Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Creating a control panel

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by norian, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. norian Trainee Engineer

I decided to present the idea to the control panel. The larger the object the more difficult to control it. So handy to the panel where you can create a group, and that was intuitive it is best represented as a set of buttons, sliders and controls.

That how see the basic elements.
    I assumed that you will be able to control each of the Landing Gear separately.
    Also predicted the use of moving parts, or pneumatics which I wrote about in another post.

[​IMG]

Use of see in the following manner.

As you can see in the figure below. On the left side is well known to you list.
    In the middle there are elements that we can use to build the panel.
    On the right is a field where we can freely arrange the elements.

Create panel starts with placing an item that interests us.
    Then give it a name and drag on it elements from the list 1 by 1 (that how we create grups)

[​IMG]

panel Description:
    example:

from top. As you can see - lights on level 1 and 3 are off
    gear 1 and 4 dont have any thing in range
    gear 2 have something in range and gear 5 is attach to something (i switch on gear 5 by boton under the light, when it was yellow)

sliders bellow each gera are the arms (future moving arms by pneumatics or something alse) you can see that i was put arms 2 an 5 down.

Thrust lights:
    as you can see my ship have 6 thrusts. 1 on ech site and 3 in back (one of them is not working - do you know which one? :D)

Ready panel approve, or assign to a key.
    Each panel should be individual for each Cockpit.
    Edit the panel should be available only to the creator of the Cockpit
    At the end of the panel can be displayed in a window when using the cockpit:

[​IMG]

I hope you enjoy the idea or inspires you to create something better.

Regards

2. Kamoba Senior Engineer

*Massive thumbs up to the illustrations!*
    We need more illustrated suggestion, and you're setting a grand example!
    Good man!

3. moroder Apprentice Engineer

Nice idea and big ups on the detailing of your idea, very nicely done. I like how you project a small custom control panel on the main screen.

4. jimbobslimbob Trainee Engineer

Agreed, this is a great idea. +1

5. Mengmoshu Trainee Engineer

I'll give this a +1 too. Would combine wonderfully with grouping blocks and naming things.

6. Carrion Senior Engineer

this is very well considered. also macro type commands would be usefull for more complex time critical movements. such as do X then do Y

7. Azan Trainee Engineer

Love the idea of designer panels but I can't say I would want them on the HUD, it would take up a lot of space. Guess it would be fine if they could be minimised though.

Would be nice to have them as interactive elements within the game world.

8. Virakotxa Apprentice Engineer

Just needs a toggle/minimize option at the lower-left corner, and maybe an [F-x] key to go with it. May I suggest rotation sliders to be shaped slightly curved? It would immediately differentiate and point out it sets angles of degree. While key-binding it's fine, I like to have a visual reference of what's going on, so I thumb up this, as any HUD! I hope, too for a modular way of setting those... being able to link sub-systems and all. But at the end, I would like to control all that by using an interface kind of like this! I like the 80ish analog buttons, too. Would work better in the dark! Not as good as self-illuminated holographic heads-up display, sure... but cost-efficiency? Best! :p

9. freshmango55 Apprentice Engineer

+1 for the control panel design, they need to add player sorting and category drop boxes along with naming as well.

10. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Its realy detailed, but its not practical like its looks like, beter is set every machine like motor, rotor, trusters, separately ( 1-5+ pages settings for one machine and every page can get separateli group 0-9 + toggle option on page ) so 1 machine can in diferent groups create diferents moves and get multiple purposes. Then you can clasicly bind it on L-CTRL + 0-9 buttons for group us.

( sry for me weak english i realy have problem explain this :D if some one want translete it in more understandable way i will be glad ) :D

Your control panel can be still used just give multiple pages for machine settings.

11. Virakotxa Apprentice Engineer

Yeah. I think nobody disagrees. Those are not mutually exclusive.

12. norian Trainee Engineer

I dont see any problem to add a key scrout to each button, i sugest them to make grups that is much better than clousing 23 dors on flor 1 - 1 by 1. etc.

13. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

You didnt get me point. When you set for exaple:
    rotor make 1/4 turn on right side it will still creat only 1/4 turn on right side. I wanted creat for one rotor more seting like:

Page 1: rotor move 1/4 or right side ( group A )
    Page 2: rotor move 1/4 or left side ( group B )
    Page 3: rotor move 3/4 on right ( group C )

atc... so you can us one rotor for multiple purposes + with combination of diferet rotors creat diferent moves with same motors.

So you can creat for example simple arms: like excavator or loader do and you dont have place all rotors X 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Wo98lDVk5dk

14. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

i wouldn't really want this on the GUI it seems tacty and i'd rather have things like lets say a gravity generator on a localized control panel and bridge console rather than on the popup.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.