Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Challenge yourself: Even width ship

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Inspiration for this comes from here:
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/so-even-or-odd-number-of-blocks.7358705/#post-1286756806

Clearly the majority of people (myself included) build ships which are odd number of blocks in width. It's natural, the walkways and doors are 1 block wide. Centered flight seat, etc.

Build it different. And we have a new block, perfect excuse to visit a new design. :)

I kind of would like to make this into a contest for the month of may, but that means narrowing down the entries somehow. Perhaps large ships only, 3mil kg max weight. Thoughts on that? Or just leave it open ended post whatever you make?

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. CruentaUltio Apprentice Engineer

Good idea.
    I have a ship in mind already, but are asymmetrical ships allowed? Like an off-set cockpit for example.

• Like Like x 1
  3. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Large ship, <3000 tons, even number of blocks wide, by the end of May...

Challenge Accepted.

It's about time I made an asymmetric ship anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Of course. For small ships I think that is inevitable as all of the cockpits are width of 3 (unless side by side cockpits).

I did create an asymmetrical ship once.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For all intents and purposes, I would count this as an ODD width ship because of the bulk of the symmetry is typical of a central walkway design. Therefore not a valid contender for this thread. I just happened to put crew stuff on one side and production stuff on the other. If that docking port "wing" brings it to an even number I'd say it's irrelevant to this design challenge, slapping an extra bulk of armor on one side should not count if most of the ship is obviously odd-width design.

I'm sort of expecting to see designs with more of a typical 2 seat pilot + co-pilot setup up front or more wildly asymmetrical.

5. mecra Apprentice Engineer

I can't do it. My mind won't let me and my hands are subject to its will. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Skeloton Master Engineer

Auto that's very Homeworldy.

7. BoredBoz Apprentice Engineer

I have built two even large grid ships which are actually designed to work together. One is my smaller large ship the Cerberus which is a self repairing corvette that can dock inside my very large capitol ship the Midgard.

Cerberus
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  8. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Well, i could find only one even ship so far.
    If i ever had any other, then i didnt share it anywhere.

Passenger Transport - Cattle Class
    A compact transport craft with a size of 18m length, 11m width, 5m height, a capacity of 88 seats, rotor dampened landing gears for hard landings and 3 exchangeable batteries.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=290492744

9. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Excellent challenge idea. I thought about this last night as I was reason the other thread.

I like the sub 3 mil weight limit.

Any other guidelines we should adhere to? Mod usage? Civilian/industrial/military.

I'm so on board with a build challenge that's out of my element.

10. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I don't want to limit things too much. Some people like to make military craft, other prefer utilitarian things like cargo haulers. I think at the end of the month we should just vote objectively at how well the craft serves it's intended purpose. Personally I am avoiding mods. Perhaps we should vote on modded and vanilla separately? I think staying with vanilla in itself is also a challenge to make it look good when there's so many modded ships around.

I picked that weight because it seems not too restrictive (my heaviest ship is 2/3 that limit) but restrictive enough to hold back supersized ships that are so large that you couldn't even count how many blocks wide it is from a screenshot. Because at that point the centerline being on a block is not really impacting the design.

Boz, how much does Midgard weigh? Cerberus is a great example!

11. Brenner Junior Engineer

I haven't even thought about the width of my ships being even or odd before, but I suspect they are all odd. I always start with a central block, switch symetry on and draw the rough shape of the ship from there - so theoretically they should all be odd.
    Sounds like a interesting challenge, might give it a shot and see if I can come up with something good.

12. BoredBoz Apprentice Engineer

Auto, If this does turn into a contest I think it would be best to keep the challenge as unrestricted as possible but maintain two categories for vanilla and modded ships. Like you I tend to build without mods, although I love the modding community and am constantly impressed by the quality and ingenuity of the mods created by the modding community.

The Cerberus weighs in at around 1,200,000 kg but the Midgard is well outside the recommended weight class. I think the light armor version sits around 25,000,000 kg. The heavy armor version is about twice that.

I am looking forward to seeing what other engineers come up with.

13. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

May we submit existing ships, or is this an all-new ships contest?

14. mecra Apprentice Engineer

Can you elaborate more on the "self repairing" part? I'm trying to design such a thing and need pointers.

15. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

If you've got it then post her up! Boz's Cerberus is a great example.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BoredBoz Apprentice Engineer

@mecra

The Cerberus was my first and currently only dedicated large grid warship. I designed it to be able to make passing runs at bases and larger ships or act as a patrol ship to fend off smaller ships. For this roll I realized the ship would need the ability to repair itself in combat or just after making a passing run at its target. I wanted to ensure the pilot would never need to leave the pilot seat to make crucial repairs that would keep the ship combat ready.

Welders will build and repair any block within a 3x3 field in front of the welder and the adjacent blocks surrounding the welder head. I have included a picture of the skeleton of the Cerberus. Once the skeleton is constructed and the welders are activated it will build almost all of the remaining ship blocks minus the ceiling and some of the outermost side armor. By creating an interweaving matrix of welders you can create a self-constructing and healing ship. If you plan on building your own I suggest you keep it small. The weight of all the welders and assemblers quickly adds up.

[​IMG]

17. mecra Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

18. HBenceHUN Trainee Engineer

Even number width, modless, 5M weight.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. David Halston Apprentice Engineer

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BoredBoz Apprentice Engineer

The Cerberus had been getting a bit dusty so I pulled it off the shelf to get the ol' girl up to date. I ended up removing the four large cargo containers and adding a slightly larger cabin space with two cryopods and a sealed oxygen environment. The two flight seats were replaced by two cockpits to ensure during a hull breach the pilots can still operate the ship safely. Replacing the large cargo containers with a bunch of smaller ones I believe will give the Cerberus even more redundancy and survivability. Along with a few cosmetic changes I finally added the small repair drone that was always intended to accompany the Cerberus.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  21. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  22. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

Building an even-width ship has proved to be a greater challenge for myself than I had anticipated. Still fiddling around to try and get something I like working...

23. Wizlawz Master Engineer

i always build even blocked ships, then when i go to place the cockpit i realize what i have done, then i have to cut in half to make it uneven to have what i want centered centered.

24. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Wizlawz, then you should appreciate some of the mods I have planned ;)

I prefer to build evenly because some of the armor blocks allow for cooler combos when the ship is even. Example, using the small piece to the 2x1x1 armor slope, you can give your shipa "ridge back" or a mohawk type stripe down the back.

25. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

After 3 months of procrastinating, I finally have something to present! :)

26. Vaskadar Apprentice Engineer

27. Mirones Trainee Engineer

most of my even ships are 3x3 on the outside so they fit through the 4x4 airtight hangardors
    small but has everything inside including an airlock and presurized room on the inside.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.