Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Character without spacesuit

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by jhorro, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jhorro Trainee Engineer

2077 the space engineer is out of the station for repairs, when he got finish he went through the airlock. When he got inside he takeoff the suit in the dresser and continuing to do his job in a uniform. I have a suggestion about character model to remove the spacesuit when on a station or on big ship with some kind of spacesuit block. And when with no spacesuit the energy and oxygen no depleting at all. Walking around the spaceship in airtight space in some uniform with no need of recharging anything. Also without suit to walk and run faster and jump more.Sorry for my bad english. What do you thing?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Aracus Senior Engineer

Well, with the new no-jetpack server option its just a matter of if it can be tied to a specific playermodel and if someone would make a custom playermodel with the jetpack ticked off. (actually wasn't there some even BEFORE that server option?) Overall I'm largely dissapointed in the modding community over the lack of playermodel mods...

3. Ninjaturkey Apprentice Engineer

Without spacesuit, you mean... naked ?

Without kidding, this would be super interesting in some sort of scenario starting on a planet, where you have to build your suit and your ship before doing anything

4. PlaZmaButter Apprentice Engineer

I think the spacesuit model should be updated to look more like an armored exoskeleton thing. Because the power draw is completely silly.

It would also help explain the awesome lifting power.

Spacesuit should walk a little slower also.

Then we can have an (lightly)armored suit that has a light helmet that's better to keep off because of the very limited oxygen.

Spacesuit for building and mining and stuff, beefy but maybe can't use the AR because of these confounded spaceman gloves.
    Spacesuit will be thick and have a tiny polarized slit lense or just cameras or something and have lots of padding or radiation shielding and stuff.

Armored suit for planetside stuff and boarding things that still have pressure.
    Armored suit should steal the gritty scifi aesthetic frim Ghost in the Shell or something.

By armored suit I don't mean those minimecha things though.
    not /Armed/ suits.

• Like Like x 2
  5. tharkus Junior Engineer

+1. i would love to have an inventoy sistem that have slots:
    * for the HELMET (not just pressing J)
    * For the JETPACK
    * and finally for the SUIT so engineers come initially with an "Crew Suit " and later we could build in the assembler the spacesuit.
    wich could come with more energy storage and more oxygen storage.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scya Apprentice Engineer

More suits with different stats for different purposes is beutifull idea.

7. Ninjaturkey Apprentice Engineer

Furthermore, i would like to see civilian AI, not doing anything, but able to follow you (some kind of FPS "hostage" mechanic) in such way that you can make scenarios with tyhe goal of transporting them safely from one place to another

of course with the help of AI showcased earlier where an engineer had nice walking path finding

8. Cmdr_Forge Apprentice Engineer

Definitely a suit of combat armor like what was suggested above, but also (if this is possible that is) a jumpjet pack that only goes up and can move laterally using wasd. Maybe holding or pressing spacebar a 2nd time in the air to trigger it
    as well would be a good option, but it would still auto-trigger if needed when gravity got cut off aboard a ship. This brings to mind another annoying aspect I'd like to see updated, removal of the constant flailing around every time the jetpack
    is off in a zero-g or near 0 environment. I'd really like a magnetic boots system either on by default or a toggle key to use and leap to other areas of the environment and rotate mid-flight to latch on there, then continue walking. The way we
    walk in this game already suits the appearance of using magnets to keep our feet down, why not go the rest of the way and add this for new movement? I don't mean removing gravity but as a way to get around without always using the jets
    in zero-g.

But back to my main suggestion though regarding the combat armor suit, it should be lighter and more mobile with a somewhat lighter inventory suited for carrying weapons and ammo rather than lugging a pack full of heavy ores. I'd also like
    this version if it has a combat helmet either with or without a face plate, but still with the option to take that helmet off. The main points with this in summary: better armor, lightweight, greater mobility, and perfect for use in artificial or natural
    gravity environments for security roles and of course for taking down those pesky bugs that dare get too close when you're working with your trusty weapon arsenal. I don't use the old stock rifle anymore, just the good stuff from the S Gun Pack.
    The day we finally get suits like this and hopefully the animations the go with it is the day my idea of a combat engineer will be complete.

9. tharkus Junior Engineer

yes, at least we should have the suit, and the jetpack and the helmet separate, in slots to equip/unequip.
    and a uniform when we unequip the space suit, for when we are inside a ship/base/ planet with oxygen.

10. Bluedrake42 Trainee Engineer

Yo. Just FYI I've already created the basics of what you're asking with my mod. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=536281792
    If you all want me to add in everything else (normal crew shirts, different suit classes) find me a modeler to make the character models and I can easily implement everything you've just asked for.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tharkus Junior Engineer

the idea is really good, i hope you keep working on the mod. ;)
    what i really love is to have inventory slots for different suits with different kind of suits, (crew uniform: without helmet or jetpack, space suit; with helmet and jetpack , and maybe other more armored version of the space suit for combat)

12. Aracus Senior Engineer

13. Sinbad Senior Engineer

what about modular suits? start with the standard body, legs, helmet, gloves, boots thing. add a backpack (a few different capacities). that has slots for batteries, o2, jetpack fuel and different jetpack options. on top, layer the head-foot options again as additional armor pieces, some heavy, some light, some with augmented movement. that way we can build our suits to suit the job at hand, whether thats lounging on a planet, or rattling around inside an asteroid with a drill, high endurance eva, a construction worker that operates very close to recharging stations, walking across a continent, mountaineering, eva boarding party, whatever.

14. Bluedrake42 Trainee Engineer

You thoroughly overestimate what I'm capable of lol

15. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

It could be very interesting if spacesuits were craftable items and movement with them is heavily reduced, as well as their stamina. So getting out taking a spacewalk actually becomes a risky job. :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.