Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Contest: From concept to creation (July: Ambassador)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Welcome to the second Concept to Creation contest! CTC 2.

WHAT
    : I will post concept art. It is simply an idea, a starting point.
    WHEN: Deadline will be Monday, July 27th. Edit: extended until the end of August!
    WHY: For fun
    WHO: Verbal vote which lasts for a week after the deadline. We are all judges. I may adjust this depending on how June's plays out.
    RULES:
    100% stock
    no size or weight restriction, but if it melts my computer I might not be fair on it.
    survival capable (o2, conveyored, etc)
    post as blueprint preferred.

Actual voting criteria will differ based on who's voting, what his/her priorities are, and how your craft differs from what they had in mind.

CONCEPT:
    Our sales guys got a lead on a great opportunity. It's for some high ranking government official who isn't happy with what's available on the market, he wants something "off the shelf" but is considering custom made because he doesn't like what's out there. Everything seems too small or too big, or just doesn't have the right features. I know one-offs aren't the most profitable for us but if we get our foot in the door it could mean some serious business with their military and support fleet, in addition to being seen by the governments he visits with.

This is what he's looking for:

-Something that looks different, refined, sophisticated. Not an intimidating military style or dirty asteroid worker.
    -Docking space for at least one planetary shuttle.
    -Private quarters and office for the official. Office should be capable of comfortably holding a meeting with a few people.
    -Guest quarters for at least two.
    -The primary and guest quarters should not share air space with any reactors or noisy equipment.
    -crew of at least 3 pilots and a chef, with crew quarters.
    -long range capable.
    -Should not be defenseless, but for diplomatic reasons visible weapons should be kept to a minimum. Preferably one of the pilots would use a fighter to direct conflict away from the high profile personnel. We have to assume they are elite pilots.
    -Maintenance tools should also be neatly tucked away, out of view from the guests.

We have this picture, the sales guy sketched it in his page of notes. Based off a smaller craft that the official liked the looks of but was undersized for the task at hand. It seems like a good starting point.

Edit:
    Should contain at least 1 jump drive
    Contest extended thru August.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. picklerok Junior Engineer

Resisting... urge.... to say... 1st...
    Dang it.

Anyways, this contest seems... interesting. I intend to give this one a go as well.

3. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

It's pretty much what I thought it would be. Good clue!

No intimidating military look. Damn, I was going to do an assault Corvette variant with the same chassis. Oh well, I'll see what I can do.

4. Carrion Senior Engineer

ohh this is interesting. I have already sketched a few ideas of my own for things I want to include in this. And a rough layout that actually is similar to the picture this time....

Now just how many complex mechanisms can I include in this???????

5. Skeloton Master Engineer

Working on something now.

6. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

[QUOTE="Carrion, post: 1286793901, member: 2354681"Now just how many complex mechanisms can I include in this???????[/QUOTE]

As many as you see fit! Although it appears that this design could just as easily have no moving parts at all..

7. Skeloton Master Engineer

Nvm, I tried to exact the sketch and it looked horrible. Im going to try another route and keep the general idea but with my recent style.

8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

All good! We had quite a bit of variety in the last one, most excellent.

9. Carrion Senior Engineer

As many as you see fit! Although it appears that this design could just as easily have no moving parts at all..[/QUOTE]
    But but but where is the fun in that?

the wibbleneering division of DSE is having a massive party with all the things they are working on. the Crazy has been unleashed

• Like Like x 2
  10. noxLP Junior Engineer

Omg, stop! I have other games to play! This is better than the last sketch, i really like it but it's too much work to do the ship and then judge all the participants, and i have more games, and i have to work :(... but i want to do it!!! :mad:

11. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

I may have to take a swing at this one.

@AutoMcD any preference on a small grid or large grid?

12. picklerok Junior Engineer

@Swanicus You will have to use a large grid because vanilla small grids can't have oxygen sealed rooms, which this ship requires. Otherwise,

13. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

See. This is something I'm constantly unsure about. Because any small grid ship I have always shows oxygen in the room. I've just never actually taken a helmet off whil using them in survival.

Large ships are more comfortable for me anyway.

14. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

I was going to go with a diplomatic courier as a small ship, when I first saw this sketch, but it seems this one will need to be a large ship....

On the plus side I should be able to make it so that it doesn't spontaneously disassemble like my earlier ideas for this one.

15. Sentinel-Ghost Apprentice Engineer

Question: In your sketch is the left hand image the Top view and the right hand image the Front?

16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

17. picklerok Junior Engineer

18. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

You got it. ;)

19. blastertoad Trainee Engineer

AAAhhhhhhhhh

Ok so asymmetrical design has been something I have wanted to try, but have never succeeded with, well at least not to my liking. I equally hate and love you for taking me out of my comfort zone AutoMcD

20. Carrion Senior Engineer

Well my entry is starting to take shape quite well. and its not a box which is freaking me out.

21. Sentinel-Ghost Apprentice Engineer

I've gotten hung up on the size of the shuttle....and subsequent hanger deck

22. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Well, we don't know what it is, or what the other diplomats will use.. Just assume average size small ship.
    Like.. looking at my ships, it would be larger than Mini but have no reason to be larger than Hanz.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=418563814

23. Sentinel-Ghost Apprentice Engineer

Oh ok, I was trying to fit a Large ship shuttle...simply because you can't pressurise a small ship shuttle (equipped with seats)

24. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I have a question. Would an ambassador wear a space suit?

25. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

This is kind of a luxury ship with it's own dedicated pilots. We would like to inconvenience the guests as little as possible.

26. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

CEU Ambassadors are highly respected citizens. They do not piss in a bag. :D

No spacesuits will be required for my submission, I like a challenge.

27. Carrion Senior Engineer

@iN5URG3NT

i have a challenge for you then, make an extendable, but also 02 sealed docking connector to allow it to dock to a large station

28. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

No. I think that is unnecessary complication. The competition is looking for a shuttle craft and large stations have hangars.

29. Steelhelix Trainee Engineer

So as a guy completely new to posting my creations, here is my first attempt. Critiques are always welcome.

So, uhhh, yeah... I've had a chance to go and look at what I'd done and lets just call this a poor first pass at what I want...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=476791992

Steelhelix

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  30. Khalad Trainee Engineer

I'll try to make something for this contest, but not sure to get enough time for that... I already have an idea for the docking area that could be interesting to develop (if doable, the prototype is still in my head ^^).

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.