Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

'Crusader" medium self-contained mining vessel

Discussion in 'Survival' started by jaidens111, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

This is the first large ship i've made, hope you guys like it!

The crusader is a craft built for going on long mining runs, equipped with a large cargo container, refinery, and an assembler. What's unique about this miner is its mining head is on a base connected to pistons, that extend 10 meters, thus, allowing you to mine deeper into an asteroid! Additionally, it has two stabilizer pistons that extend ~40 meters to attach to the subject, these can also be used to pull the craft further into the subject. So far I have not seen ANY crafts like this, thus, i'm calling this of my own design.

Pictures of the craft on google drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BztqjIAwsDZHUEg5Z01RZ2JZNTA&usp=sharing

2. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

Additional specifications:
    4 small reactors
    2 small cargo containers
    1 large cargo container
    1 refinery
    1 assembler
    1 'radar' dish, containing a spotlight, a rotor, and an antenna
    4 connectors
    2 rotors (connected to mining head)
    The ship never goes red while mining, though it lists forwards for some reason, but only when the miner and hub sections are near each other, i suspect connecter shenanigans.

3. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Very nice design. The arm-like structures that attach to the asteroid were a clever idea indeed. Personally, I use the Override on the thrusters to keep my mining ship going further, and monitor its inventory until it fills up.

But what intrigued me is the fact that the ship seems a little "deformed" near the Rotor. It seems that some collision is happening when you're mining. Maybe it's a bug (Rotors/Pistons aren't fully functional) or the ship is colliding, or it can be the vibration.

My mining ships are always compact (mostly Small Ships), but capacity is always a constraint. Large mining ships are nice, but you must also have a decent Refinery/Assembler structure to balance logistics - it's pointless to mine in a fast pace if you're going to take 3-5 hours to refine all ore, specially slow-refining ore like Platinum/Uranium.

4. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

Yes, i noticed the deformation as well, but its caused by a mix of user error and bad collision meshes. But I like it because while i'm headed to my base i can refine a bit of the ore, before arguing with the game about how it should not put all the ore into a single refinery, rather than evenly distributing it through all 6. If you want i could strip non-essential armor away so you can see some of the other inner workings.

5. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Yes, I have this same issue. I have 4 Refineries, and the game puts all the ore into the first one. With all this recent queue error, this can be a bug.

Personally, I think that interior space. (I've seen a glass bridge inside) in a utility ship is sort of an excess. For a Mining Ship, you could reduce it. And use some sloped blocks, it saves some Steel Plates

6. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

Yea I probably would've made it with slopes, but I wasnt hurting for iron at the time :p

7. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

I'm going to be creating a module for the ship, I'll post picture of it when its finished.

8. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

While in the field i managed to fix two things, the listing and deformation. However the downside to this is now i must do drill rotor maintenance after EVERY SINGLE AUTOSAVE. additionally, i added some picture of the modifications of the ship, as well as the result of a few minutes of mining.

(gold is a bastard to refine btw)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.