Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

"Carry your February" best carrier competition! CLOSED. Winner: draw

Discussion in 'General' started by DutchVictim, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. busboy Trainee Engineer

Haha, well, I built this one from scratch because my last carrier wasn't designed for the conveyor system. I had fun building her, but the rules did cause me some gnashing of teeth which did cause a bit of venting on my part, I know. None was aimed to be negativity to Dutch who is a class act; just me letting off steam.

Here's my last carrier next to the current one:

[​IMG]

The contest entry is about 25% larger and much more refined in design, hence only two nacelles instead of four, ammo feed for the turrets, shuttle bay doors, etc.

2. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

So many nice ships. Going to be really hard to vote, and some tough competition too. I'm reluctant to mention any names since so many deserve a mention, and I can't just list them all. Looking at these, I have mixed opinions about certain aspects of my own ship now. Some early design decisions that held it back and might have limited it's potential. Though at least it gets to stand out as being the only vertical ship design here so far. Although it's verticality perhaps depends on how you regard the fancy gravity.

Either way, keep em coming! :3

3. Skeloton Master Engineer

Wish I put more effort into mine (that's mine as in all of my ships, not just my entry), I sort of just add blocks until I can consider a ship complete.

4. cyclonelane Trainee Engineer

HOMEWORLD ALLIANCE CARRIER - "SIALIA"

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" style="font: 12px/normal Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif; text-align: left; color: rgb(235, 235, 235); text-transform: none; text-indent: 0px; letter-spacing: normal; text-decoration: none; word-spacing: 0px; white-space: normal; cursor: pointer; orphans: 2; widows: 2; font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: normal; background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">[​IMG]</a>

support craft;

6 - "crossbow" long range fighter/bombers (centrifuge style power generation replica)
    3 - KSH blue fighters on board (room for 20)
    3 - "cyclops" mining craft
    8 - "rabbit" personal shuttle/escape pods
    1 - "Nebulus" captains yacht (1 "rabbit" on board)

other features... 7 decks, 2 flight hangers, 2 flight simulators, 8 gun turrets, 4 missile turrets, working freight elevator and 4 hanger doors all mag lockable.

LINK
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=227804383

5. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

Ahah. Redacted.

6. cyclonelane Trainee Engineer

Have you published yet squid? If not you should the more, a lot of great designs out there.

7. cyclonelane Trainee Engineer

Just looked your carrier, nice build, very creative use of gravity. I had the same gravity generator issue, the glitch where they just float away but did not affect gravity.

8. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

Yeah. That bug is particually annoying with my carrier, since the gravity is a specific feature, and even a tiny amount of shifting will prevent the fun jump-to-flip feature working in the hangar. Again, as best I can tell, it seems to be caused by the shift button. So sprinting around the ship currently (whilst this bug is occurring) will slowly mess things up. Just reload if you think it's happened. I had the same problem on small ships once, but it was the cockpit instead.

Oh, and thanks, of course. : )

9. Trevish Apprentice Engineer

Well this blows, been working on my entry whenever I can, its pretty large for SE but small by the my ideal standards (200m kg last I checked) but this latest patch changed ladders even more than the previous patch, which has left huge holes all over the ship because it deleted all blocks in an area around my ladders... until they hotfix it I can't work on it >&lt;, so frustrating seeing a month of work not just functionally broken but basically destroyed. (I use ladders extensively)

10. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

I wonder if a Matriarch-class rebuild (original ship from Homeworld, wiki link) modified to hold 20 fighters instead of 10 fighters and 4 corvettes would qualify. I'm almost certain a fully faithful reconstruction wouldn't win (ships dock with vessel's surface instead of hangar bay, only one turret, probably not large and pompous enough), but it would be nice to know if it could qualify.

11. Vermillion Senior Engineer

It was announced in the last update's changelog that ladders would be replaced with passageways.

12. Captain Lackwit Trainee Engineer

As much as I want to complete my ship and submit it, I'm not sure I'll be able to entirely due to the very odd performance issues of late and certainly, the neutering of ladders has been way less than favorable by any means.

Out of curiosity, will there be other carrier contests?

13. Vermillion Senior Engineer

I find the passageways to be far more use than the ladders. They make perfect sci-fi corridors through 1x1 spaces and when turned sideways, make a serviceable bed.

This'll probably be the last carrier contest for a while. The next one for march is "Miner March"... I think.

14. Trevish Apprentice Engineer

Nope, thats not what happened though, it bugged out when they made the change.

15. busboy Trainee Engineer

Yup. The Washington now has random Gatling Turrets, missing blocks, and a definite lack of passages where the ladders used to be. I strongly recommend that everyone remember that when considering the entries. It was NOT a one for one swap of ladders to passages.

16. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

Everybody shut up and go patch the holes in your ships! It's just a few missing ladders. Your responses are so out of proportion that I just thought of a new meme. Look for it in the meme thread.

17. busboy Trainee Engineer

I will not have mine patched by the 20 FEB deadline.

18. ElectronicFunk Trainee Engineer

KNS Anchorage (CV 404)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hangar Capacity for the stock blue fighter is close to 40, with room in the stern hangar for 6-8 more. Not counting deck space and other platforms.

I may have to alter some of the turrets and conveyor systems (Didn't know how they worked when I made the ship) and a few turrets may be closer than the 9 block limit. There is a smaller hanger purpose built for my tiny fighter, the Poot MkII, pictured, but it's not the main hangar.

Steamworkship link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/E-Funk/myworkshopfiles/?appid=244850

19. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

I've sent a message to doctanner to see if we can come with a method to convert ladders to passages. I'm hoping we can make a one-click tool.

20. Leon026 Apprentice Engineer

Those really are splendid carrier designs.

Unfortunately/fortunately I'm on a much deserved holiday until the end of this month, so no entry from Shigesaki Heavy Industries :(

21. DocTanner Junior Engineer

I am currently researching a solution to the ladder-passage conversion problem.

MAKE BACKUPS OF THE ORIGINAL SAVES before saving with the new version. I'll see what I can do about providing a better conversion tool.

Meanwhile, I recommend a slight postponement of the deadline.

22. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

Contest entry: Matriarch-class Support Frigate

[​IMG]
    Capacity: 20 standard fighters, 2 per docking pad
    Notes: This ship is a Space Engineers version of Homeworld's Kushan Support Frigate. I've attempted to copy the armour layout as well - weaker armour on the top, bottom and rear of the vessel, strongest armour around the bow.
    Ten medical rooms and ten small cargo storage systems are available in the hangar access area.
    The ship also contains several assemblers and a dual external resource port (the latter is visible on the image above, near the bow antenna) in order to facilitate repairs and resupply.
    All ship systems that possess an input port are connected via conveyors.
    Five large cargo containers are used to store any resources provided via the input port: two for reactor fuel, one for turret ammunition, one for medical supplies and one for spare parts and small ship ammunition.
    Not counting docking access, four external access points are available: Two near the rear maneuvering thrusters and two below the main thrusters.

Additional images:
    Hangar access
    Main conveyor shaft, with secondary reactors and assemblers visible

Workshop link

23. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

hi all,

whats the deadline form the competition?

24. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

It should be mentioned in the OP.

25. NutterChap Apprentice Engineer

Deadline, as mentioned in the OP, is February the 20th. That is: in 2 days from now.
    I am looking forward to the last-minute entries. (They better be cool, taking all that extra time and all :p)

26. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

Darn, I built a carrier, but it can only hold 18 fighters in the main bay and does not have the conveyor belt system. It turned out like this only in space engineers form. It is called the Tokyo.

[​IMG]

27. DemonFiren Apprentice Engineer

Well, my entry was (relatively) last-minute because I only just now noticed that my ship might qualify.

28. Carrion Senior Engineer

given what has occured i would personally say that a slight extension would be a reasonable adjustment

29. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

Contest Entry :

Gryphon Class Fast Assault Carrier - MIRA

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=229684953

20+ std fighters,

17 500 tons

74 500 GW

130 forward thrusters (1+2 rule)

100+ gyros

3 hangar entrances

2 x bridges 1x tactical room

2x sick-bay

upper deck - officer &amp; crew quarters

[​IMG]

the philosophy behind this ship is simple: get in fast, hit hard, get out fast.

so it is really quick &amp; maneuverable.

the function comes before aesthetics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*EDIT :CHANGED THE STEAM LINKS&amp;PICTURES

*EDIT 2: the steam workshop main image dont change. so i added 1 main image + 2 side ones

30. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

Lol. I just knew this would happen any day now. The new (long awaited) changes to the gravity generators has made the novel design and layout of my carrier obsolete. Spent all that time carefully arranging and precisely measuring out the gravity generator locations, to make them negate each other and transfer orientation in the desired locations, and now the same results can be achieved easy as pie without requiring any special shaping (such as the wings on mine, which used to be a crucial feature). Oh well. Will be fun trying out new stuff with them now. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the current gravity layout is now broken.

Whilst I've not time to check right now, I'm also rather fearful that the ladder to passage way change will have ruined large portions of my ship if the claims of it glitching surrounding blocks is true. I used quite a significant amount of ladders in the design. Even if it turns out that they've been cleanly turned into passageways with no other glitching, this is really quite a huge shame to me. Changing them to passageways isn't going to make sense with how I've used them. The ladders were specifically required to bridge certain areas before, and used to travel between floors. I rather prided my ladder layouts as being something that could actually be used practically without being clunky or needing to jetpack.

I honestly dread to even look, but I guess I'll backup the world save and see how it is.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.