Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Cygnet Design Industries: Caracal LRV Release!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Swanicus, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

After the initial releases of the Quokka and the Condottiere CDI's design team decided they needed something drastic to make an impact on the market, they needed a battlecruiser capable of being on the frontlines or able to be used as a support vessel for the rest of the fleet. The team went to work on a new design unlike any other attempted on the previous vessels. Something that was sleek, yet menacing when coming towards an enemy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That vessel is the Tazawa. A light Battlecruiser capable of achieving its cruising speed in 50.25 seconds. Fast enough to close on any destroyer class ship and most frigates. Designed as a shock and awe vessel as well as a complete defense or attack vessel the Tazawa is not a ship to be taken lightly.

With a total of 85 guns (38 Hardpoints 47 P.D) scattered at all corners of the vessel she can fend off multiple smaller ships at a time. A decoy inside the ship guarded by a large amount of P.D turrets keeps most enemy ship's auto turrets distracted while the missile turrets rip the enemies to shreds.

Designed to operate with a minimum crew of 25 yet capable of a crew of 50 if active hot bunking is needed. A total of 7 decks make up the whole ship. A deck being the bridge alone. B deck holds the Medbay, catering and med officer rest as well as tertiary gyro rooms. C Deck holds the mess hall and a common area for crew to relax. D holds the main gyro hall and the crew bunks for the fire control crews. E deck holds the crew bunks for engineering and is located directly above the main engineering floor. F deck holds the CIC. G Deck is the main floor which holds the Capt/XO rest, active crew rest, central engineering and main engineering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Levits Senior Engineer

6 times?... lol man. Well I suppose with the way you go all out on fixing things up :woot:... at least you've finally got it done. Certainly looks to be an impressive addition to your fleet; always fun to see the cutaway and just how much you put into the interior.

Also, I noticed your post in the "show off your creation" thread and the following conversation between you and Skeloton. Sounds like it would be an interesting fight to say the least X)

3. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Hey everyone, quick update for you all.

I took some time off to focus on other things during Keen's bug fixing phase. Checked out the game this past monday and was pleasantly surprised by the additions to the game. Still trying to get used to how some of the additions actually function and such but I'm sure I'll get it down soon enough.

Eitherway, heres a few quick images of what I've been working on since I saw the updates.

[​IMG]

On the Bottom you see the old Tazawa. On the top we have Tazawa Mk2.

[​IMG]

Bow three-quarter comparison between Tazawa and Mk2.

[​IMG]

Port side comparison.

I know it's nothing terribly exciting like a brand new ship, but I've apparently gotten quite rusty in my time away.

Hope at least someone other than myself is excited for the Mk2 release. The Tazawa was always my favorite ship that I put together, figured it was only fitting to re-do it as a come back release.

4. Levits Senior Engineer

Well now, welcome back Swanicus X3 I was wondering where you had gotten off to.

So, you planning anything with the sloped armor blocks?

5. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Long time no see! I like the new look for the Tazawa; what's the armament? I can see point defense turrets, all ready to be conveyor-serviced. :cool:

6. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Yea, the Tazawa Mk2. uses a lot of them.

Can't really see how much cooler it looks in pictures though, stupid LOD fail.

The Mk2. is definitely a ship that's gonna need to be downloaded to experience to the fullest.

And in typical CDI fashion, I've already redone the interior 3 times trying to get it all to mesh correctly. Figuring out how to get all of the rooms piped up with air vents without taking up too much space is a huge challenge apparently.

7. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Thank man! Missed all you guys, I'm happy to see that everyone else is still releasing quality work.

I'm glad you like the look of the new model. Despite the fact that she's larger on the outside she actually has just about the same amount of space inside... maybe a bit less.

Yep point defense turrets all conveyor ready if they ever actually allow them to use conveyors.
    As well as quite a lot of rockets and gatling turrets.

Still sticking with vanilla weapons for now haven't ventured into the modded weapons yet.

8. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Guys, I may have done a thing.....

[​IMG]

In the background (Right side) you can see the CDI Tazawa Mk.1.

She's there for a size reference.

9. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Oooooh! Mysterious screenshot has me rather intrigued! Whatever that is it looks big and rather cool!

10. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

I'm hoping I'll get the TVSI/PFS seal of approval on that one once she's finished.

I have a lot of work ahead of me though.

Still need to finish the Tazawa Mk.2
    As well as the VIP ship I've been working on.
    A few small ships and now this.

I didn't intend to build it. It just kind of grew on its own as I was trying out a nose one concept. Decided to run with it. A week later and I have a complete exterior.

Haha it's been a journey.

11. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Another teaser from CDI. [​IMG]

That goes inside of this ladies and gents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What you see there is the official exterior of CDI's Newest creation. Dubbed the CDI.Kinloss Carrier.

This was a completely un-intended build that all spawned from a previously scrapped nose for a battle cruiser. I'm super excited to get this vessel finished. But it's still very much a WIP.

Either way, quick rundown for you.
    8 Fighter Launch bays, 1 Recovery tube, 3 Fighter repair/standby decks and 1 VIP/Supply hangar in the rear of the ship.

All fighters and bays adhere to TVSI 4x2 standards.

And here's the first fighter I've come up with for her.

[​IMG]

The CDF-AF "Transom"

Let me know what you all think about it so far.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

I really have a lot to do in the nest few days.

Currently working on the Carrier pictured above.
    Still need to finish Tazawa Mk.2
    Need to complete my VIP Transport vessel.
    Need to (finally) release my slightly older corvette.
    Still need to design a bomber variant of the fighter and create a Kinloss based supply vessel.

Sooo much work. never enough time.

13. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Nice! Some of the detailing on there is superb, and amazingly it manages to hold enough in common with the shape and design features that I could spot it as your work even painted pink. Will be extremely interested to get a look at the inside later! Love the profile from above too in the photobucket album.

I think my only point of concern right now is the stern, especially the number of thrusters - while armoured is good, the current setup in general leaves very little space for performance!

14. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

@Tristavius thanks man. I wanted to try and make something that was a bit sleeker looking yet still looked like it belonged in the navy. Also needed to try some different design, I'm very pleased with it so far.

The stern and its performance were a concern for me as well. However even at its current 40million KG's she moves pretty quickly thanks to those thrusters of yours.

Once she's done I'll probably need to add a few more.

15. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Aaaah! They're XL thrusters at least! In that case yeah, she should move a little bit faster than I thought :)

16. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

@Tristavius haha yea. I'm using most of your mods now.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  17. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

So after the update 3 weeks ago my carrier build has become supper laggy for some reason. Making it almost impossible to continue the build.

I'm thinking it has to do with the airtight hangar doors for some reason because whenever I remove them the lag subsides quite a bit.

Almost leaning towards rebuilding the whole carrier to see if that helps cut down on lag. It's rather annoying as I've made a lot of progress on the vessel.

18. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Perhaps it's to do with the Oxygen flow calculations if the hangar doors are having such a profound effect? Maybe disable oxygen for the world?

19. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

That's actullya good idea. I'll have to test that out later.

Look at you, always thinking.

20. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Adding Fighters into the ship seems to make it a huge sexy brick of lag.

But I mean, it looks so great....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pre Flight Deck 3, stocked with fighters and ready to deploy.

12 Fighters in total on Deck 3 (6 Transom Fighters, 6 of my new "Keel" fighters)

The Keel is the smaller of the two fighters.

21. Tristavius Senior Engineer

Awww yeah, sexy! The blast doors have opened so much more options for compact hangars, wonder how many I could fit in the Avalon now :p

22. Sungur Apprentice Engineer

what about the lights at the floor? wont they be damaged when a ships thrusters passes above them?

23. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

So far they haven't been damaged, I've tested them a few times. The area where the fighters are "parked" doesn't have any lights mounted on them, which allows the fighter to get some ground clearance before reaching the central area where the lights are.
    Up to this point I've had no shorted lights, but I'll keep testing.

This comment makes me happy, the Avalon is a lot of the inspiration to me and I loved you hangar areas, which is why I've done it on this ship. I had to use the extra long 10M hangar doors to get the preflight deck airtight, but I love them. Definitely keeps hangars way more compact and clean.

The scary thing about building this carrier is that I've already decided that I need to re-do it because there are a few areas where I've thought about more efficient use of space.

I'll probably end up making a dedicated Command Carrier variant where I can make all the changes that I've thought about.

24. Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

Lag wise, I think that it's the lights. I mean, I have no right to comment because I get 8 fps on an empty world. But anyway, these ships are beautiful, I do retrofits and mod upgrades, so I may end up doing some of your ships if my computer can get it together.

25. LordAlexkog Trainee Engineer

Very nice I like it.

26. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Honestly, the lights have never really effected my frames.

I've been having issues with this ship when it comes to lag since about 4 updates ago.

Something strange happened and it went from running at 28FPS to about 12FPS after an update. And no matter what I try it doesn't seem to be changing.
    Can't pinpoint if it's a mod causing it or if the actual world is corrupt in some way.

I'll figure it out at some point.
    Thanks, hopefully everyone enjoys the time I've spent on this once it's finally released. So much work for this carrier.

27. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Ok guys, the Carrier is still on hold. Lag issue has gone away. However ever since DX11 and the weird way lights are, I can't seem to get my ship designed to work without having light bleed into other rooms.

Currently on my 6th rebuild of the interior, which is an absolutely massive space to fill.

In the meantime I've been slowly but surely updating all of the older ships.
    First in line is the Quokka, which provided RL doesn't get in the way should be finished in a few days.

I apologize for all the delays and set backs. Please hang in there for more from CDI

28. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Little bit of time spent putting a ship together tonight.

Just about done with it just need to flush out the interior. I'll have this done tomorrow or Wednesday.

Corvette class, just around 1500 Tons, 11 weapons. Room for 3 crew members.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*editied because noob and cant figure out spoiler tab*

• Like Like x 2
  29. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

That Corvette is going to look really sexy when its finished! :D

30. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Nice! You don't mess about do you! ;)

Looking forward to the finished product and future CDI projects!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.