1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Converting stone in new update makes me want to quit

Discussion in 'General' started by Theurgist, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Theurgist

Theurgist Trainee Engineer

It really does..Before you could arrive at your bank of crafting tables, Shift-click quantities in, and out, remove 1 so it has working space, then queue up hundreds of small stone so it'll just convert whatever it has. You could generate good quantities of it without a huge amount of effort.

So, now it takes scrolling down a list to find small stone, then click 6 times to queue them, to get.. 30 small stone.

Effectively the game is now beyond grindy if you want to build anything impressive in stone. Unless there's a magic crafting machine or rock grinder hiding in the research, or on the horizon, I am extremely unimpressed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Is what happens when people ask for more realism and immersion.....makes things more complicated to give it that real life PIA feeling. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Theurgist

This isn't complication, it's tedium. I bought medieval engineers, not medieval stonemason simulator.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. mojomann71

Like they say...Rome wasn't built in a day. :)

But I know what you mean, you play a game to be entertained not bored or frustrated repeating same action over and over with small results.

5. Theurgist

I though of something which may put more perspective on how painful this change is.

To make a Megabuild of 5,000 cubes would take you clicking your mouse approx 30,000 times. 5 times per cube, then once every 6 times to collect.

6. Tenzo

Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Yeah..... The scrolling to the bottom of the crafting window to individually click on small stones (double clicking), is uh, starting to get to me as well.

We really should have timbers > planks > small stones > at the top of the crafting list. The list should definitely not be alphabetically sorted, but sorted in terms of usability. What will the player craft the most at this station? Those items should be at the top. Crafting stations should take a priority list before going alphabetically.

Also, a bigger queue and an ability to queue in increments of 10s like the old crafting stations. Otherwise, the usability feels like one of those Flashplayer clicker games where you click something and get a reward the more you click. I guess it will gain functionality with time, but as much as players resemble hamsters in a hamster wheel, please don't encourage compulsive behaviour. Those are very difficult to treat. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Clinkz Eastwood

Clinkz Eastwood Trainee Engineer

Maybe they will add a windmill powered stone crusher. You put in bags of stone and get lots of small stones efficiently. Maybe even add a different crushing head you can mix small stones and dirt to make clay or something.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MorshuArtsInc

MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

I agree, I'm not to fond of the new crafting system either.
    I suggest we move this thread to the support forum.

9. Tenzo

I can't post there. :(

The authentication server they use is never up. It always gives me something about a bad gateway and the fact that my web browser might be too stupid to use the Internet to click the link I got in my email. But that website is either down or protected by the CIA, so I never get past that step.

So please feel free to move ideas from this thread, if you would like. I'll be able to make an account there in about a million years.

10. mojomann71

@Tenzo if you have a Gmail/Google account or a Facebook account you should be able to get into the site without issue using one of those to login with. If you are using a browser that is not well known, well that could be the issue. If you are using IE, Chrome or Firefox it should go through. I did notice yesterday the site did seem to be down, or just had a high volume of traffic making it very slow to respond, I am assuming because of the SE test that was underway.

11. Tenzo

Ah.. I'm using Microsoft Edge. I am not sure if that's the problem. I haven't really had problems with it before when clicking on authentication links.

It should be using standard protocols. Can't get more standard than basic Windows 10 apps. :p

From what I've read, others are having trouble with that site too, it's not just me.

Thanks for the heads-up.

12. mojomann71

@Tenzo sadly Microsoft Edge is garbage. There are many sites that it has issues with, maybe others that are having issues with the site are using Edge as well? Hopefully it works out for everyone. Maybe I am just one of the few that didn't have issues... :)

13. MorshuArtsInc

I had problems registering because I didn't notice Google Mail marked the confirmation email as spam.

14. Lupinemaxx

Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

I have to admit.....Not even having gotten to converting small stones yet....I was not thrilled with the scroll-down menus for supply working. I'd be certain that this issue will become relevant with thorough Dev team testing time invested.

Hmmmm.....almost saw this post coming.

15. MorshuArtsInc

I think Deepflame mentioned in a stream that they were working on a stone crusher, but didn't get to finish it before the update. But it may be coming in the near future

16. Lupinemaxx

Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

A stone crusher would be nice but.........the whole 'scrolling menu' thing does suffer a case of 'the slows'.

17. Tenzo

Even if they do a stone crusher, this entire UI needs a pass for usability. It looks great, but where is the functionality? You have to double click on the thing you need, endlessly, in order to fill up the queue. It's like one of those rat simulators where you constantly tap the lever to get the cheese. Timbers, planks, one at a time. Two clicks to get one item. Count another click for selecting the item, and another for the time needed to scroll down to the item if your item is not one of the first on the list. Every...single...time you use a crafting station. It can't last.

They have to do something about this. I would say it's a high priority issue.

They might as well revert to the system using large stone instead of a large quantity of small ones. That would save so much clicking. Why do we even have to process them at all? It costs 75 small stone to make a foundation. I would hardly call that an improvement. Do you want to click more with a pickaxe to dig more stone, or to endlessly click on processing all the stone into little stone? At this point I would prefer to pay more in stone than to save stone at the cost of extra time, management and now...endless clicking.

This is the sort of thing that just falls through the cracks. I doubt they would do this to us intentionally. No one is that cruel. :woot:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.