So as long as you don't waste fuel, you should be fine.

16. shadow250 Apprentice Engineer

those ships come along way faster than i can disassemble them.

17. Captain Snyder Apprentice Engineer

I really want to try this idea out with friends.

18. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

"You don't have to hijack every single ship that goes by" -- Capt. Jack Sparrow

I made that up.

19. Vermillion Senior Engineer

Jack would say "Commandeer" or "Borrow".

20. DJ-Col7 Apprentice Engineer

Probley "Borrow".

21. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

I think they come by a bit too often right now...

22. Conradian Moderator

"Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer on of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." - Capt. Jack Sparrow.

And that was without even a single drop of rum.

23. Drunken_doc Apprentice Engineer

It's a winner, for sure. :D

24. GroeneAppel Trainee Engineer

I dont see a problem with them coming by so often. But right now its hilariously easy to "borrow" a ship. Just use any console/keypad and open the doors. Voila, free ship.
    Obviously, factions + hacking will solve this issue. And once its hard to hijhack one it should be much more interresting.
    But right now, cargo ships are free materials.

Edit:
    Could also add for a nice "pirate" scenario, throwing you out there with an interceptor like ship, allowing you to hijjack travelling ships and build your own empire.

25. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

Well, two days of hardcore survival with nothing but cargo ships, and it's going great. I have a decent base with plenty of solar built up, bunch of uranium, medbay and a sweet tug with lots of power to go lock onto another cargo ship whenever I need to feed the beast.

The trick is never to try to actually pilot a captured ship. Just dig into the cockpit and turn it completely off. Use your tackle ship (I call mine a tug) to lock on and get aimed back to base. None of the booby traps go off that way. I like to dismantle the high-value stuff while drifting back to base. I keep a large cargo container on my tug for the purpose.

Once I'm close I maneuver the captured ship so a landing gear is in proximity to my gigantic floating junkyard (and I weld on a new one if there isn't one already) and then lock on. The giant floating junkyard of wrecks locked to each other in every freakin' direction makes me laugh every time.

It can be a challenge to figure out how to get certain items built, since you can't mine asteroids, but eventually it all comes together.

Best survival mode yet, as far as I'm concerned.

26. Tontow Apprentice Engineer

Screenshot?

27. Dequire Apprentice Engineer

I was actually building up a tug of my own, but I keep running out of tubing and steel plates. I'll have to start really taking apart ships before too long. Mostly I grab the neat looking ships I like, find an empty spot on the crashed red ship and lock it on to make it look pretty, and more like a wrecked pirate ship that's decided to set up shop at it's wreck. I'll have to post a screenshot when I can.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.