Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Contest: From concept to creation (July: Ambassador)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

This IS the August contest now, it's extended another month

2. Khalad Trainee Engineer

Oh, I didn't see that... So I'll do my best to get an entry in this contest. And I'll need to work on my interior designing skills ^^.

3. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I might have been a little clumsy with my words on the feedback. It wasn't that bad or ugly. I agree that leaving it white/grey/neutral is way better that the wrong color. You had a few good ideas there. Some things like the hallway with the glass top, it looked neat and didn't feel cramped but was a long run of space not utilized well. I think a product of how large the ship was. Other areas did feel more cramped than necessary.. With how large Juno was you just plain can't make every space count for something useful, which to me is a sign that it may larger than needed. I actually felt the same with my ship so spaced things out a bit to try making it less cramped and that worked out well.
    I think it helps to think architecture when doing large ship interiors, especially ones like these where there is some extra room to work with. Try to keep in mind what it will be like using the ship, or living on it. The trend right now is wide open spaces in the hallways and lobbies where possible. Glass is a great way to make a space feel larger. For walls on the inside I often use catwalks and other thinner blocks to get the ceiling off the top of your head. If it's a narrow hallway lined with doors then you are in a school or hospital? You want to be able to get around efficiently. If getting in and out of the place is a winding path that involves 5 doors then that gets annoying pretty quick. Hallway paths/corridors are good for that, but if I do have to cut through the engine room at least leave a clear isle so I don't have to to maze through the reactors and gyros.
    I put all of this into practice on that last ship, you can see what I mean if you take a closer look. I also avoided redundant stairs and paths, tried some indirect lighting in the lower deck, some different block patterns in the ceiling to keep it from looking boring, etc. Some people did not like that it was one big airspace, a valid concern from O2 management point of view. Hammerman and Ixolate had good ideas too. Great use of partially constructed blocks to add details in a different way. Those don't always translate when building in survival from blueprint but if you make them some obnoxious color you'll remember to go back and touch them w a grinder.
    I have a feeling Carrion might show us all up on this one..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Khalad Trainee Engineer

No, you were not. All comments on my interior design were appropriate, I think. I really need to improve this part of my designs, and this contest is a good way to do it. I'll answer with more details on the topic where Juno is, as it is a bit off topic here... ^^

5. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Now that this has been extended I might actually try to submit an entry, just have to figure out some of the more technical parts of this...

6. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

I hadn't really watched this contest since I was gone almost all of July, but now that I have till the end of August, I'll give this one a go as well.

And I will not use yellow! :D

7. blastertoad Trainee Engineer

Well my shell and cockpit are finished, now just to do interior work

8. Kovendon Apprentice Engineer

I've been distracted by a few other projects lately, but the Ambassador is calling me back. Like with many of my projects, I wrapped up an exterior that I'm mostly comfortable with and I have some interior spaces that are working. The problem is finishing the thing. Crew and Guest quarters... Machinery/Engine/etc. room... Hangar... choosing which fighter to include... paint and lighting... agh...

Good thing we've got more time, because I'm going to need it!

9. Carrion Senior Engineer

an honest question, if i include a slightly modified KSH basic fighter will that be an issue? cause im working overtime on my interior and i cant design a decent fighter for love nor money

10. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Of course. There's no expectation for fighter or support ships themselves, could leave the dock empty if you like.
    If you include them then they are simply accessories, if they are not there then you assume "security ships sold separately". Off the shelf models just fine.

11. Carrion Senior Engineer

Ok my entry is FINALLY finished,@AutoMcD

it is set as a station iirc simply because thats how i built it, obviously just change it to a ship for the lolz.
    Bluprint is here

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=499184998

Caution, those with a low end PC will hate me, those with a mid range PC probably will as well.
    For information, all light sources in the Bluprint are turned OFF but they are labeled in the groups so turn them on so you can see how it should look.
    No small craft included, 2 entry ways both on deck 2 one from the small ship on the side and one from the landing pads
    Made in DX11 so if things are wonky i blame that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Excellent!

13. Carrion Senior Engineer

Anyone else got any teasers for this yet?

14. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

I wish I did, but life decided I wouldn't have time to make one. :mad:

15. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Well. I think this one was a bust. Carrion wins by default as for as contest goes. If anyone uses the concept in the future I hope to see it!

16. Carrion Senior Engineer

@AutoMcD

Did you have a look at my ship as feed back is always nice

17. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

Ummm ok... You remember there was another entry right?

18. Carrion Senior Engineer

@carnivore

have you got a link to the world or bluprint so i can have a gander at yours and atleast discuss the outcome

19. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

It's posted on the second page of this thread. It was ready a month ago. In time for the original deadline.

20. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I did forget. I'm sorry about that!
    Anyways, 2 entries is not a contest. Next month's is more functional in nature and should turn out better.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.