Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Client runs half sim speed of dedicated server and causes constant micro rubber banding

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jostar980, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Jostar980 Trainee Engineer

Hi,

When trying to play on dedicated servers I have noticed my sim speed is only running around .5 when the server is running 1.0. This is the same for every server I have tested so far however in single player I get a constant 1.0 sim speed no problems.

The .5 sim on servers would not be a problem as it is not running slow and I still have 120 FPS however it is causing constant micro rubber banding creating a jittering effect that really breaks the game play experience.

I have been monitoring my hardware usage while experiencing the problem and nothing has changed, nothing is out of the ordinary my hardware is performing as it should. There is no reason why I am experiencing this problem as a 7700k and GTX 1070 should be more then enough to handle the game.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

If seems (for me so far at least) this sim speed difference is from the ping. The higher the ping I have the more variation occurs (server = 1.00/me = ~0.65). However, if your ping is low (<100) and the sim speed is constant it could be a lack of performance but as you have noted it probably isn't that. Is it constant or only when you are in a vehicle etc?

3. Jostar980 Trainee Engineer

It is constant sadly. The main server I use is only a ping if 11 so unless my ping is bad idk but i dont see how considering im on 100 Mbps. As you said I doubt SE has any reason not to run fine on a 7700k and gtx 1070.

4. Zhiila Tester Staff

Hi,

We are aware of this issue. I am not exactly sure why you should have such a low sim speed with your specs but we are currently working on solution which should highly reduce the stuttering caused by different sim speeds on client and server. I am not sure when it will be finished and released but it should help a lot when released.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jostar980 Trainee Engineer

Oh thank you so much for that!! :D I did think it may have been a bug as I have gotten some strange ones in the past that none of my friends have (one friend is getting this problem only when flying ships) but wasn't sure. That makes me feel a lot better as I was about to prepare for a Windows reinstall to try and fix it... now I don't have to. Just while we are on the subject are you aware of any problems with FPS and Sim dropping massively when using Discord voice chat? Have been on support with them about that and they can't explain why it's happening.

6. Zhiila Tester Staff

I didn't experience that by myself, it's like it has no impact on performance at all on my computer. It can be related to some specific hardware or software maybe. I will try to ask around and will let you know if I find out something.

Does anyone else here have the same problem?

7. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

There could possibly be a link with either wheels and/or grid sizes. We restarted our server completely and opened a new map. After laying a basic base I began to experience the difference in sim speeds after we built two wheeled vehicles and welding up/grinding our base. I'll get some block info for you from the server. Its difficult to pinpoint the moment it begins but once it does the sim speed is never the same again welding and grinding.

8. Zhiila Tester Staff

Hi,

sorry for small confusion, I should have asked more precisely. There is a lot of reason for low sim speed in general and I think we eliminated a lot of them recently (it is something which is not relelased yet), so it wasn't really my question. What I meant is the problem with discord.

Sorry again and thx for reply!

9. Jostar980 Trainee Engineer

Hi Zhilla,

I have fixed all of my problems including Discord. I flashed my BIOS and did a fresh install of Windows 10 now everything is working perfectly again. So it was probably either a BIOS problem, OS problem or something to do with the mass amount of outdated drivers and programs I didn't realise I had running. The main thing is both Space Engineers and Discord are working fine now and probably where not at fault all along. Also the server sim desync also appears to be fixed I am no longer getting the constant rubber banding while playing on my server :) This explains why I had these issues on such powerful hardware, something on the software level was at fault.

Anyway thanks for your help :)

10. Zhiila Tester Staff

I am happy to hear that!! :tu:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.