Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

changing the spawn group to crashes

Discussion in 'Modding' started by flimp, Jun 11, 2018.

1. flimp Trainee Engineer

so I have been changing the original spawn ship to crashes, this works as long as the ship use to be one of the originals. adding it into the spawn group and the prefab folder isn't working for me so I have to conclude that maybe I need to ad the id number into the some list somewhere as well or the path is some how broken? I seen a post on here for 2014 but didn't really understand how they was fixing it or if its still relevant. any help on this would be awesome as I'm new to modding and cant think of a way to fix this on my own.
    --- Automerge ---
    so what i did was take some of the ships i found as derelicts banged them up uploaded them as a blueprint to steam then changed the .sbc files and put them in prefab, this worked great i had floating damaged derelicts ships, but for some reason when i try this with ships that wasn't already in the spawngroup. folder it dont work, even when i edit the spawngroup file and the sbc file for the ship. i can make the format for both spawngroup and the sbc inside the prefabs folder and it just wont load in the ships. this is driving me crazy :(

2. Digi Senior Engineer

Blueprints are slightly different than prefabs, they have different starting and ending tags, did you edit those?

And I'm not sure I understand, are you saying it crashes? If so, post your SpaceEngineers.log after you've caused the crash again (as the file is rewritten on every game start).

Also can you link your mod (or upload it if it's not yet published).

3. flimp Trainee Engineer

i have edded it them from blueprint to prefab format. and no the games not crashing, i dont like finding intact ship when i explore space. people dont abondon good ships so i take ships crash them up so there damaged and reload them in to the work via spawngroup, and prefab. i havnt made this into a mod yet since i was just testing everything i was just edding the base files of the game but i will work on getting it to mod format and uploaded either tonight or early tomorrow, sorry about that.

4. Digi Senior Engineer

I highly recommend you don't edit your game files directly in the game, always make a local mod where you copy files and edit them.

5. flimp Trainee Engineer

well now im even more confused, i switched it to mod format and and it dont work. i cant get any crashes to spawn if i use the mod folder but if i change the main spawn group file and drop my sbc into the main prefab folder it works like a charm aslong as the ship use to be in the game. anyways here is my non working mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1410516329 . and her is the two ships i am trying to get to work, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1405392205 https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1405392205

crashed Volunder exploration ship i can get to work only if i do it in the main game files. btw thanks for the help, i knocked my head aginst this for a wile over my weakend and was only able to get the ships that was in game to spawn, had 12 of them crashed up and spawning but could not add anything new.

6. Digi Senior Engineer

SpawnGroups.sbc must be in Data, that's where the game reads .sbc files from.

After doing that, I tested it and seems fine:
    https://i.imgur.com/4nkHKZZ.jpg

If you want to replace the vanilla ones then keep the original subtypeId.

Also sbc files can have any names, and lists (like SpawnGroups) are usually additive, therefore if you want to disable all the other encounters (which is what I did to quickly test yours), you can copy the game's SpawnGroups.sbc file (just don't overwrite yours, rename either of them) and replace all:
    HTML:
    <SpawnGroup>
    tags with:
    HTML:
    <SpawnGroup Enabled="false">

7. flimp Trainee Engineer

well crap sorry about the data thing, i was throwing this together after a 12 hour shift and apparently wasn't thinking straight. did your also get the crashed Volunder exploration ship to spawn but amusing it was because it was one of the original ships , just banged up now.
    and on keeping the other ships from spawning, so il have 2 spawn group files in my mod? just one named spawngroup. and the other somthing like spawngroup1? then make them changes to one of them? sorry im new to this.

8. Digi Senior Engineer

It doesn't matter how many files they're split into and their names, you can have all of them in a single file if that's what you want; what matters is that your added ones need to be defined and, if you need, the vanilla ones defined as disabled.

9. flimp Trainee Engineer

ok thanks for all the help i really appreciate it. maybe now i can get this mod going.