Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Contest: From concept to creation (June: Prospector)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Carrion Senior Engineer

tbh I do like that rover. I likes it a lot. i shall name it Precious

• Like Like x 1
  2. Destroyer1170 Trainee Engineer

This looked like a pretty fun contest, so I decided to make an entry:

I wanted to keep the drill simple, so I built a detachable tunnel mining ship instead of the extendable drill head. Other than that, I've kept the same overall shape as the drawing.

Here's the link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=471527689

[​IMG]

List of features:
    - Survival-ready for 1+ players
    - Quick acceleration for its size
    - Detachable large-block tunnel mining ship
    - Small ship dock with 4 small-block mining ships included
    - 10 defensive exterior turrets
    - 13 large cargo containers
    - 4 refineries, 8 arc furnaces, and 4 assemblers (with upgrade modules installed)
    - Pressurized interior with automated O2 control and airlock
    - 2 medical rooms, 8 cryo pods
    - Automatically updating LCD information screens
    - Cargo sorting with stone removal
    - Solar panels, batteries, and reactors power the ship.
    - Large mining ship has automated detach button to avoid thruster burn.

• Like Like x 1
  3. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

@Destroyer1170 I really like that rear engine design, very nice.

I'd better start cracking on with the next one then. Another cool design. I think I know what I'm going to do. Is "Ambassador" a clue to it's role?

I'm on to you @AutoMcD, you're going to make people build asymmetric ships whether they like it or not! :D

4. picklerok Junior Engineer

I'm going to go work on mine right now and not stop until it's finished!

• Like Like x 1
  5. picklerok Junior Engineer

6. Khalad Trainee Engineer

Ok, there it is : Juno is finally born. You can find him here :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=472013400

You will also need the 2 arm's blueprint to load on the projector block to weld the arm as it extends :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=472044384

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=472045738

As said in the description, it's far from working perfectky and has some issues, but most of the runs, it will be fine if you take care. More pictures and details tomorrow, I have no time (or energy) left today.

Khalad

By th way, as it is my 1st submission on the workshop, I don't know exactly how it works, and I cannot find the way to put a picture visible on the right side of the page (which is also the picture people will see before opening the full description). If someone could tel me how to do... Thanks for helping a noob ^^

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Yep, too many symmetrical designs out there. Oh that reminds me, I pulled a two-fer, my prospector is an even-width ship. :p

And yeah the name sorta says it all. I'm going to add a little bit of story/details since it's a simpler ship to look at.

8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

First post updated with everyone's entry all in one convenient list.

@Spets @Levits @CruentaUltio
    Time is running out! You are the last 3 that mentioned participating.. any other will be a surprise to me. In any case the judging starts at midnight!

9. picklerok Junior Engineer

Which time zone?

10. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

You can upload some screenshots if the blueprint snap didn't upload automatically.
    Also, the projectors will keep whatever blueprints are on them, so it should already be set up. I won't have to mess with the additional ones for the arm.

11. Khalad Trainee Engineer

If you switch the head, you will need to change the blueprint, as the projector won't move with the head. But I notice now that it's a huge mistake... I'll correct this, but not tonight... ^^ Thanks for the idea.

12. Spets Master Engineer

wait, I only submitted the images, but Im not participating in the contest sry. I did a video also to get more people in, and that is it :/

Ok, here is the blueprint
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=472091141

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  13. CruentaUltio Apprentice Engineer

Sorry, I can't take part anymore. Work is taking up too much time for me to play SE. Sorry for the inconvenience.

14. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Alright we have 12 official entries! Awesome job guys. :)

Open voting until Monday 7/6.
    To vote:
    Evaluate the ships and put them in order of most to least favorite.
    Post your list using the spoiler tag.
    For each vote, the ships will get points (12 pts for top of list, 1 for last). I'll add them all up when voting ends. Final ranking will simply be a matter of adding up points.
    Partial lists will count up from the bottom (if you just pick 3 then top=3pts)

Anyone can vote! Anyone who's been watching and wants to weigh In please feel free.
    Contest participants will have 2x voting weight.

15. picklerok Junior Engineer

But what if we entered? Do we put our own ship in the list or just make a list of 11?

16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Just put your ship in the list where you think it goes. Try to be objective..if you think you should win then so be it! Even if every one of us voted ourselves first, variations in the rest of the list would add up to point differences.

17. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

Ok, lets start off with an observer:
    This was very fun to watch, seeing so different approaches to the same picture. While the Drilling Staff is nothing i would go to im very impressed how ppl realised such a concept. Thinking about participating on the next episode of "From Concept to Creation", at least im looking forward to watch again. Nice Work all! But simply cant set anyone on first place, so here my very subjective ranking:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  18. picklerok Junior Engineer

UPDATED LIST

Here's my list. The descriptions are rather monotonous but brief, and are just based on my general opinions on the looks and functionality of each ship:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  19. blastertoad Trainee Engineer

Here is my list and my reasoning

• Like Like x 2
  20. picklerok Junior Engineer

Hmm... I didn't inspect the ships very thoroughly, but I think after reading blastertoad's list I might want to download them all and inspect them more closely to judge them more on actual functionality over first impressions for more accurate results.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I had buttons? I better check that the blueprint is updated! :/

22. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

23. Carrion Senior Engineer

Ok color me stupid but how do i load up the ships from the workshop again? as the bluprints wont function as they are multi grid

24. blastertoad Trainee Engineer

If you spawn them in from f10 menu all grids including ships docked to connectors Can be pasted in. CRTL+V

There are buttons there but they seem to only control lights, and a couple flight seat tool bars link to non existent groups

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  25. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

oh weird. I loaded up the game and yeah the buttons don't work anymore. The airlock computer is giving an "assembly not found error" and won't compile. It worked last week!! :(
    Alright well that is annoying. I'll get a chance to update it tonight, will have to use a different script or timers or something. Thanks for letting me know..

And yeah the flight seats only have missile weapon and 'run extend' for the drills program.

26. picklerok Junior Engineer

So, my accompanying small ships didn't save to the blueprint and I already deleted them from the world. That's an issue.

27. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I spent some time mining with some of these fine machines last night. Never judge a ship by it's hull.

I've got a couple more to test later, then I'll post a list.

28. Carrion Senior Engineer

Ok i have done my testing and i would like to say that all ships bar mine were very attractive but i was testing what i know IE mechanical stuff and really was looking at how things worked in relation to prospecting.

basically my own criteria was as follows

1 Ease of use IE I am stupid don't make me think to hard

2 level of automation IE I am lazy don't make me do stuff

3 Speed of the system IE I get bored and fiddle/break with things

in addition extra credit is given for

4 foot access and safety barriers IE Clumsy crew is Clumsy

5 Amusing things IE does it feel lived in and COULD it be lived in for a long time

6 additional greeble effects IE could i feel immersion be it through crew quarters, tools, etc.

this is a copy of the document i did on what i thought of each ship. its 17 pages long iirc
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh1ayvptp51yzrd/Concept contest 1 results.rtf?dl=0

As such my list is as follows

1) Kalahad's JUNO

2) Auto Mcd Prospector

3) HPV by iN5URG3NT

4) Mr Ixolate Ol jimbob.

5) pickerlock Blue and white ship,

6) Carrion Prospector Challange

7) Stingray by S dragon42

8) Small Prospector by NoLP

9) PZK prospector by pete hamerman

10) Spetz Prospector challenge

11) Destroyer1170 : prospector

12) blastertoad Prospector III

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  29. picklerok Junior Engineer

Very useful feedback. Thank you!

It's too late to change it now, but if I want to post it in Community Creations then I will want to fix these issues.

30. Carrion Senior Engineer

ultimately its why i prefer non prize competitions as people can ultimately help each other. i would quite like feedback on my ship as well despite being aware of its rather brickish looks

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.