Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Carts Now Bunked?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by mastice, Nov 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dextarious Trainee Engineer

Awesome, latest update bugged all my wagons/carts, cannot control from inside the timber box frame anymore forget the jumping into box flawlessly I crouch and clip right through the timbers! Tow rope breaks easily! why would you make a tow rope that breaks so easily forcing me to walk backwards to observe the stress level then have the cart hit me and push me down a hill killing me? . no matter the design, FAIL! I play survival 1x inventory, wagons/carts are essential! at least make the tow rope indestructible so we don't have to walk backwards! we have the option to attach and detach tow rope already no need for tow rope to be breakable! an elastic band breakable tow rope, genius! if indestructible tow rope is to hard, how bout writing something up for us to upgrade it into a chain, although you'd still have a human pulling 680 tons of weight,

• Like Like x 1
  2. mastice Trainee Engineer

I don't think they've had time to look into it yet. I played for a little bit yesterday after the last update and I saw that the carts/wagons were still behaving the same way so I just shut it off and went off to other games again. I'm like you. I play mostly survival with 1x inventory so the carts/wagons are huge must in the game.

3. Cetric Junior Engineer

I like that idea of a chain as the strongest of all ropes possible - have never read it before in the ME forum. Could team up with mechanical blocks so nicely...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Charlie1029 Trainee Engineer

keen if you read this i have just recently bought this game and this bug is so frustrating it basically makes carts unusable and i know you said you could use ropes to pull the carts but honestly the ropes are way to weak for it. one thing that i noticed is if you place a block anywheres on the cart the cart will move for a bit and for some reason inclines tend to trigger it as well for example if you pull a cart up a hill using a box around you in front of the cart it will ignore the interaction of the player to the cart and roll down the hill draging you in the box with it. i really hope this helps and that you are working on a fix for this because i really like this game and i want it to do well but these buggy cart physics just make me want to quit the game

• Like Like x 1
  5. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey,

We know this a major issue and already have a lot of reports with different carts for testing.

It will be fixed in the next major update. Currently designers are working on it. There will not be a fix but overhaul for the cart behavior so stay tuned and thank you for your patience guys.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Charlie1029 Trainee Engineer

thanks so much for the reply you guys are awesome

7. I23I7 ME Tester

:tu:

8. Michael Viktor Starberg Trainee Engineer

I am very new to Medieval Engineers.
    Luckely I did read this thread. When I picked Transportation from the research tree I knew it would be completely broken. I already knew this. I actually tried it out in Creative just for de lulz.

In survival I just built it, pushed it forward; and took it apart just to progress in the game. I must agree that carts are useless in its current form.
    Luckely you won't fix it. I was so glad when I read that you won't fix it. But do a complete overhaul. Now that's the spirit!

Hint to the designers:
    - Reuse the idea of 'cockpit' for a small grid.
    - Add 'Handle' as a small block. 1x1y1z in size.
    - Press F to take control.
    - Except you don't enter it, camera stays on you, but you are now the driver. Looking forward
    - Animation of you looking forward in 1st and 3rd person.
    - Happy driving

Obviously it is not that simple, but it would be a neat solution.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I23I7 ME Tester

Thanks for the feedback

10. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Am I late on this?

I would just like to add the term killer carts to the list.

I have been killed by my own cart, two times in a row today. My body had not even decayed before I had another body down at the foot of the back wheel.

I was pushing it in a clearing and my character just toppled over and died. I think he might have been too close to the wheel in the back and some sort of friction caused him to drop dead but I am not sure. One thing is sure, these things are dangerous!

When I first started, I pulled my first tutorial cart with the towing rope and I felt so happy that I made it back to my storage hall. Then the thing stopped, and, I kid you not, I flew 5 stories high, across my storage hall, past my in-progress Inn and into a tall tree where I fell down and died.

It was hilarious, but be warned, carts are dangerous!

(Also, you can take them through forests and just run back and pull the rope as hard as you can, they will just smash down trees and batter down everything in the way.) Once I made it through the clearing taking my cart through a forest, battering down trees left and right (yes, I replaced a few wheels, about 5 times), I felt like I had just taken 30 elephants through the alps. It was both epic and energy draining. By the time I arrived I had no more energy to settle down and build my house.

But the trip was worth it. :)

11. I23I7 ME Tester

Hey @Tenzo No carts have still gotten the revamp that i talked about so any extra info is worth adding to this thread :)

Thanks!

12. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Reporting in!

I've managed to build a new cart, and this one has not killed me yet and it seems to work well. It has 5 storages for stone, laid horizontally across its length. (Not stacked on top of each other.)

I built it with 4 sets of wheels. I used round wooden beams to connect the catch blocks for greater stability for each set of wheels.

I have found that placing diagonal beams (medium increment) at the back, like handles, actually enables me to steer the cart pretty well. I mean I don't have to stop and move to a side and ram it a few times to change direction or other clowning around I used to do. Running into the diagonal beams seems to turn the cart well enough - which is notable because horizontal beams only steer it forward even if you run into them at an angle. But the diagonal beams seem to work.

I have ran into a problem where my cart has to go downhill from the mountain I mine from - and well, there is not much I can do to stop it once it goes downhill. It usually breaks the rope pretty fast and I end up chasing it every time, but tagging it with the rope does slow its momentum down which enables to retain some control over it when it's going downhill. I carry a timber with me and I try to jam into the ground really fast (I have placed lower timber flaps designed for this exact purpose, in order to act as a stopper once I jam the timber into the ground). That does stop the cart pretty well, though I always worry it's going to crash into something and spill over.

I have also placed a closed in T cage at the back of the cart, in order to keep me away from touching or running into the back wheels and I haven't ran into anymore accidental deaths while pushing the cart.

It can probably still punt me from the front, but I haven't had that happen out in the field, just that one time at/close to my base.

So all in all, I am doing okay with carts myself. Though if the hill gets any steeper I don't think I could stop the cart from going downhill too fast, either with rope or being fast enough with jamming down the vertical timber in front of the side flaps I stuck out of the cart for this last ditch emergency maneuver. I feel it helps its safety overall even in general situations. Sometimes where you want to park it, there is a downhill slope and it starts to slide so you need a stopper to jam into the ground where it can rest against. I've loaded it with filled out 5x large stone storages to the max and it hasn't broken out of the stopper when I leave it out on the slope. (the mountain slope)

So that's good. The fun part is going back to the base downhill. :D

But seriously when are horses coming lol

13. Charlie1029 Trainee Engineer

two months ago you said it would be fixed in the next major update so does that mean it should be fixed in the 0.6.3 update?

14. I23I7 ME Tester

*sigh*

Next major would be around 0.7.0 if you go from 0.6.2 to 0.6.3 its a MINOR update which could have some major changes.

And no, 0.6.3 will not be touching carts. Look our progress is slow but when we say we will get around to it we will.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Charlie1029 Trainee Engineer

alright i will be patient thank you for the response

16. I23I7 ME Tester

No problem

17. Yurets Trainee Engineer

Don't know what is exactly a problem with carts, all carts I have built work perfectly fine. No killer carts (okay once it killed me, but that was clearly my mistake) and carts have perfect steering with normal beams.
    Here is how my cart looks like:
    To be able to pull/push the cart, beams have to be on the head and torso level - not legs. It creates a problem of how to get in, but this is question of design.

18. I23I7 ME Tester

Yes but carts should have a simpler way to steer them as you can see some people are having difficulties with carts.

19. Yurets Trainee Engineer

Yes, but it is also illogical to steer something, when it is on feet level. But probably there should be some sort of compromise...

20. I23I7 ME Tester

The thing about this is that carts will get the designers to have a look at them and see if any minimal changes can be done to make the more player friendly. While anyone playing Keen games has now gotten the hang of getting around certain issues there needs to be an easier way to help new players.

21. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

The way to make carts more player friendly in my opinion is to add a horse avatar to the front (that works like a control cockpit in SE).

It doesn't have to be a real horse that you have to feed and put in a barn forever, just let the player assume there are horses around and you can just pull one from the wilds and put them at the front of your cart.

Then you can make the cart behave much more realistically if you have a point of forward control.

Later, if you plan to add horses for the wilds and for players to have to feed/house, you can just focus on that part of the system, but that doesn't mean you can't add a horse model now to the front of a cart and just leave it at that.

After all, it's early access - people will understand if a feature isn't fully fleshed out.

Plus, later on it saves you guys some work since you probably don't intend for players to steer carts forever, by ramming into them and chaining themselves to them or running with carts in front of them, all over the place. So, don't redo the entire cart system just to make them steer better in that erm "style" if you are going to add a real mechanism for pulling them later in the form of an animal. That will just be wasted work on your end, in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. I23I7 ME Tester

Thank you for your opinion it gives some feedback to fall back on.

23. Michael_Loney Trainee Engineer

100% agree with Tenzo, even if some form of engine became available / functional in game there is no good way to steer anything.

Even a "Wagon Seat" that allows you to sit still and apply WASD to the grid would be a huge bonus to functionality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Something about carts before horses.. how does the saying go?
    :)

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.