Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Custom Importer/Editor tool - SEToolbox

Discussion in 'Modding Guides and Tools' started by midspace, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Trogdor Trainee Engineer

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8xxpn1mx4knylon/kube.zip

Here ya go.

2. midspace Senior Engineer

After messing around with Blender, it appears this is an "Ascii" formatted .STL file.

When you export the file from Blender, down the bottom left, uncheck the "Ascii" option under "Export STL".

This will put it into a format that works.

3. Trogdor Trainee Engineer

Damn, looks like I have to install Blender again then. I wish Windows 8.1 didn't kill itself and wipe my hard drive every couple weeks.

4. midspace Senior Engineer

here's the one I converted.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26211652/kube_nonascii.zip

5. Trogdor Trainee Engineer

Thanks, internet's horrible so Blender is taking forever and a day. Really appreciate all the help.

6. faceit77 Apprentice Engineer

this program is fantastic, good job man :D

7. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Oh ya, meant to stop earlier and thank, I love the asteroid field generator :thumb:

8. midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.015.016 Release 1 is up. See link at top.
    • Fixed numerous bugs in asteroid generation. This is due to changes in how asteroids are now treated and hiding of rare ores in SE.
    • Fixed speed displayed for ships.
    • Added remembering 'Asteroid field' whilst toolbox is open.
    • Added sending ship at player at max velocity.
    • Release now includes a .ZIP of all files.
    • Added Transparent detection to 'Import Image'. See the following image for an example.

The following .GIF with transparency was imported directly in, to create the below ship object in space engineers.
    Original .GIF
    <div>
    Star Wars A New Hope
    [​IMG]

Or the following Chinese New Year Horse for 2014.
    [​IMG]
    </div>

9. The_Director Junior Engineer

How soon will you have the heavy armor updated to the latest surprise update?

ty,

T_D

10. midspace Senior Engineer

Just woke up. I'm not even sure what the update has as yet that may affect the toolbox.
    Have you noticed any bugs, or crashes?

Heavy armor is already supported in SEToolbox.

11. The_Director Junior Engineer

The latest update has added Heavy Armor to the game itself.

IDK if you need to do anything on your end, but the look of the heavy armor is different, so i was thinking i should not use SE Toolbox since they may clash.

12. midspace Senior Engineer

Two updates ago it was unofficially made available.
    They have updated the textures, giving it a new look. Its final look IMO.

It is functionally the exact same block that has been available through the back end since the game was first released.
    You now just have access to building with it in game.
    You should not have any problems with SEToolbox in this regard.

13. Zara Apprentice Engineer

By my Last Test of this Tool, i Import a 3D Modell of a schip in spaceengineers but the ship was Not 1:1 imported.... Why?

14. midspace Senior Engineer

What scale were you expecting?

If you need to adjust the size of the model when importing, either change the "Multiply".
    0.5 = 50% = Smaller
    1 = 100% = No change
    2.5 = 250% = Bigger
    5 = 500% = Much bigger
    [​IMG]

Or you can fix the size along the largest length by specifying "Max length".
    [​IMG]

15. ducktaperules Trainee Engineer

hay midspace, your tool is awesome,

Im having a few issues with importing 3d models from stl. it seams like im only getting the top profile of the model, its missing all bottom faces and curves. This can be seen in the screenshot below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugroaazqj7skj9x/Screenshot%202014-02-02%2022.55.47.png

I have tried this with large and small ships, light and heavy armour and a few different stl files, each time getting the same result. The stl I used can be found here http://www.thingiverse.com/download:88995

Is this a known issue or something that has been caused by an update??
    Is it likely to be fixed?

I also have a feature idea/request, I noticed some non-symmetry when importing models.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6ertelyllpmz28/Screenshot%202014-02-02%2023.08.38.png

Im guessing this is because of how ships are generated from models. maybe you could add a mirrored mode as an extra import option as well as scale. When importing it would only read half the model then mirror it for nice symmetrical ships. I don't think this would be difficult to implement and it would make large ship construction far easier for people who get bothered by non-symmetry (im sure im not the only one).

thanks in advance, keep up the good work :p

16. midspace Senior Engineer

It's becoming more and more obvious that the third party tool I'm using for converting to Volumetic has some issues. :mad:

I've been slowly working up a working replacement for this.
    It is very strict however, as it doesn't like broken models or missing faces. And it works with fewer mesh file types.

I've been working on mirroring also.
    It's a LOT harder than I expected. Cubes cannot simply be rotated :(
    I need to go through and find the angle of each cube type, and then find the mirror of it for a given axis.

I'm looking at releasing the mirroring soon, although only with mirroring 'armor' cubes at first.

17. radam Senior Engineer

I tried to repair a world and got a serius error that crashed the program.
    [​IMG]
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=207024254

The other world that has also caused the same is:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=225002681

altho that was made with Dev version of SE, maybe the same problem, not sure.

18. midspace Senior Engineer

The most recent update to Space Engineers has made the 'Repair' inoperable.
    I can confirm that the Repair would not have fixed any problems with the 'ARGOS FAEC-220-001A - Argos Exile' workshop.
    I don't know what is wrong with the Argos workshop, but the file format is totally different from what I expect to see. Starting a new world with the current build of SE, it isn't the same as what I'm seeing from the Argo workshop item.

At the moment I can't look into the crash as my computer is away getting repaired because of a new video card causing random BSOD.

19. midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.017.012 Release 1 is up. See link at top.
    • Fixed 'Repair' causing crash of SEToolbox.
    • The convert to 'framework' is no longer working, as this has been disabled in game. I'm sure this is related to Keen working on the Survivor mode.
    • Enabled mirroring. This can work either with pre-defined planes within the game, or it can find the largest contiguous face on your ship, and mirror from there. Currently only Armor blocks are mirrored.
    With mirroring, the best approach is to slice the bad half off your ship, or the 'ugly' side. It doesn't have to be accurate, or clean. Set the mirror plane in the exact location you want it. If you can't set it, build a few blocks in, until you get it exactly where you need it.
    Save, and then use SEToolbox, selecting "Mirror", "Using predefined X/Y/Z Planes".

You can potentially repeatedly mirror something, by moving the mirror plane in game, and switching to SEToolbox to mirror, then move plane again, and repeat over, and over.

20. GC42 Trainee Engineer

I remember way back when I wondered about the mirroring. And now look at what has happened. Thank you so much for this feature!

21. Zara Apprentice Engineer

That is not thy problem, i show you what i mean with following picture^^
    on the left side, so it should be. on the right side, what has created the tool

[​IMG]

22. midspace Senior Engineer

Your original question asked why something was "Not 1:1", indicating a scale problem.
    I see no issue with scale in the image.

What I do see, is an issue in accuracy of calculating the voxels.
    I do agree that it isn't right. However, it is very dependant on where the sample occurs, and how balanced a model is.
    Most models are not balanced, and some are not even aligned with a major axis, so you will never get a balanced conversion.

I am currently working on a replacement for third party tool that is currently been used for converting from mesh to volumetric, which should should be more accurate, as accurate as your mesh model can be.

I cannot say when this will be ready, as I do have a regular job (and a nagging partner). ;)

23. Tontow Apprentice Engineer

Any chance of a full on random asteroid field generator / random map generator?

IE: I press a button marked Generate map and it would fill the map with randomly placed asteroid fields with random concentrations of asteroids and random types of asteroids.

Or am I missing that button?

24. Kryjeck Apprentice Engineer

Don't know if this would help Tontow, but what I did was created an empty world, exited, then opened the tool and under Import clicked Generate Asteroid Field.

This allowed me to choose what kind of asteroids I wanted and the composition of them. After I was done then click Create and it will populate the world with what you have chosen.

Just be careful cause when I went back in a few of them had collided with each other so I had to go out and find which ones they were and delete one or the other.

Oh and make sure you save your world in the tool after you do this, or you will load with nothing and have to start over.

25. Tontow Apprentice Engineer

I don't want to choose, I want it to auto fill and be 100% random. That way I can explore and not know what to expect what so ever.

26. Amy Apprentice Engineer

I like this tool, thanks to Midspace for the effort that you have put in.

27. midspace Senior Engineer

Version 01.017.012 Release 2 is up. See link at top.
    • Added Optimize option for large ships/stations that may cause long wait time (more than 20 mins) when loading a 'world' in Space Engineers.
    • Added 3D Model view of Model getting imported.
    • Added more Model cube smoothing checks (close to 100% coverage now).
    • Implemented new 3D Model importer, with more accurate surface tracing.
    • This is finally using a new 3D model converter, which is much more accurate. Unfortunately this does restrict the supported 3D Models to the following file types: .3ds .lwo .obj .objx .stl .off
    • Additional conversion options. Thin shell - with out without shell smoothing. Thick shell - with out without shell smoothing.
    [​IMG]

28. midspace Senior Engineer

Zaram, the latest release should fix this issue.

This is now an option.

The missing faces should now work.
    The symmetry should be close to accurate now. I can't 100% guarantee it though, as it really comes down to the symmetry in the original model, it's alignment to the major axis, and it's displacement from the origin (0,0,0).

They should all work now.
    Especially that T25 you showed me earlier. I'm not sure why Poly2Vox had issues with it, but the with new code it looks great.

I should warn, that if the viewer does show the model and the size (height/width/depth) is zero, then the file is either invalid or corrupt.
    The Poly2Vox tool seemed to work fine with corrupt files, but the new code is very strict. Blender seems to agree on which files should work.

29. midspace Senior Engineer

Steps to making a symmetrical import (after the fact).
    Basics: You slice the ship in half and delete one side, before using the Mirror function in SEToolbox to create a 100% symmetrical ship as follows.

1. Import the ship using SEToolbox (using whatever settings you are comfortable with).
    [​IMG]

2. Open in Space Engineers, and marvel at how great it looks, and how unsymmetrical it appears.
    [​IMG]

3. Slice through the center of the ship, taking off the half you find ugly. If you can't decide, just flip a coin.
    [​IMG]

4. Make sure you have cut all the way through. double check.
    [​IMG]

5. Delete the side you side you don't want.
    [​IMG]

6. Create some nice photos of this moment. (Here's what the inside looks like everyone!)
    [​IMG]

7. Set an even 'symmetry' plane (you may have to add an extra block here to get the plane in the correct place), using the 'M' and 'N' keys.
    [​IMG]

8. Or set and odd 'symmetry' plane (just remember to not delete the centreline cubes), using the 'M' and 'N' keys.
    [​IMG]

9. Save and Exit.
    [​IMG]

10. Load the 'world' in SEToolbox, and apply mirroring!
    [​IMG]

11. Reload in Space Engineers, and you are done!
    [​IMG]

30. midspace Senior Engineer

Before anyone asks, the most recent update of Space Engineers breaks the SEToolbox, and some of its features.
    Don't allow it to update the files, and you should be fine until I can make a new release with fixes.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.