Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Carts Now Bunked?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by mastice, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mastice Trainee Engineer

So we used to be able to build and power carts like this. Now we're not able to do this. We can still push/pull it from front or behind. But I notice we can't turn it from the sides by pushing it. It barely turns when pulling it and often breaks the tow ropes. Is this a bug or is it an intentional change? (if it was an intentional change let me be the first to state that it sucks)

--- Automerge ---
    I should clarify just in case there is some confusion. When standing inside the square, per the picture in the first post, it's almost as if you are pushing against a solid object now instead of a mobile cart like before. We used to be able to build carts like this where we could build a square in the front of the carts, stand in the square, and push the carts along. It made it easy to control the carts compared to trying to control their movements with the tow ropes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Same problem for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. NacoChata ME Tester Staff

Hello guys,

for moving cart you should use rope (RMB without tool or block in hand) it will create rope between you and cart and you can pull it (screenshot attached).

4. mastice Trainee Engineer

Thank you for the reply. With respects, I understand perfectly well that we can use tow ropes but that wasn't my point. Tow ropes break and are hard to keep the cart under control. This is why were building the square in the front of the cart to push, and steer, the cart along. Prior to the previous release this worked. Now it doesn't. (of course this only worked for light carts because the heavier you made carts the less it worked but it came in handy when you needed to move light carts around)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Silen Apprentice Engineer

Yes, I'm having an issue where I've built something like three different versions of a cart, one including a steering system too, and yet I was not able to succesfully pull a single one of them across a bridge because the rope breaks everytime. However, "pushing" them would work, but sadly that system of having a timber in front to push it doesn't work anymore, and in multiplayer it just glitches out completely.

The third version of the cart can't even be pulled on perfectly even ground, the rope simply breaks every single time.

Edit: I tried to build the same cart with steering system in singleplayer. Still, using the rope doesn't work, it won't even move it, however putting a timber in the front and pushing it works (while sometimes it won't let me push it and simply remains stuck), in multiplayer however if I try to push the cart using this system it simply explodes and kills me.

Also, a barbarian got into the cart and started pushing it, it was HILARIOUS, here you can see:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. mastice Trainee Engineer

I admit I haven't played ME since posting this the other day, I moved on to other games again. Curious though, you're saying that complete squares in front (like the ones I posted in my picture) do not work but if you use an open hook method like you used on your carts they do? Or is it just the ones with a steering system on them?

Either way this is something Keen really needs to fix in my opinion because it was working just fine prior to the 0.6 update. smh

7. Silen Apprentice Engineer

That cart in the pictures I posted does use a steering system underneath, I haven't tested with a regular cart. Anyway, yes it DOES work BUT very often it doesn't work. So essentially it both works and doesn't work. Sometimes you're able to push it, sometimes when you try to push it the cart is completely stuck and won't move (even if there's nothing blocking it.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NacoChata ME Tester Staff

Hello guy,

I will discuss this with our designers and let you know the result. I will know the result on Friday.

BTW I just try to build carts train with the total weight (170t) or (850 stones) and I was able to pull it with rope and run.

Or this 680t or 3400 stones

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Silen Apprentice Engineer

I don't know how you were able. My steering cart cannot be pulled almost at all by rope, not on singleplayer nor multiplayer; Could it be because the two wheels run on the same axis through catch block?

My standard cart instead could not be pulled over a very slightly steep suspension bridge, the rope would break every single time, and yet the cart was completely empty and VERY small.

10. NacoChata ME Tester Staff

The part which you are pulling has to be heavy then you can pull a lot

11. Silen Apprentice Engineer

I'll try that and let you know. Thanks.

Edit: Alright! So, I added weight blocks to the front of the cart (the pulling part) and it is much better, since the cart now actually moves when being pulled by a rope, however the rope's still very weak and when going over a slight hill it breaks. There's also another problem, which is that when trying to pull the part sideways, it won't turn, and the rope will just break.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mastice Trainee Engineer

I'll have to play around with it some more too. But I am also not understanding how you managed to get it to work. Carts worked fine prior to 0.6 using 4 single sided catch blocks (one for each wheel). In fact isn't that how the tutorial explains it still? Or has this changed so that we now need an axle?

13. Silen Apprentice Engineer

I'm currently using an axle, and it doesn't work well that way. I think individual catch blocks do better, while in previous versions axles worked well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NacoChata ME Tester Staff

Guys, I collect your feedback and I will discuss it with our designers tomorrow on meeting and give you answer.

• Like Like x 4
  15. mastice Trainee Engineer

Thanks NacoChata!

• Like Like x 1
  16. NacoChata ME Tester Staff

Hi guys,

So we are going to investigate the behavior of the small grids. I will keep you informed about the progress.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

I've been playing with a small three wheeled plow, it sometimes gets stuck, incuding not turning. I don't think its the plow itself, I think its the voxel shapes holding the wheels in a 'track' so to speak. The area was flattened with landscape tools/rope but there is still the voxel pattern, like egg crates, and its the pattern which causes the wheels to stick when plowing in certain directions.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NacoChata ME Tester Staff

I will check landscape tool and the voxel

19. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

I had the same problem, but I found out the thing that you can pull carts like this still works, you just have to do it a bit differently now. Because if you touch the top of the square when you try to jump inside of it, the game thinks you're on top of the cart, although you're standing on firm ground, and you won't be able to push it.
    So you either make sure you don't touch it while jumping (which can be rather hard), or you build it more like a hook:
    . ____
    . | O |
    . |
    O|--|O
    O|__ |O

Like this. (I hope you get what it's supposed to look like, it's hard to depict it with only characters).
    Now you can walk in sideways. I tried it like this and it worked fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Andaeradan Trainee Engineer

In addition and in good order, if you build the carts as supposed to according to the research trees, they are pretty much useless. You can only push them from behind and they only go one way straight forward. They can't be pulled with a rope because the rope breaks and can't be pushed in any direction. So seeing the Keen example isn't a viable option there need to be a change to the working of the carts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mastice Trainee Engineer

Good idea. However I just tested it and, for me anyways, it only worked 1 time out of 5. :( I had to take the hook apart the other 4 times and reassemble it on the cart to get it to get the cart moving again. I even tried different elevations from the ground.

BUT I do think you're onto something with the small grids and I hope KSWH devs are reading this still. (I'm sure they are) It appears when the player interacts with the small grids they lock in place when you are within a certain internal zone of sorts.

22. Duke Anax Trainee Engineer

There might be something here. I have completely flattened an area and build a circular farming machine with a wheeel at the end. It get's randomly stuck while moving it and the only way to get it to move again is to take a few steps back and charge into it. Again, to emphasise: a wheel on perfectly flat ground.

• Like Like x 1
  23. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

I think you'll also have to make sure you don't touch the OUTSIDE of the cart at all on your way in. Maybe that's a problem as well, not only touching the top part. Make sure to make the gap on the side large enough so you can conveniently get inside. I haven't played in a few days and won't be able to until Friday, but I think I could not push the cart after I accidentally touched one of the wheels. But maybe it also depends on your cart's layout? I tried it with a 5-axle-steerable cart, so I'm not sure about rigid ones.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mastice Trainee Engineer

Yep, might be I did something different or wrong in my cart build compared to your build. Either way though this is crazy having to find a workaround. I actually have a large wood shop. I make things in my spare time. I could, literally, build this cart in my spare time and push it down my driveway. It would work. There is no reason it shouldn't work in the game. It did work prior to 0.6 so something changed.

I hope they figure it out and get it fixed because carts and/or small grid objects are a big part of this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Merandix Junior Engineer

People, just for the sake of my sanity... most of these are carts. I refuse to build carts. A cart is a two-wheeled vehicle with a fixed draw-bar. Or, it is a non-steering four-wheeled vehicle... think a mining-cart.

A wagon has a steering front axle. And that is what I build. They are glorious. And broken.

I mean come on. Finally planks were introduced, the holy grail of making lighter wagons (can I please also have planks that are offset to the exact middle of a small grid-square?)... And now they don't move! The horror! Please, I am still hoping for draft-animals in the (far?) future. But in the meanwhile, I jolly darn pull those things myself! But a slight prerequisite for pulling stuff is that it doesn't get stuck.

I dislike carts for some reason. I love wagons though :p

• Like Like x 1
  26. mastice Trainee Engineer

With respects; all small grids, be it a cart or a wagon or a whatever appear to be broken in the same manner. I like steerable wagons too... but for the sake of making this as simple as possible to explain and recreate I simply went with carts in my original post. Yes, steerable wagons are fairly easy to make once you know how to do it. But not everyone knows how to do it. ;)

I agree with you fully though about the planks. I too was excited when we got them when it came to small grid usage. But one thing at a time I think... the small grids need fixed first I think. Just my two cents. :)

27. I23I7 ME Tester

Hello hello,

We are aware of both styles of steering ( Rope and manual steering )

My question is do you connect both wheels with the same axis?

@NacoChata Has already started looking into it and has built some carts to see if he can get the same problems as you guys do.
    @Merandix Do you have a thread for that plank issue you mentioned i am intrigued as to what do you mean by that?

28. mastice Trainee Engineer

I sent these to NacoChata via PM but just in case anyone else wants to try their luck with these have at them. They're only temporary and I'll be removing them from the workshop in a couple of weeks. Simple 4 wheel carts, nothing fancy.

#1: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231744580

#2: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231744262

#3: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231743416

Just posting these up so that folks can see what it is that we're having problems with in case they aren't understanding.

29. Merandix Junior Engineer

I use one-sided catch-blocks for wheels. So one catch-block for each wheel. This is to limit the height of the vehicle. Catch-blocks are quite large. Also, it makes wagons less prone to side-slipping and makes turning a lot easier.

Yes, I've made a topic about the plank request. It isn't really an issue, more like something on my wishlist, but it's REALLY easy to implement now that planks are in the game. I hope I explained it well enough. You just offset the plank to the middle of a small-grid square. This makes for plank walls that aren't flush with the timbers from either side, with the slight disadvantage that you cannot place anything on the planks. So again, it's just something I'd like. Not a bug.

30. NacoChata ME Tester Staff

Im going to check this and let you know

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.