Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Computer-Crashing Levels of Game Instability (Solved, Hopefully)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Tabtkat, May 31, 2018.

1. Tabtkat Trainee Engineer

FINAL UPDATE (HOPEFULLY)
    ---------------------

It appears that uninstalling completely, doing a manual hunt for files left over and deleting all of those and THEN reinstalling fixed the problem. I fired up an Earthlike, something I couldn't do ever without massive performance problems, and it was running a silky smooth 120FPS the whole time.
    SO, hopeful moral of the story: Space Engineers leaves behind weird little artifacts in your file system. Hunt them down and KILL THEM or they may cause problems later.

Considering I've been playing SE for years without reinstalling Windows I wonder just how much junk had accumulated in those files. Uninstall/reinstall through Steam apparently didn't touch them.

TL;DR: If you're just finding this thread through Google the TL;DR is Space Engineers had multiple redundant folders across different hard drives and hunting down all of these and deleting them before doing a total clean install solved the problem.
    I saved blueprints and world saves on the desktop and put them back into the new install and they're all working fine.

Old Stuff:
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    UPDATE:
    It appears it was a mix of two problems.
    I still get weird framerate problems but clearing the Shader Cache fixed that, but the massive instability on C drive went away completely by deleting the second installation of SE.
    I have to delete Shadercache folder before I play every time or else the problem returns.

Reproduction Rate:
    100% of times played this version

Affected Version: Latest stable version (as of May 31 2018, need to check numbers)

Reproduction steps:
    Play the game for any longer than 10 minutes, exacerbated effects happen intermittently and have not been able to determine what causes these.

Observed behavior:
    Game loads in just fine, roughly 5-10 minutes into play I start getting intermittent micro freezes that start getting worse over time. If I continue play it gets to the point where these freezes will last for minutes. Attempting to CTRL-ALT-DEL out will actually stop working if I wait long enough (~30 minutes of gameplay) and requires a complete computer reboot.

Planets / No planets, Graphics Up / Down, Number of Ships / Debris count, Rotors or Pistons or None --- None of these factors seem to have mattered. I have done Admin Junk removal and even observed this behavior in an empty galaxy with just whatever the (smallish) ship I've been working on.

Expected behavior:
    I mean... not that? :D

Also:
    Computer is running 16GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 1080 over an i7 7700k, SE is being run from an SSD. Verified integrity of game cache, even reinstalled game, no fix.

Tried CCleaner, Antivirus as well even though SE is the only game this is happening on.
    --- Automerge ---
    UPDATE:
    I decided to try to screengrab Task Manager during one of these failures.
    This is a screenshot, but I'd like to note the HDD usage on drive C. Especially because SE is installed to drive E.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  2. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

Check your GPU and CPU temps and post that please...

3. Tabtkat Trainee Engineer

I'm currently away but since I liquid cool I can't imagine that being the problem. The CPU / GPU load is never getting particularly high, either, especially compared to other games I run.

I have a weird theory to try out next time, as I'm immensely curious about why the C drive is through the roof. I'm wondering what happens if I take SE off of the SSD and put it on that C drive.

4. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

is there a Space Engineers Appdata folder that is on C: ? it could be using that folder.

5. Tabtkat Trainee Engineer

The Appdata folder is on C because that's where my User folder is. I read somewhere clearing Shader Cache could help, so I looked in there earlier.

However... I found something else very interesting. I went to go move the installation of SE onto the C drive and found.... another partial copy of SE!
    I deleted that, and so far that seems to have fixed or at least dramatically reduced the problems so far. SE is still on the SSD, and I played about an hour with no problems.
    Let me really stress test this scenario and report back, might be a weird one to just mark "solved" and pass the problem on to the dev team to see if they can figure out how it even occurred.

6. Tabtkat Trainee Engineer

UPDATE:
    It appears it was a mix of two problems.
    I still get weird framerate problems but clearing the Shader Cache fixed that, but the massive instability on C drive went away completely by deleting the second installation of SE.
    I have to delete Shadercache folder before I play every time or else the problem returns.

7. Zhiila Tester Staff

Hi,

I would try full reinstall. Uninstall the game and also remove everything SE related from Appdata. Then install the game and it will create new clean files in appdata after first launch. My guess would be some remains of old files.

8. Tabtkat Trainee Engineer

Can I keep my blueprints and world saves?

Edit: Doing the total reinstall now, set a new folder aside with worldsaves and blueprints in them (only local, not workshop)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  9. Zhiila Tester Staff

Any news? :)