Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Category 1 - Level Design

Discussion in 'Creation Contests' started by George.Mamakos, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. marek_rosa Developer Staff

Mods are not allowed.

Scripting/programming the mission isn't required. Write only a simple English description of the mission story and the steps play has to do to finish your mission.

2. marek_rosa Developer Staff

Yes, rules if not overly tweaking what's already in game are allowed (e.g. disabled jetpack is easy to implement but if you needed a new type of jetpack, that wouldn't be allowed in the contest)

3. marek_rosa Developer Staff

Yes, adding some text for more info is allowed. On the other side merging two videos from two different maps is not allowed as this seems like a feature that the game doesn't currently allow.

4. marek_rosa Developer Staff

No special effects or video editing is required. Simply capture the scene, cut out errors or empty footage and that's it.

5. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

YaY 6 weeks to build, 2 weeks for voting and 3 days between the patch day and the deadline. But during those two weeks is it ok to make any fixes/adjustments for any potential changes during that time?

I take that is for skyboxes as well. It is not bad, kinda refreshing to see the default skybox once again.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  6. TheOverWhelming Trainee Engineer

So we can simply say 'no use jetpack in gravity environments'?

7. GC_Vos Trainee Engineer

Thank you for answering our questions!

One question I still have, can you work together to create a level?

8. LaForge Apprentice Engineer

So the scripting can be a mockup, but how about the levelart? Can this be an approximation as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  9. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

If everything in your level is a temporary stand-in, then where is level design in it?)

10. LaForge Apprentice Engineer

Well, there is a difference in creating a nice level and making it look nice.

I could probably make a nice working level, but i wouldn't come close to making it look as good as some people manage to make their creations look.
    Also there are some mechanics that i would need to bypass for my ideas to work, resulting for example in some holes in walls and some other obvious tweaks that ought not be there.
    I guess what i'm asking is, are we making a final product, or are we making sketchups for levelartists and programmers?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  11. Net-FX Trainee Engineer

I have created a mockup for my first mission subscription and it is available on the STEAM Workshop however, I do have a few questions:

1 - I have my custom background [skybox] installed however, as this is a local file, thus, anyone subscribing to my world with doubtless use the default Skybox [Unless they also have a different Skybox, of course]. I have still used the VANILLA blocks, no mods at all [as per the rules]. Is my submission still valid?

2 - Once created, how do I notify the relevant party running the competition, given that my entry [world] will likely get buried in with the 100's of other created worlds? [Edit - One sends an email to press@keenswh.com]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  12. lightbender255 Trainee Engineer

Is a custom asteroid allowed?

13. Net-FX Trainee Engineer

If you mean spawning your own asteroid [Shift+F10] then yes, I would imagine, as that is now a 'stock' part of the game.

14. Net-FX Trainee Engineer

@Marek - Currently, at seemingly random intervals, when cutting and pasting items, the game crashes. This bug has been reported by many other players and, although the deadline for the competition is not for another month, if these bugs continue for an extended period, could the competition deadline be moved to reflect the bug-fixing time?

15. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

We have to avoid using a large number of spotlights, or will they get attention before death line ? ( using spotlights still make big fps drop )

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  16. Skeloton Master Engineer

Place a placeholder block and paint it a colour to signify that block is supposed to be a spotlight.

17. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Only turned ON spotlights creat fps drop and we have spotlight in game, so im using it, but i want us spotlight lights effects clasic lights can not do, when im make all level with details, colors and lights. ( i never thought about not using spotlights at all :nono: ) I just want to know if they get beter so i will us for example 40 spotlights and not 5 spotlights im currently using in level :D.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
  18. Space is inside Earth Trainee Engineer

Neither are good, if you have an AMD card, use Rivatuner. Best capture program, it literally is the best out there for AMD.

19. TheOverWhelming Trainee Engineer

Ends November 30th

20. Shinzo Trainee Engineer

Yyyy nevermind. That's why I should go to sleep now. I can't even read correctly. See ya.

21. vuko Trainee Engineer

I know that no mods are allowed however would just a different skybox be OK? Or at least changing the darkness level? Default is really bright which would completely ruin the scenario I've got in mind..

22. rya31 Trainee Engineer

for the co op part, can it be for several people

23. silentdeth Trainee Engineer

I'm a bit confused, it mentions we do not have to create the script "a simple mockup is enough (let’s assume that someone will script your mission in the future)", what if we wish to do some of the scripting? Does that count as a mod and is thus forbidden? Or can we write whatever script that will function and use it in our mission? At the very least it would be much more entertaining if we script enemy ships to attack.

May we use the keen spacesuit, or other custom spacesuit mods as they don't affect the gameplay? May we use skybox mods for the same reason? It can be difficult to record certain scenes with the default skybox due to the fog effect.

What are the rules regarding post process effects? CGI explosion, editing in sounds, ect.?

24. LookUsArts Trainee Engineer

Read back mate ;) Not soo many comments are here. Any way :D
    - You can made the script, but not necessary
    - you can write/ add sripts not mods
    - Skybox and video editing is forbidden (if i know it well :S) because it can show parts from the game, what is not in the game ( sounds, CGI stc.)

I hope I help. But I am just a poor user, not a moderator.

25. LookUsArts Trainee Engineer

26. Shinzo Trainee Engineer

@LookUsArts:
    You are aware that there is still one month left for this?

27. nicedude80 Trainee Engineer

So when they are talking about mission objectives and such, is there an actual system in the game for this? Or is just kinda a mission.txt kinda thing that gives you some objectives you can complete?

28. Balborrah Trainee Engineer

Due to my current setup i am unable to capture gameplay footage and edit it, would a sufficiently detailed script suffice?

29. fabricator77 Apprentice Engineer

Ask a friend to do the video, I'm sure keen wouldn't mind.

30. LookUsArts Trainee Engineer

Well... When i get an e-mail massage it was writed, to do the mission in two week, from the e-mail sended. (It was last week) Is it correct? But as i can say, the mission ready, maximum had some unplesant thing what i don`t espect yet. (like today a player told to me cannot be do one thing because it`s belongs to me ).

So am i have 1 mounth? 1 week? or no more time

ps: Just to make sure, i don`t care the reward (Video Cards) I apply for the Level Designer Job with this, and for this it was have a criterion "work on short time periods"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.