Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Current Sad State of Affairs With Space Engineers

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott McAfee, Jun 25, 2020.

1. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

oh - maybe i was misunderstood .... (english not my first language :) )
    I "have" on my server modded an whole different approach on the ore placement/finding/gathering/needing system to an more "real survival game like" behavor ...
    I "dont" say Keen need to doing this - this is nice modable in the current engine ... (still i would like many things keen "do" in SE that are not with mods can do ... ;) )
    I "suggest" an ore randomizer for planet/scenario creation - as it is anyway only an color image where every pixel represent an ore + deep of this ore (and an relevant config file > pixel X is Ore Y on Deep Z ) .... this should be not hard to doing ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

did you play something similar ? what was the game ?

3. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

I'm sad to say nothing quite matches SE and that fact alone has made me think about reinstalling it numerous times. Then I come on forums or the support page and I'm reminded why I won't ever play a Keen product again. I played Empyrion a while, and got sick of the arcade style flight mechanics. I'm curious about the new procedural update though and I might check that out at some point, but with the zero realism flight mechanics I won't play it for long. I play Avorion quite a bit, mainly because it's like a multiplayer, customizable (and buggier) version of X3 and it's just awesome flying around a universe with thousands of systems in the Sci-Fi (or other) ship of your choice. I played From the Depths for a while and that has an incredible array of customized building options... the depth they go into for making engines, cannons, and other items in a modular fashion is truly impressive, though the AI needs a lot of work I think.

I'm eagerly awaiting the drop of Starbase, as that looks like it will have quite the in depth space mechanics and physics to it and might just be a good analog to Space Engineers. Also keeping an eye on Starship EVO, which has the most impressive building system in any sandbox style game I've ever seen (you can individually scale and stretch any block to basically any size you need). Someone will come along to fill this niche sooner than later and I'll be ready, credit card in hand.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  4. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

they seem nice. first time i have seen those games. i have however played X series before. X3 and X Rebirth.

5. KissSh0t Master Engineer

The building mechanics in Starbase look really nice, I've watched a few people play that... the one who built a ship to travel to one of the moons and then went afk while the ship was traveling, the ships sensors were meant to stop the ship at a certain range to the moon but it didn't work and the ship smashed right into the moon.... all that time spent traveling only to crash right into it :woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

@KissSh0t - Yeah I've been watching all their content updates and the whole thing looks very in depth. That moon trip I think was part of a closed beta they've been running recently, pretty sure it was even called out in a developer blog, lol. A lot of engineering options, just about everything matters to the point that if you don't place thrusters properly the torque can actually rip your ship apart. Aside from Cyberpunk 2077, VTMB2, Evil Genius 2, that's my most anticipated game ATM. Lot of good times ahead!!!

And if they keep pushing with Starship EVO, that could be a perfect mix between Empyrion and Space Engineers, but it's basically just a tech demo at this point I think. Needs a long way to go to be Beta.

Oh yeah.. @Capt.SkuLL - I forgot one... Scrap Mechanic. Some of the seamless transformations and mechanical engineering that can be made in that game are mind boggling, though it too has a long way to go. But the developers just recently dropped a monstrous survival update that quadrupled the games size.

7. PLPM Junior Engineer

I am interesed in starbase too, although I´m wary of the performance requirements, but even more so of it being and MMO with barebone NPC and such interactions.

Red flags for longevity and well... obviously singleplayer.

8. ButterToads Trainee Engineer

I think the recommended requirements, the 1080Ti in particular, are just speculative for the current alpha build and are planned to be scaled down when optimizations drop. It is not abnormal for a game to undergo such a process while in the early development stages. However, it is cause for some concern when it is displayed publicly in that manner. The build mechanics look pretty cool and the ability to script seems interesting. I just hope, if SE remains so unrefined, that it can be a worthy competitor.

Starship Evo looks cool and seems to have promising build mechanics, but with dynamically scaled blocks come a host of new development challenges. Like others have said, it seems to be in the very early stages of development.

I just hope that KSH can fix the glaring bugs that make this game hard to enjoy. I understand that takes time and resources, but I have the feeling that Space Engineers could be quite a bit more refined.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

That's the most disappointing thing. I don't know if they're primarily engine limitations, coding limitations, malaise in the workforce, or a general "Fvckit!" vibe from the developers or a combination of those things. It could have been so much more than it is. Could have strived to stamp out the most egregious and disturbing bugs. At one point the focus seemed to be clearly about the game, the gamers, and the experience. But now the focus is undeniably... DLC!

I think the biggest issue with Starship EVO (and many other games... possibly even this one) is that some idiots are going to push things to the absolute limit and cry foul when things fall apart insisting that they should be able to build a true to scale replica of the Death Star from top to bottom, then go schitzo when it breaks something. Gaming version of Dyatlov at Chernobyl.

10. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

weird, i am on a ryzen and have zero issues.

11. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

@Mike55520 Then you should provide all you exact specifications to KSH, including driver versions. A Lot of people are having severe issues with the Ryzen architecture. It may also be related to Ryzen combined with Nvidia? I don't know but it's be a problem that's been unaddressed for a long time. Maybe your system specs could help other people out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DLR Trainee Engineer

And of course the best part is keen doesn't even care enough to look at these forums.

13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

And you know this how? You've spoken directly with KSH? Or was it heresay? Or rumor? Inquiring minds need to know.

14. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

Reasonable supposition for the multitude of issues that go unanswered and unaddressed. And no the, "This issue is being considered between blahblahblah" boilerplate message doesn't count as them looking in, that's just someone copying and pasting an identical message to every single thread to give the impression that someone has looked at it. I'd put real money on the fact that until the votes reach a certain threshold, they don't even read the post. I cite the innumerable threads that have come and gone without any correspondence other than that boilerplate message, followed by "since there are no new posts on this topic, it will be closed".

His assumption is not without merit.

15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

But the assertion is still an assumption.

16. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

No argument there. To be fair he never claimed to know unequivocally, irrefutably, undeniably that it was a fact. Implied, certainly... but not specifically stated.

I think, in a way we've all "spoken directly" to Keen about this issue via these forums and support posts. Many will extrapolate that KSH does care and responds flawlessly to the pressures placed upon them, that they can do no wrong. Many will see the same thing and determine the exact opposite is happening. Far more will be somewhere in the middle. I, for one am always fascinated how two disparate sectors of peoples can see identical facts and reach opposite conclusions.

Also for the record, after the support portal opened it could be inferred that aside from the Patch Notes, KSH's proper development team doesn't in fact read these posts at all. Has anyone seen a Developer foot print in any of these threads (non moderator, developer only)? I haven't been watching that closely, but I am curious.

17. Roxette Senior Engineer

You can see which forum members are flagged as 'developer' and their forum activity via the forum members list. None have been seen on the forum in the last 7 months.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I humbly defer to the pros from Dover.

19. NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

@Roxette I figured that might be the case. Public relations/Customer support are not a strength of the KSH. 7 months though... that's a bit dodgy even by their abysmally low standards.

• Agree Agree x 1