Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Controlling a Blueprint's Projection Location Based on the Grid Pivot?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spaceman Spiff, Feb 10, 2020 at 07:28.

1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I'm trying to control the location where a projector projects a blueprint so the contact point is in a buildable position. I always thought the grid pivot defined the projector's reference point, but the location that's coming up seems random. I tried anchoring a few armor blocks into the ground to form a column of sufficient height for the ship to clear the ground, then pasted the ship on top of the column of blocks at a convenient location on the ship's bottom. The grid pivot showed to be at the center of the first block I placed in the ground, and the grid pivot still shows to be several blocks under the point where I want the projector to project the blueprint after I removed the column of blocks. However, when I bring up the saved blueprint in the projector, the reference point is at an entirely different location that appears to be random. Is there a way to tell a blueprint, "Hey, this is the place where I want the projector to contact the grid."? Or, put another way, what am I doing wrong?

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I may be wrong on this, so those who may know better please don't flame me! :)

I think when you first make the copy of your blueprint the point of where you copied it is what the projector orients itself.
    (Say if it were a ship and when you copied it you focused your copy on the cockpit block. The projector may orient it from that point.)

I could be wrong as I seldom use the projector, but it seems for me how it worked when I did use it.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, I actually tried that by blueprinting the ship while pointing directly at the block that I wanted to be the anchor point (I think a long time ago it was this way). Nope. It's using the same exact "random" location on the ship. Go figure.

I did a bunch of additional trial-and-error testing by establishing a static block that was embedded in the planet, then adding some more blocks on the bottom (while in spectator mode), then cutting and pasting the stack of blocks so the bottom block of the stack was embedded in the planet; the grid's pivot point showed to be in what was now the top block. I cut the ship and pasted it on that top block at the location where I wanted the anchor point, then removed all blocks; the pivot point continued to show, but at a location one block below the anchor point on the ship where no block now existed. I blueprinted it, then slammed it into a projection and...got the same result as before...the same "random" location.

I added the missing block back to the shop so the pivot point was right on that block, blueprinted the ship again (now with a "dangly" block at it's butt-end), and projected that new blueprint. The pivot point block was now embedded the projector precisely as it should be. I guess it only works if the pivot point location is physically attached to the grid. That sucks a bit. So I painted the block red and will give instructions to remove the block if the ship is pasted in creative mode or adjust the vertical offset to eliminate building the red block if the ship is built in survival mode with a projector. I hate work-arounds.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

When creating a new ship... the placement and orientation of the first block is critical in defining which way around things are. You'll know that you've got the orientation right when you add a block like a cockpit and it snaps to the grid in the proper orientation. The only way to change the orientation of an existing grid is to merge it to a grid with more terminal blocks on it that's orientated correctly then unmerge it.

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, I understand that. But how many people, when designing a new ship or station or whatever, will think, "OK, this is the first block and it needs to be in a key position for building from a projector." I don't know about everyone else, but my designs evolve over time, and that starting point often gets changed over and over. I just wish KSH would allow the player to define the anchor point on a completed grid. I can do it the way I described above, but it's never convenient and often results in extraneous blocks that add confusion and require removal.

6. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

I may test this out myself soon, just to be curious.
    @Spiff : When you had the random block as origin, were those armor blocks? I wonder if the origin is more consistent if the origin is a terminal block (like a timer block) than a non-terminal block (like an armor block).

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, it was an armor block. I guess when the grid pivot block is removed that SE loses its way. That's the only thing I can figure. One thing for sure...it always uses the same "random" block; I don't know why.

8. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Waaay back I used to add a conveyor tube as a sprue and also used it as an anchor point. Not sure if it works anymore tho...