Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Census on player stance on AI implementation

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by DMMWolf, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

Because of the constant back and forth with I want AI, we don't need AI, etc etc. I wanted us to get a feel for where people actually stand. this topic is less to be a discussion and more of a census.

2. freshmango55 Apprentice Engineer

For me, I would like for AI to be implemented, I think it will be a smart decision for the longevity of this game in the long run.

3. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

This of course is in direct response to this;

4. Gentry Senior Engineer

Don't take it out of context. How do you plan to get a census when the vast majority of the playerbase isn't even registered on this forum.

riddle me that.

5. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

simple gentry if the player base on an ALPHA is not part of the forums that is on their heads. the people on the Forums are the ones who the Devs listen to because they are the ones taking the time to express their opinion. We are acting as a free, Nay a PAYING Quality assurance department. We are doing the Job that people get PAID to do. It is our responsibility, the ones who take the time to register and submit our stance on this to represent the player community as a whole. We may not be the whole community but we represent it in microcosm.

6. Gentry Senior Engineer

But a sample size of 10-30 out of say 500,000 is meaningless.

Especially when you're only asking the most vocal and ideologically entrenched people.

7. radam Senior Engineer

Maybe ask Reddit?

8. Thalion Apprentice Engineer

I do agree with Gentry that the voices in forums are hard to use for an sample. Usually forum are used for complaints and the part which is satisfied doesn't tell anyone in the forum "yeah, this is great". But this is also the only feedback the devs are getting... so if they do want input, it'll be surely us. And i do believe too, that the dev's won't just simply take everything we want and put it into the game. They'll only pick suggestions up, which are fitting in their vision of the game and aren't totally off.

9. Oselotti Junior Engineer

That sad because personally I'm registering in game forums if I really like the game so I can see latest news and if I'm lucky can take part of developing. Actually I'm seen a couple of my ideas in other games :)

10. Carrion Senior Engineer

honestly it depends on how you describe AI and what it is for which i honestly feel persons on boths sides are getting confused with. .

AI for running and building ships? nope
    AI for combat? Why do we need it?
    AI to trade with? why when it could just be a block in the wall. why need the interaction at all?
    "AI" to script ship movements for ambiance or for vid recording? yes. that i wouldnt mind seeing
    "AI" to script to fulfill mechanical tasks such as moving things on cranes within a set group of perimeters on command which have to be taught? yes that would be very nice

see within the scope of AI or seeming AI there are functions which could be usefull and those which are not

11. Skeloton Master Engineer

Safe to assume this is about the AI/NPCs thread and its contents.

12. Oselotti Junior Engineer

I think it means any. Just something to shoot and that tries to shoot you.

13. DShakor Trainee Engineer

Did not expect it originally when I bought it, but feel the game would benefit from it in some way so would like to see it implemented.

Otherwise single play is going to be very boring.

14. Carrion Senior Engineer

skeleton. honestly it IS something which is an issue as there are levels of AI from dumb rock able to move back and forth on a trigger up to mimicing through scripts human actions. all can be referred to as AI in games and some levels are unsuitable or hard/impossible to program (you cant tell an AI to go be creative it doesn't know how to)

15. lucadena Apprentice Engineer

(out of 17 people, so not many and not a significant result statistically)
    around 82% wants AI
    around 12% don't care
    around 6% don't want AI at all
    I expected 70, 20, 10.

I didn't miss that much :)

(This is just a joke post)

16. Gentry Senior Engineer

and only 47% so far made the assumption that this game would have AI.

17. lucadena Apprentice Engineer

Yes, that's quite a lot!
    Half the people. wow.

but I am referring about who wants AI and who don't (or don't care).

18. Skeloton Master Engineer

I only voted the 2nd option because while I really would like to have an AI to fight against and with. I don't mind if they don't, I'll get bored and bugger off to some other game.

I don't do PvP much, if at all. So i'll be stuck building within a close circle of friends.

19. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

I am glad this tally is being well received, as for people not registered on the forums..... This is an Alpha, why aren't they? Can I suggest that if we know people who are not that we encourage them to do so. Because you are right, it would be better if we had a larger sample of the player base here to post their opinions on where they would like to see the game go.

20. Slimecole Trainee Engineer

I think there should be AI's yes :D It would make the game so much better! (even though Space Engineers is already AWESOME!)

21. lostami Trainee Engineer

56% Now.
    I really don't see how the developers expect the game to last long on the market without some sort of enemy AI.
    There are many who dislike PVP because it's turned from playful competition to a grief centric element since internet gaming became popular.

22. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

My vote is "Other - Incorporate basic features and code hooks to allow mods to add AI behavior as desired"

23. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

At present, 79% of the people who voted want to see AI implemented, regardless of whether they initially expected such a feature.

And as far as the debate over whether what people say on the official forums for the game, in the section specifically set up so that KSH can determine what players want is relevant to what the game's overall population will want ... uhh, yeah, I'd have to say that's significant.

EDIT: "Community feedback is expected and will direct our future decisions"
    :cool:

24. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

25. faith1ess Trainee Engineer

im with fhe assumed ai would be in the game group and want it. large shups poinyless without crews and single plauer will get old quickly if all i can do is build

26. Azan Trainee Engineer

I didn't expect there to be NPC's which can function like players but given that survival mode was advertised from the start you tend to need some sorts of semi random threats in that otherwise it would be very stale.

Survival with purely natural hazards will have to give players very little room so as to keep them constantly under threat of failing via natural means (running out of air/consumables) without AI as otherwise there just isn't going to be a threat.

About all I am expecting is an auto pilot like feature which has the capability to do some basic manoeuvres with a ship and shoot back. I think that is all that is needed and it shouldn't really be that hard to implement. Spawn in some randomly selected pre made ships every now and then with an auto pilot and there you go, can't see how that would hurt anything or cost vast amounts of development time.

27. TivNuz Trainee Engineer

I assumed it would be some sort of AI, especially when I saw the Faction tab in game. And I would like to see some implemented. but not as bots. but traders, pirates, random events. perhaps even just a large ship slowly flying by your bases. just to make some atmosphere. I think the game really need some sort of danger and hazards thats outside the realm of PvP. to make the universe it a bit more alive. especially for us friendless people who don't want to participate in Player Versus Player combat. that would probably just end up with a bunch of people going around blowing things up for others anyway. and some dogfight servers

28. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

January 30th at 8:56am

<div>We are now at 56 Votes
    19/56 (33.9%)Did not expect AI (66.1%) Did
    7/56 (12.5%)Don't care if it is added or not
    45/56 (80.3%) would like to see it added
    4/56 (7%) would prefer it were not added
    </div>

29. lucadena Apprentice Engineer

DEEEVS!!! look here ^^^^^^

:)

30. OracleTX Apprentice Engineer

If this poll gets ~60 replies and that is all (which is where it is now) and Gentry disagrees, he is still in the whiny minority that has severely flawed concepts of science, logic, and sanity. So he can STFU.

I still want AIs so that I have things to shoot at that shoot back in single and multiplayer. This is my own desire for a good co-op game rather than a PvP-only game.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.