Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Crashed Red Ship - Not Just Salvage

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Crathis, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Crathis Trainee Engineer

I Started the crashed red ship scenario (single player), and after salvaging enough of the red ship to build a refinery and assembler, I decided to see if I could rebuild the red ship. This is the (So far) finished result.
    [​IMG]
    I basically created a mobile mining platform.

[​IMG]
    Lower hangar has 4 refineries, an assembler (Sunk into floor, far left side) and a large storage container with tons of room for my mining ship.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upper hangar for storing my transport ship (Which is currently no inside the hangar)

[​IMG]

There's also a beacon and ore detector built into the hull so it can't be seen

2. Lysanderize Trainee Engineer

Nice, it's a really good idea !! but how could you find the time to build 4 refineries... it takes tons of iron !

3. fobfromgermany Trainee Engineer

Beautiful! I had this same idea when i saw that what was left would make a good ship in it's own right. Screw building a station, ill just make a mobile command base. Solar panels work best on large ships anyways

4. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

I thought about this but decided I'd rather have 16 refineries than have my industrial base covered in armor. Now I only have half a red ship floating with a solar-powered beacon. The thrusters/reactors/etc. are in storage. Next time I need a bazzillion pieces of steel plate I'll grind up the rest of it.

I kind of like the "open space" and "free fall" feel of industrial ships being all out in the open. I've been told already -- thanks -- that in the face of space hazards the armour will be important, but for now I'm enjoying more refineries instead.

5. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

This is exactly what I did, and am still working on.... I took apart 2 of the reactors for parts and turned the left part of the ship into a dedicated industrial area with a large cargo container with access from the outside, and then rebuilt the other reactor later, and added 8 smaller reactors to make up for the loss of the 3rd large one. The interior has been finished out and corrected, complete with internal defense guns in all parts of the interior... My plans from here are to finish the crashed red ship and then use it as a base to build a solar refinery complex... then I can use the redship plus the solar refinery to build a new carrier ship for all of my future needs... Also, its no longer the crashed red ship, she goes by Phoenix now...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ctiberious Apprentice Engineer

I've actually started to reassemble the Red Ship back to "factory specs". I'm planning on tweeking it to be a mobile industial base with 6-8 refinery/assembler setups at some stage but for starters I wanted to see if I could get it mostly put back together.

7. aboredteen1 Junior Engineer

Awesome doing red ship on 1x had to go to another astride to find uranium, also how do i get the assembler up with out a yellow ship or with out destroying my current life support cockpit

8. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

THAT is the fun part about the crashed red ship!

Hint: A smaller cockpit uses fewer displays, leaving some left over for... other things?

9. aboredteen1 Junior Engineer

ugh more reactors, I'm finding realistic red ship to be much more intense than astroides. Absolutely no uranium on my asteroid though

10. ctiberious Apprentice Engineer

1) Build the assembler as much as possible. i.e., all components minus the displays, welding until it won't let you weld any longer
    2) mine and refine the ore you need to create the displays
    3) completely recharge your suit
    4) dismantle the cockpit of the red ship just enough to pull the needed displays
    5) quickly use those displays to finish building the assembler and have it immediately produce replacement displays
    6) use replacement displays to put your cockpit back together

This is the process I used and I managed to only need about 25% of my suits power before the cockpit was reassembled.

Apparently it's also possible to salvage parts off the red ship to build a partial small ship cockpit (don't apparently need the bulletproof glass to make the cockpit usable). Then just completely dismantle the red ships cockpit and use it's 10 displays to build an assembler, small storage container and the small cockpit. I haven't ever tested this option but others have so it must work. :)

11. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

This does work, indeed, since this is how I did it the first time. The duration of risk due to no place to charge a suit is significantly shorter this way, in my view.

12. Xenomorph-Alpha Trainee Engineer

i do it to but i used the red ship as foundation

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. aboredteen1 Junior Engineer

got it up and running!!! yet to relocate though maybe tomorrow depending on how this update goes

14. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

I got it up and running and relocated it to a nearby asteroid where I wanted to build a base. I then proceeded to break the ship and use it to build a station. Pretty awesome!

15. Mad Mike Apprentice Engineer

+1
    I refloated too and moved to a better riod, before I built a base.

16. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

I decided to post some gratuitous pictures of my almost complete remodel of the crashed red ship...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully this will give someone inspiration ; )

17. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

btw guys, the top-rear engines are placed badly... They caused damage to the side compartments and blew a couple of guns I had mounted right off of the ship, in addition to destroying themselves in the process. I guess the original designers didn't know what kind of future behavior to expect from the engines... But a little bit of remodeling fixes everything.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.