Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Custom System Controls

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Dequire, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dequire Apprentice Engineer

One of the biggest problems with experimentation and the general running of the nitpicking of ships is the fact that you have to go through a long menu every time you want to open a docking bay door or turn on a light. Not to mention having to time and activate multiple things at once to get them to all work together, like getting a docking bay system to work properly with a fighter to let it land, retract it into the ship itself, close the bay door, and bring a Connector within range. It's just so tedious, that it's extremely irritating or impossible to do yourself if you're trying to multitask.

However, being able to set custom key bindings to system controls would fix this. You open up the control panel menu like normal, find the system you want, then click a small button on the bottom right of the menu. Here, it would show the functions available for that specific menu, in the fashion of the game's key bindings menu. There you could set the ship's internal lights to Ctrl + L, the docking bay doors to Ctrl + D, the loading mechanism to F, the Connector lock/unlock to K and J, etc. That way a pilot can activate all of the ship's controls right from the cockpit without ever having to enter another menu. Custom keys would be specified to the ship itself, meaning that any cockpit on that ship would have the custom key bindings and could set them, but the player would not. They would keep through copy/paste as well, of course.

2. HexZyle Trainee Engineer

I see what you did there.

3. Wazbat Apprentice Engineer

This has been suggested hundreds of times before.

4. Dequire Apprentice Engineer

I looked through the Suggestions megathread and I didn't see anything like this. If I missed it, would you mind pointing it out?

5. HexZyle Trainee Engineer

Programming, control panels, linking interfaces to tasks. Same cookies, different flavour.

MEANING OF ERMAGERD OVERUSED JOKE!!!1!

6. Leif_The_Head Apprentice Engineer

So you mean Keybinding. Yes, there is a large demand for that.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.