Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Contest: From concept to creation (July: Ambassador)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

Just asking, when exactly is a shuttle considerated "planetary", since we have no planets to check back if it can leave atmospheres?

2. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Guys, I'm too busy to play the game lately. I have not even had a chance to review and vote the previous contest.

Can I get a volunteer to take over on this one?

When I wrote this up I envisioned that the shuttle would not be included. If you want to include one then go right ahead, but I'm not going to make up requirements for it. I would rather assume that the buyer already has his own overpriced hotrod to park there.

3. Carrion Senior Engineer

is this still ongoing?

if you would like i can take over the control of the voting come the end.

or shall we simply let it run for longer?

4. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Yes, it's still on! Been quiet around here.
    Don't let me being busy stop you from creating wonderful things. :)

5. Carrion Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

this ship is fully loaded

6. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

Nice screen @Carrion ... i wonder how ppl combine small grids and large... i know how to combine those rotors, but everytime i try its so uneven i cant add stuff around it properly...

7. Carrion Senior Engineer

its done using the large - small rotor functionality where you can put a rotor, remove the head (spiny bit) and then build a small "ship" (landing gear, some connecting blocks) and rotor head then "attach" it together,delete the landing gear and it snaps into proper alignment.
    i use a -.2 offset to ensure that its close to fitting without causing damage and i often have extra connections to lock things down as well. one thing i will probably do with this build as well is chuck a load of landing gears in as well as things got explody when i just merged the ship to a station to make it easier to build all of the internal parts. but im not sure which subgrid thing did the exploding.

what i find is this vannilla only forces players to improvise with the blocks we have to make things. ie using the rotors as taps and the collector as the shower tray

8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

9. Carrion Senior Engineer

Due to something utterly vile and inhumane occuring IRL i wont be around much for the foreseeable future . so ill chuck in some pics to hopefully encourage people

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. BANDIT Apprentice Engineer

that is so weird and awesome:D so bad i made mine out of a big ship:( cant do such tables

11. Carrion Senior Engineer

i shall quote myslef
    "its done using the large - small rotor functionality where you can put a rotor, remove the head (spiny bit) and then build a small "ship" (landing gear, some connecting blocks) and rotor head then "attach" it together,delete the landing gear and it snaps into proper alignment.
    i use a -.2 offset to ensure that its close to fitting without causing damage and i often have extra connections to lock things down as well. one thing i will probably do with this build as well is chuck a load of landing gears in as well as things got explody when i just merged the ship to a station to make it easier to build all of the internal parts. but im not sure which subgrid thing did the exploding.

what i find is this vannilla only forces players to improvise with the blocks we have to make things. ie using the rotors as taps and the collector as the shower tray"

12. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Just have to hope you never have to pull any evasive maneuvers around hordes of angry protesters or else that ship will end up looking like Swiss cheese.

13. Carrion Senior Engineer

actually they are quite stable for sensible acceleration profiles. and its not impossible to tack a few landing gears in for added stability.

this is on a large hull, that is designed to move in a normal way not as a strike fighter flitting around.

take my prospector. the small block stuff on that doesnt self destruct.

14. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

dude.. that's awesome!!

15. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

So, in light of recent updates.. it should have at least 1 jump drive!

16. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 4
  17. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

nice video! :D

18. Kovendon Apprentice Engineer

Great looking shape and concept to work with- I had a lot of fun thinking of all the possibilities to try.

Unfortunately, most of those thoughts collided with real life time crunches (and a couple other projects) so I didn't really get going on this until this weekend. There's a chance I'll get some time tomorrow (the 27th, A.K.A. the last day) to work on the interior, but I finally got a hull design I'm satisfied with for now... albeit a bit bigger than it needs to be.

Here's hoping I can whip up some crew and guest quarters, machinery/engineering, hangar details, and final detailing in a couple hours tomorrow night (Central U.S. time zone here). :eek:

Preview of the Signifer-class Ambassadorial Cruiser (disregard the gyro and small reactor above the hangar wing):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

You aren't the only one with time crunches. I barely started mine and we only have 1 complete entry so far. I'm going to extend this for another month.

20. picklerok Junior Engineer

I started a ship, maybe got about 1/3rd of the way done with it, but it looked too militaristic and I scrapped it. Here's why I didn't start another one:

In my opinion, I think it is more fun to design ships that are actually practical for survival mode. The Prospector challenge was a lot of fun, because I felt like I could go build that thing in survival and start hauling in huge amounts of ore. The Ambassador challenge does not follow that same principle. Things like guest quarters and meeting rooms... You don't need those for survival mode, even in multiplayer. I have recently gotten caught up in starting a new line of ships that can follow this principle, and I am enjoying building them more than I did attempting this challenge. Sorry, but I will most likely not enter for this competition.

P.S. The asymmetrical shape didn't drive me away, that was the fun part. ;)

21. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I hadn't even started. If we've got another month I'll see what I can do.

22. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

I think there are many ppl out there who make a very good job on interior and have fun doing it (me not...), so i guess its ok to throw in such a round... just look at the pics alrdy posted, they are overwhelming and far better than anything i could do.
    On the other hand i can understand that statement, not going to participate here as well, my try tuned out too big, heavy and problematic with moving parts (tried to make the small middle part retractable downwards thruster for planetary lift, so retracted it gets a bit more of symetry)... I also guess for RPG-related ppl those ships do have a practical use (me not either...)!

23. Carrion Senior Engineer

im glad its been extended as real life has made me not game as much so my entry isnt finished, also some bugs are making some parts not function correctly

@Dante McFox are you referring to my pics? if so then thanks i appreciate it but its quite a simple thing to do it can however hammer sim speed with grids being close

24. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

I'm changing the name of my ship to the "USS Punctuality"! :p

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

@Carrion Yours, Carnivores (great soundtrack on that video!) and Kovendons as well showed great stuff which make me want to see more^^ And its the masters ability to let hard things look easy which make him a master! :D

26. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Know what, I agree with you. I prefer ships that are practical and I typically avoid adding "fluff" if it serves no purpose in the game. And you're right, most of the things I wrote up have no real bearing on gameplay itself. I was in a totally different mindset when I slammed out the first post, and the lack of popularity of this compared to the previous one is clear evidence of it.

If you'd like to use the sketch for a carrier or frigate or something then go right ahead.

I 75% want to just rewrite it, the remaining 25% is because we're a month into it and hate to change things on people who have already started or even completed to the original goals.

Just build what strikes your fancy, this is about new ideas and having fun.

27. Carrion Senior Engineer

tbh auto, its actually nice to be given something that isnt industrial or military in a contest.
    as it is different, it makes you stretch things and think about how you can use blocks

ill put this pic in as auto and a couple of others have seen it, and it will be in my entry so plz to not copy.

you wanted luxury, thats all stock blocks.
    [​IMG]

this is in the pilots ready room not even in the ambassadorial lounge.

the entire thing forced me to think about looks especially after the last one where i was rightly low voted for giving them a Y shaped brick with a pilon on top

28. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

I thought so too. Gave the ol' brain a stretch not having to worry so much about balancing the weight of armoring critical components (the Molitor DOES contain strategically placed heavy armor though) with maneuverability, firepower, and storage. It's the first time I've built something like this, and I thoroughly enjoyed making a civilian ship for once. If you stroll around the ship long enough, you'll see hints of this.

29. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Alright, fair enough. :)
    It's all good. I'll leave it if you guys are enjoying it. I guess what I'm saying is it's just concepts/ideas, do what you will. Worst case you get voted low, best case the ideas sparked something for you.

30. Khalad Trainee Engineer

Same than iN5URG3NT, no time to get involved in this one... But I like the idea, and I'll probably spend some time making a ship that fit this contest, even if it's over ^^.

I'm looking forward fot August contest ^^.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.