Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Contest: From concept to creation (June: Prospector)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Carrion Senior Engineer

oh not at all. i was simply explaining my rational.

if i was being offended i would have put things very differently but that's one issue of the text based communications

2. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Feedback on request. It would take too long to write up my notes right now.

Adjusted Scores
    RESULTS:
    1st: Khalad with 129 points
    2nd: AutoMcD with 122 points
    2nd: SDragon42 with 122 points
    4th: iN5URG3NT with 115 points
    5th: Mr Ixolate with 107 points
    6th: Destroyer1170 with 100 points
    7th: PeterHammerman with 97 points
    8th: Carrion with 82 points
    9th: blastertoad with 77 points
    10th: pickerlock with 54 points
    11th: Spets with 43 points
    12th: noxLP with 42 points

3. Carrion Senior Engineer

4. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

There's quite a bit of variation in the voting. I kind of like it.. Obviously everyone gets drawn to different features and styles, different priorities.

5. Khalad Trainee Engineer

I don't believe I got the 1st place... My ship is so far from working as intended... Anyway, thanks guys. I really enjoyed this contest, and I'll try to improve this ship according to the comment I got.

Regarding the interior design, it is the worst building step for me. I'm not good at all at designing nice interiors, and I don't like it. I'm more in the "engineer" part, building systems to do what the game doesn't provide. I don't remember who talked about the white light... In my opinion, it looks better than a bad color scheme, but sure, a good color scheme is alway better. And as I'm not good at interior design, I stayed with white, as it's better than anything else I could do ^^.

AutoMcD, you also mentioned that Juno is too big... And you're right. I'm always building big, which can be a problem for people without a very good computer. I can try to make a smaller Juno, just for you ^^.

Again, thanks for the voting guys, and thanks AutoMcD for this nice contest. I had a great time building this ship that would still be an idea in my head without this contest ^^. Now, time to improve it and make it a truely viable ship for survival.

Khalad

6. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Don't do it on my account, It's for yourself!!

7. Khalad Trainee Engineer

Well, I'll 1st make this one working, and then make a mini Juno. If you have trouble using it, a lot of people will. And if I want to use it in my survival, with all the other ship, my computer will melt as well. So it will be for everyone ^^.

8. Khalad Trainee Engineer

This help me to understand where I was wrong when designing Juno's interior. I was mostly (if not only) thinking about the reffining room, storage area and hangar design when working on Juno, as this was the "main" areas in my head. All the other places (bridge, crew quarters, medbays and stairwell) were added after, where I had place left. In the end, the main working room is too big and too cramped at the same time (nice paradox here ^^), and the upper deck is way to small, without any nice space for the rooms.

I also lost way too much space with all the complex conveyor system (which doesn't work at the end...). I'll rework all that, as well as the arm (Sadjuuk gave me THE solution when showing his 3 axis drill machin) to make Juno fully working, and easier to use. Then I'll work on a small version that will fit more with Survival "constraint".

Thanks again for the comments, it really help.

9. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

@iN5URG3NT I would like feedback too when you are able to get around to it. Thanks!

10. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

Congratulations to all. And congrats to Khalad for securing the 1st place spot!

And definitely a big thank you for everyone who participated. I had a lot of fun with this, and the feedback has been invaluable!

11. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Ok, here goes. I'll do my best.

@Carrion
    First of all, your attention to detail and the sheer charm of your ship was fantastic. The interior was good in areas, the bridge and crew quarters especially, but I think you had too many bulkheads and one side could have been a long corridor with neatly arranged systems rather than several rooms stuffed with gyros. I was guilty of a lot of yellow with my entry, but I did at least break it up with black and grey. With a few more colours and a bit of streamlining, the interior would be top notch.

The exterior on the other hand is not so good with the exception of the drill assembly, which was nice. The ship suffers hugely from the overwhelming yellow colour and an awkward shape. The thrusters could do with being recessed too. I find that exposed thrusters only really work well with a cut down scaffold style, similar to RL Nasa probes etc. Adding detail and paint can make almost any shape significantly better to look at.

For general use and function, it's a mixed bag. Lots of great systems like the drill and cameras that work as intended flawlessly, but the overall capability is lacking. First of all, the drill can extend quite far, but since it's at a perpendicular angle to the main hull it's tricky to get the ship close to an asteroid without worrying about collisions. The industrial capability was also pretty lightweight for a ship that can mine huge quantities of ore in a relatively short time. The forward acceleration was also lacking, even for a indusrial vessel.

If you add a bit more detail and make sure you take care of the fundamentals, I think with your skill in interiors and systems will allow you to build some great ships.

@SDragon42 Yellow is not a great colour when used in the majority. Like I said to Carrion, I'm guilty of this too. Lots of good block use however. I normally don't like the fighter cockpit for industrial ships, but it works here. The layout was great and the hologram connector a very nice touch. As a small ship, obviously industrial and cargo capability is lacking, but in it's role as a light prospector it's near perfect. All this is inconsequential however when i comes to the stand out feature of this ship.

That damn drill.

Not only is this the most stable piston drill I've ever seen on the small grid, it might be the most stable mining ship I've seen on the small grid! Absolutely flawless. I had to check it was actually mining it was that calm. Massive respect for building that merged piston array. I can imagine that took a minute or two to build. I couldn't really find any big faults with any part of your ship. Fantastic work.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for the feedback!
    Yeah, coloring really isn't my strong suit. I'll definitely have to work on that for my next build. And yeah, the drill. That took quite a few builds to get it right. I think it took 2/3rd's of my total build time!

13. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

true story. That might have been the most stable drill in the whole group! The large ships which did well used gyros and sometimes even thrusters at the drill head.

14. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Bad news guys.. These ships are all behaving quite poorly with the new update. Most of them straight up explode when you try to use the pistons. A lot of them turn into a whirlwind of drill bits and piston parts just on moving around.

sadface. :(

15. Khalad Trainee Engineer

I'll make a test run tomorrow with the refitted Juno and see how it behaves... Thanks for the notice AutoMcD.

16. SDragon42 Apprentice Engineer

Wow.... that was certainly.... spectacular!
    I'll have to see if I can modify it a bit to remove the "rapid dis-assembly" feature. :D

17. Khalad Trainee Engineer

I tested Juno and... Wheels update broke my arm... I'll need to deal with the new settings to get it back to work, but it should not be long. Again, thanks for the notice, I would have missed that it broke the ship...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.