1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

Cygnet Design Industries: Caracal LRV Release!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Swanicus, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Swanicus

Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327634248

After surprise response from our private investors CDI has finally made the decision to release our ships to the public market.

The first ship to officially be for sale through CDI is the M-73985279-CR-M Herminia class Codenamed "Quokka"

Lovingly sprayed with our signature gunmetal grey/rifle blue/and mint green for accents

Change Log:

10/14/2014: Added cutaway of Quokka
    10/16/2014: Released Quokka on Steam workshop
    10/20/2014:
    Added teaser's of new construction.
    10/28/2014: Released Condottiere Light Frigate
    12/30/2014: Released Tazawa Light Battlecruiser

CDI Medium Assault Cruiser "Quokka"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quokka was designed as a medium assault cruiser, designated as such due to the superior quality of the armor plating on this ship in comparison to normal cruiser class ships.
    we've designed our ship to be a warship used on the forward edge of the battlespace, as such she is equipped with 16 turret hardpoints (16 Missile and 4 Gatling) And 8 forward facing Rocket pods.

The Quokka was built with a triple layer hull of light armor and equipped with a single layer of heavy armor in crucial areas. Equipped with a large amount of thrusters all around the ship is capable of an average acceleration to cruising speed with above average lateral strafing (according to our studies).

The ship is capable of being run off of only the 2 main reactors while never exceeding anything more than 82% power capacity. However due to our design philosophy we have included 2 secondary reactors that are centrally located as well as a secondary bank of gyroscopes. In addition to the secondary reactors we've also included 10 batteries (5 in each nacelle).

The bridge has 3 raised controls for the Captain, XO, and 1st officer as well as 4 control seats for the turrets. Main fire control is located centrally as is customary for many warships. Captains and XO's quarters as well as the medbay and the active crew rest are located in the bow of the ship. In the rear of the ship there is a small cargo bay/supply area with room for 2 small ships. In the center of the cargo area there are the 3 main cargo containers.

Equipped with berthing for a minimum of 66 crew (Capt, XO, 6 active crew, 10 standby crew, 10 engineering crew, 20 munitions/repair crew) as well as 2 sick beds in the medbay.

Being an assault cruiser the vessel is not equipped with any manufacturing facilities. However the bay at the back allows for supplies to be delivered, as well as the dorsal and ventral connecting ports.

Any ship purchased from us will come fully stocked with fuel, ammo and repair supplies.

External three quarter view
    [​IMG]

Port side exterior view
    [​IMG]

Main entrance
    [​IMG]

View of the main entrance from the security control room
    [​IMG]

View from the port side observation deck
    [​IMG]

View from the bridge
    [​IMG]

Main reactor
    [​IMG]

Main gyro bank
    [​IMG]

Secondary reactors/gyro bank
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LIMITED TIME OFFER!!!
    We will be including our first edition repair drone in the cargo hold of every vessel sold until our supplies extinguish!

Unnamed repair drone
    [​IMG]

[SIZE= 7.5pt] *CDI cannot be held responsible for the actions taken by any party using a Quokka that was purchased through our customer outreach division*

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10.0pt]
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 7.5pt] *in the event that a Quokka has been commandeered by external forces after you or any party you belong to purchase a vessel, CDI cannot be held responsible and will not re-reimburse you for the loss of your property*[/SIZE][SIZE= 7.5pt]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10.0pt]
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 7.5pt] *Every customer is expected to adhere to the EULA provided at time of purchase*[/SIZE][SIZE= 7.5pt]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 10.0pt]
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 7.5pt] *CDI does not condone/support or otherwise advise the use of any one of our ships against civilian/industrial/democratic/non-military installments or ships*[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. HBenceHUN

HBenceHUN Trainee Engineer

Well designed ship, I like the usage of two different shade of a colour a lot! By the way, have you ever played Freeelancer? The background you use really reminds me of Omicron Iota, one of the alien homeworlds.

3. Swanicus

Thanks man, yea I tried to find a color scheme that I liked and that I could carry through to any other builds.

I have not played freelancer. The sky box is the Eta Pegasi sky box created by Protheus.

Heres the link to it if you're interested in using it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314618966

4. Tristavius

Tristavius Senior Engineer

Hi Swanicus, sorry I didn't see you online last night - have added you on Steam though!

Exterior wise I'm really liking the overall shape of the craft! I first saw if from the side where it looked sharp and pointy and was surprised when I saw it from above and realized it was wider than expected. That works very well though! The convex ribbing is unique and instantly gives it an identifiable style and I like the turret placements. Never been a huge fan of gunship grey but I'd say it works reasonably well here... can't help wondering if a few shades lighter would give it more contrast but colour is always going to be a personal preference thing. I like the striping colour, nice and unique.

Interiors are looking good, though they are hard to see from just screenshots. Security control room and secondary reactor/gyros look particularly cool but I'm sure there's even more to see once you can walk around :) You may be planning this already but if not you may want to consider interior lighting too, it's all a bit dark currently especially on a high end monitor. When you do like I do and use mainly monochrome inside, lighting becomes even more important.

Presentation wise, also a very good start. Your description makes the design decisions nice and clear and your cut away is well done. I've been meaning to write a guide to that for ages but looks like you nailed it yourself! If I can be of any help with the 'branding' let me know, I've helped a couple of people produce general layouts for their images of late!

5. gFleka

gFleka Junior Engineer

I can see you guys (Tristavius, Swanicus) share a very similar design philosophy! Very beautiful ship, I really love the light blue center line.

As for the interiors I love them, also I love the fact that you didn't use any mods (at least it looks like that on the screenshots), a big :thumb: from Fleka!

6. Swanicus

No worries! I got the friend request, and you're more than welcome to hop in whenever I'm on.

Thanks for the input, I wasn't 100% on the exterior colors so I'll definitely lighten the grey a bit and see how it looks, pretty sure the dark blue and mint color will stay though. The pictures don't really do it justice, the ship is actually pretty large 165 x 112.5 x 42.5 (LxWxH). I'm happy to hear that you like the way i've tried to get a recognizable Design style.

Yea those first screenshots were rather crappy, I've gone through and added lighting in about 80% of the vessel so far, It's just taking me forever because I'm labeling absolutely everything in the ship.

Hey thanks man, in all honesty I learned how to do the cutaway in a sort of roundabout way after reading your walk-through on the blueprints. I may have to take you up on that offer. At least to get a consistent "Company branded mask" that I can put over the images.

Thanks for the kind words gFleka, I've done my best to come up with my own build style that's recognizable.

I was struggling for awhile trying to build a completely finished ship, but I read through Tristavius's thread and it dawned on me that the reason I could never finish a ship is because I was getting too hung up on making it flashy with mods. This ship is actually the first completed ship I've done, and the first un-modded one. I started building it a few hours after reading through the TVSI design philosophy.

For the most part I think I've done a good job creating my own design philosophy, however it is very heavily built around the basics of the TVSI philosophy.

I should have the ship finished to my liking and on the workshop tomorrow. Please feel free to rip through it and let me know your input.
    gFleka,Tristavius having guys like you give positive input so far means a lot to me. I appreciate it.

7. Swanicus

Released on workshop!

The original post has been updated to reflect this.

8. Tristavius

Doh, you release it just as I have to be traveling for the next 2-3 days :p

Guess I'd better update SE on my laptop then!

9. Swanicus

Haha of course I'd do something like that.

10. Willemina

Willemina Senior Engineer

I like the use of that minty green.

11. gFleka

gFleka Junior Engineer

You are welcome Swanicus, keep up the good work, I will follow you for sure :)

12. Swanicus

Looking forward to seeing what you think about the Quokka.

Also, keep your eyes on the thread, I'm in the process of building an attack corvette sub 3mil KG. Currently the shell gets to cruising speed in 12 seconds flat :D:D:D

I'm excited to see how the corvette turns out once Im done with it. Should be about two weeks before it's done. Teaser pics to come on Monday.

13. Swanicus

View of the Quokka as seen from our new project. Standby for more teaser pics to be released as we see fit.
    [​IMG]

Intercepted and captured a spy taking pictures of our new design. Have dealt with his employers.
    Releasing the photo to all our investors.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
  14. Tristavius

Finally had a tour of the Quokka! Just going to walk round again and ramble comments as I go...

A lot of very positive things, especially for a first build! The styling is nice and unique and works well and it works as a practical design too.

Interiors have some very nice rooms. I love the entrances, they are extremely well done, they really feel like a sort of gauntlet to be run by an invader or some sort of security screening.

I like the use of splashes of colour within certain rooms (e.g. the red on the bridge).

Crew cabins are good, and bonus points for naming your doors to show what the room is! Especially like the use of sloped blocks to make bunks seem more enclosed and private.

The mid-ship reactor is particularly good.

Rear cargo bay is cool, I like the reactor/gyro banks and the door is superb, I didn't actually know some of those blocks could safely fit together! Raising it up one block actually gives a really nice effect too, must remember that!

Having maintenance access to various things is a very good idea too.

Not much in the way of negative really! As you've said, there are a few 'empty spaces' but saving them for future modding etc isn't a bad idea either. Having a stern cargo bay is a bit of a gamble... it looks great but you loose a serious amount of engine space - I tend to find I need every available inch of it. Hopefully this will get better as and when KSWH release some deeper engines! On saying that you have about 1.5m/s acceleration and your ship would probably fall into the battlecruiser category of Phoenix Shipyards (you can of course call it whatever you wish in your own lore) and that's really not bad for a large capital ship.

I look forward to seeing the next one... from the sneak I saw you've made big strides with your fine-detailing already!

15. Swanicus

Thanks for the kind words. Means a lot to me.
    Yea I wasn't sure how I'd like the cargo bay in the stern of the ship but it seemed to work out alright on this ship. Although you are right, I could have utilized that space with more engines.

Yea she gets to full cruising speed in about a minute. Which is rather slower than what I was aiming for. But I'll take it seeing as how this was my first completed build. Yea, the classification system I use has it as a Battlecruiser as well (Based off weight) However I see Battlecruiser as having massive amounts of firepower as well. I think if anything I should probably re-classify the ship as a heavy cruiser.

Yea I feel like I've made some big advancements with detail work as well. The biggest difference between the new ship and Quokka is that I didn't mirror the dorsal and ventral sides on the new one like I did on the Quokka. I think that opened up a lot more room for me to use some really nice detail work. Pretty excited to finally release the new one.

16. Swanicus

Now that CDI has made great strides in the completion of our newest ship we've made the decision to release a partial view of the exterior from the bow of the ship.

We are proud to announce the CDI Light Frigate: Condottieri.

[​IMG]

We will be releasing a full range of images within the next week. For the time being, we hope this image is enough to keep you interested in the progress of our fleet.

17. Swanicus

CDI Condottiere Light Frigate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After CDI released their first vessel the engineers and design team went straight back to work on another ship designed to fill a role along side the Quokka. The Condottiere was designed as a light attack frigate meant to operate within supplies lines of the rest of her fleet. Being an attack frigate the vessel is quite fast for it's size as well as being decently armed. A rather small ship internally and externally there are absolute minimums inside the cabins as far as amenities go.

Designed to be operate by 16 crew members in total the vessel has crew cabins scattered throughout, with the Officers cabins on C-Deck within close proximity to the entrance/exits of the ship. D-deck is located directly under engineering and meant to house the lead engineer and 3 other members. The main crew cabin which houses the munitions crew and the 1 Catering crew member is located on B deck centrally on the vessel. The Condottiere is equipped with 4 forward facing rocket pods allowing massive damage to be done while moving in towards it's targets. Defense is by no means slacking on this ship as she's defended by 14 Point defense turrets and 9 offensive turrets.

As with all other CDI ships there is a centrally located CIC as well as a navigational bridge at the bow of the vessel. Main engineering is at the stern of the ship. Equipped with 2 large reactors and two small reactors, and capable of running off of a group (1LG/1SM) at a time without overloading it's systems the Condottiere can most certainly be outside of main lines for extends periods if need be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  18. LostElement

LostElement Apprentice Engineer

Ohmahgurd it looks very nice. The one thing I could never do well was the interior of ships...

19. High Ground

High Ground Apprentice Engineer

Now this is what I like to see. More ships of this size are what we need. The huge dreadnoughts look cool and all but are totally impractical. Frigates, Corvettes, and Patrol Craft are the backbone of any fleet. As for Capital ship, the Carrier or mobile base are all you need.

20. Swanicus

Thanks!

Yea i agree massive ships are pretty but I feel anything other than a battlecruiser is just nonsense at this point in the game (with the exception of carriers) For example, I dont think I'll build anything larger than Tristavius' Avalon (If ever) Still not sure I'll be able to build anything close to that size without seeming like I've copied his design too much.

However I had a blast building the Condottiere, so I'll probably start on another frigate/corvette design within the next few days.

21. Swanicus

Hey everyone, I'm still working on a few new ship designs. Currently helping Levits out with the interiors of his ships. I stumbled across his thread for his ships, and since I like the lore and his designs I figured I'd offer my assistance to build his interiors up for him. Go check out his thread if you haven't already https://forums.keenswh.com/post/c1-corporation-ship-database-7152457?pid=1285020757#post1285020757

What would everyone like to see next?
    I have a corvette in the works as well as a ship that seems like it'll end up being a carrier. But is there something else you want to see me try?

Let me know.

22. Levits

Levits Senior Engineer

Every time I look at your ships, they amaze me on how well they are defined. The paint scheme and exterior possess signatures that make them easily identifiable as that of your own and the overall design and concept are simple yet have so many unique touches that they amaze. I can tell, as well as anyone looking at them, that a lot of thought and time went into their construction. ...My own designs may be overly complicated, but I like the look of what you have going with your own. The interior lighting and layout is also an impressive display... Just out of curiosity though, how large is your Cruiser if compared to one of my own destroyers? I'm kinda having a ratio crisis right now with my ship registry. :woot: I can't stop trying to build them to scale and I'm starting to think that my destroyers are boarding Cruiser classification.

23. Swanicus

Thanks! I'm trying to keep all of my ships easily recognizable but still trying to keep every new ships it's own as well. It's really hard making a ship that's easily recognizable as a ship that I've built without making it seem like a miniature or re-worked version of a different one. To be honest getting the lighting correct is the part that takes the longest after the actual build of the exterior of the ships. The lighting typically takes longer than the interior build.

As far as the size comparison goes, I'm not really sure. However I will take some screenshots later for you if you'd like.

To be honest, I think the sizes of your ships are pretty spot on for what they seem to be classified for. However it's your lore, your story, and your ships. So that opens you up to making them 100% to the scale that you've drawn them if you'd like to do so.

24. Swanicus

Welp, my HD failed and I lost any of the progress I had on newer ships because I neglected to keep backups of my save games.

Please standby for the next build to be released as I'm starting from scratch again. I apologize to anyone who has been waiting to see what I come up with next.

And thank you for being so patient.

25. Swanicus

So, I've been trying to get some progress done on some of my ship plans. It's been slow going since Im doing this on a crappy laptop. But I've made a little amount of progress.

In an effort to keep interests high in this thread here's a picture of what has been done so far.

[​IMG]

26. Swanicus

The newest ship design from CDI, out on it's test flight. This image show's CDI's newest ship the Javelina being guarded by two of CDI's Quokka Cruiser's at an undisclosed resupply station.

Everyone at CDI is aware that the image is quite dark, however due to the relatively fast production time of the vessel our media team deemed it appropriate to release this image.

From everyone at CDI,
    Thank you for your continued enthusiasm. Please Enjoy.

[​IMG]

27. Swanicus

Here it is, the newest vessel from CDI.

I have a few things to finish up on the ship in the next day or two, but the exterior is finished, and I have it basically where I wanted it to be maneuverability wise. Hope everyone enjoys the overall shape. Tried to stay true to my design cue's while trying a completely different shape.

Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

28. Levits

Levits Senior Engineer

Awesome work there Swanicus. A lot clearer to see too this time :woot:

It's a nice looking ship and looks pretty well built for combat.

29. Swanicus

Thanks Levits.

Haha yea, now that it's almost done I figured I should release an actual image of the ship.

It may end up being in the carrier class however. It's turning out to be quite a bit heavier than I originally anticipated.

Glad you like the look of it, I wasn't sure about it at first, but since I added my detail work onto it it's become one of my favorites out of all of the ships I've built to date.

Heavily armed doesnt even begin to explain it. 36 Turrets, and something like 28 point defense turrets.

I designed it to be an anti frigate ship. I used the Pilatus from TVSI as a test mule. This thing stands up pretty well.

Hopefully I'll have all of the presentation images finished within the next day or two. Just super busy with work.

30. Swanicus

BACK FROM THE DEAD.

Alright so I know it's been awhile since I've put anything in this thread.

The Tazawa has been the biggest headache possible. I couldn't seem to find an interior layout that I was happy with. To date I've ripped out the interior 6 times and re-done it. I'm finally happy with it and am going through and labeling everything now, if all goes well I'll have it completed and on the workshop shortly.

Once again, I apologize for the long lead time on this project.

For anyone still waiting for this ship to be finished I'm sure you'll be happy with the finished product.

Once again, thank you for your continued interests in Cygnet Design Industries.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.