Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Daily update: steam forced update->no possibilty to play on server if admin not available to update

Discussion in 'General' started by n00likus, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. n00likus Trainee Engineer

Hello,
    As my first post here i read it will be reviewed, good because I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it.

I actually really like playing space enginner on a server despites the bugs and crashes.
    However I'm really annoyed when I launch the game, steam force an update that I can't avoid ( or can I how?) and if the administrator of our server is away I cannot join it due to different game version.
    This is very frustrating! I have tried to block it with steam but the only 3 options offered are: 1 Always keep this game updated, 2nd only update when launching game and3rd , high priority, always update this game.
    There should be a fourth one Never update this game!
    So no way to block it. I thought I had found a workaround: an option in steam to define limited download period, but it doesn't seem to take updates in account.
    This is more than the second time it happens to me and other players and I'm close to quit space engineer due to this.
    Another example is I can't recall the exact date, just before Xmas steam wasn't working at all an no chance to play space enginner;Not only players suffer from this but Keen TOO.
    Sorry for my rusty english ;)
    Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DDP-158 Master Engineer

There is nothing that can be done here. How updates are handled are on steams end and they removed disable updates quite a while back.

The same goes for steam being down. Se has no control in what happens there and the issue lies on steam. Both of these issues should be on their boards, though be warned that going there is like willingly going for a swim at a sewage reclamation plant.

The best you can do for the server issue is to be in contact with the admin because he can update a server from a smart phone if needed. Or if he gives admin access to a second person so theres a chance that one of the 2 can be present for any upgrade needs.

3. n00likus Trainee Engineer

Thank You for the prompt and clear reply :tu:
    I will ask the admin if he could share his righs as you advise.
    Cheers.;)

4. waterlimon Senior Engineer

Is there no way for keen to make servers autoupdate?

Or is that too inconvenient (do most servers have some manual tasks that need to be done on every restart?)

5. Malware Master Engineer

Keen has no control of servers, nor should they. Any server update must be done by the server owner. Of course a skilled server owner would be able to set up an auto update themselves using steamcmd, for instance (I am not such a person, so don't ask :p )

6. Gakhon Trainee Engineer

I just stopped playing on servers because of this issue. (I also opened a suggestion thread just like you.) After so many times of getting really involved in my project, and then suddenly finding myself unable to rejoin (often for days) because of a mere hotfix, I simply burned out.

How the whole thing works currently is beyond ridiculous... I'm quite confident that implementing an auto-restart and auto-update feature in dedicated servers would be rather trivial, but they don't seem to care about real-world dedicated server experience. It must be obvious to them that given the frequency of updates (and especially hotfixes), it is not realistic even the slightest to push all responsibility of server updates to the server admins.

Edit: Yes, I also tried everything to prevent Steam from updating the game, without success. :(

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  7. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Servers are ran by private companies so neither steam or valve have any real say in this. A server is just somebody renting a computer system to you.
    It's like I've said before, anybody can slap down $20 and rent a server, but as the owner you really have to dedicate your time to it to make it a good server.

8. Gakhon Trainee Engineer

If we take this at face value, it arguably means that dedicated server multiplayer in this game is completely broken, and nobody in their right mind should try to play it, unless they know the server admin very closely. So, I would rather think that Keen could do something about it. As a side note, I really don't get all the efforts from multiple forum members to absolve Keen of any and all responsibility whatever the subject issue is. I don't think this helps the game's development in the long term, nor do I think it makes a good impression on players generally. I think taking honest responsibility, empathizing with players' frustration and admitting shortcomings would be a more correct approach; I'd definitely go that way if I'd have an indie game project (which I will, if everything goes well).

9. Phoera Senior Engineer

admin can easily setup autoupdate for his server.

10. DDP-158 Master Engineer

You can take it at face value if you want but it certainly doesn't make a multiplayer game completely broken, it just shows a bias on your part by recent bad experiences.
    That experience though can be quite valid because just as it takes effort for an admin to run a server, it takes effort for a player to find that server. Of course this is usually where conflicts come into play. There are tons of guilds and gaming groups that cover a huge assortment if games, running servers for many of them. They run high end websites that they insist you sign up at and they usually stick to a brand of void that they want you to download. And a lot of it seems like a lot of work to a recreational gamer. This gamer doesn't want to sign up to a guild or download voice coms, they just want to jump in and play the game for 20-40 minutes then maybe not touch it for week. Since the 2 sides conflict this usually leaves the casual to just search the list of open servers that somebody slapped in without any protections, backup, or full time admin capabilities. And the result is what you are experiencing.

Trying to place blame on keen for this is another fallacy because as I said, these servers are not run by keen, they are ran by private companies and have been for some time. These companies don't just cover se; they cover a huge array of these small server games. Virtually every fps survival game out there has these servers, and building games have been doing this since at least minecraft. It allows us to set the rules and police our game when the company in way can cover that many servers. If you look at it like a city, joining a private group is like a gated community while slap down servers may vary between standard residential and apartment complexes, and company owned servers are skid row. Why is company so low, because they just place the server for people to experience but there no real policing except in volunteer forms. Any body can get in so you not only end up with a massively clustered map but you get all the trash as well. Plus you won't even get the perks of mods in se's case.

I personally will take my private whitelist server over a open server any day of the week. I make it what I want to be. I understand that you've had a frustrating time with servers, but many of those claims are simply wrong.

11. odizzido Junior Engineer

Pretty much the problem you're having is steam forcing updates. If it didn't there wouldn't be any issues with this. Unfortunately steam is a shit program that, for me, only gets away with it because games are often very cheap.

As to keen, I wouldn't mind them hosting a few servers themselves....I seem to even recall keen requesting large server worlds on the forum.....which they could get by hosting one. And don't tell me it's expensive. At least one person there must be able to build a computer and they could bang together a solid system for under 1K USD. Honestly they really should have at least one running in their office.

And as to the server admins...well, I imagine most of them were on the stable branch which has now disappeared. Either they're going to have to get an auto update thing going or keen is going to have to start testing their patches better before pushing them to everyone.

edit---------
    Oh also, if you're getting frustrated I'd recommend not playing SE for a while. It's still in development so coming back to it later will just mean you will get a better experience.

12. CyberBlaster Trainee Engineer

I thought the reason they made a separate branch(DEV) is so the can patch that all they want and not mess with the majority of the player base and not affect servers.

I run my own dedicated server on a computer in my house and last week there were several patches in one day. I had to restart the server every time someone crashed cause there was an update.

13. Malware Master Engineer

Don't worry. These are not normal circumstances. Given your forum join date, I assume you already knew that but, you know, just in case... :D

Sometimes there's no choice but to patch outside of normal patch times. We have to do that sometimes too, but like with Keen it's a rare occurrence.

14. Regn Trainee Engineer

One could look at it as an opportunity to go nuts in creative mode. To come up with some new designs, do some testing, tweak ones scripts, and so on.

15. odizzido Junior Engineer

CyberBlaster, when they started calling SE beta they just started using the latest dev build for everyone. AFAIK they're not going to continue to have two separate branches.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.