Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Decorative Blocks And The Workshop

Discussion in 'General' started by Bullet_Force, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

As we all know Keen has been very eager of late to push out cosmetic DLC's. I was looking into purchasing the 'Decorative Blocks' DLC as I noticed that new Industrial Cockpit has some practical uses with its integrated LCD's. However in testing my friend who owns the DLC pasted in some ships he had made one of which used the Industrial Cockpit. I blueprinted it and then went to paste it in my self but was told that since I don't own the DLC if I pasted it in it would be missing from the ship.

Now the problem here is this if I were to build a ship and use that cockpit and then share it on the workshop, anyone who doesn't have the DLC would effectively be unable to use my blueprint. Either they would not be able to fly it since there would be no cockpit, or worse if the cockpit was holding up other stuff the whole thing might collapse.

This seems like a big incentive not to purchase this. Why would I want to use a block for a workshop blueprint if its going to be unusable for easily more then 50% of the player base?

2. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

The DLC is a whopping $4 and is honestly well worth the investment. You'll spend more than that $4 anytime you eat out at a fast food place. It was said from the start that if you didn't have the pack you would NOT be able to build the blocks, but you would be able to interact with them. Since your friend owns the DLC you were able to interact with the cockpit block he placed and even make a blueprint of it. Since you yourself do not own the DLC you can't paste the blueprint in with that cockpit attached to it since that's considered you building the block. This is intentional to avoid people being able to build the blocks without owning the DLC. Uploading your blueprint with that block attached is no different than uploading with a mod block on the ship. Folks that want to use it will need to have the appropriate mod, or in this case DLC.

What you're describing is working as intended. It's $4 to get access to the blocks so it's not exactly bank breaking for a one time purchase as again, anything from a fast food place will run you more than that today.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

The price of it isn't the issue, its the limitation it brings with sharing blueprints that use it on the workshop that is the problem.

4. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

Again they said this from the very start. Pasting a blueprint is the same as building it. Whoever pastes said blueprint in is considered the owner. Since you don't own the DLC then you can't own the cockpit block or paste it in. I get that it sucks if you don't own the DLC because you can't use that cockpit block, but again this was all made clear from the start. We can debate whether that information is being displayed in the right place or not, but it's out there for all to see and find.

As to why it is the way it is, why should someone who doesn't own the DLC be allowed to paste it in and build the blocks? If they allowed folks to build the blocks and paste them in without folks owning them, there would be no need for them to purchase the DLC, and everyone and their brother would just cheese it so they have free access to the blocks without purchasing. I may not agree with everything Keen does but they're far from stupid when it comes to that sort of thing. The only limitation in regards to the workshop will be the willingness of the individual person to buy the DLC if they really want to use that block.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That’s why most of my blueprinted builds do not use DLC, even though I own them all.

6. Malware Master Engineer

What would be the incentive to buy the dlc if you could just get the blocks as a blueprint for free?

7. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

No idea but there is certainly no incentive to use the blocks for workshop designs given how the current limits. If you ask me they should stick to selling skins rather then blocks.
    --- Automerge ---
    Which is kind of my points, this DLC is effectively worthless and self defeating for a lot of players.

8. Malware Master Engineer

The incentive is very simple.

To be able to use the workshop items using the blocks ;)

Funny, how can it be so "worthless" and "self defeating", having sold so well?

I'm sorry, but here again the statistics tell a different story than you try to tell...

9. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

Well I work on the theory that if I use the cockpit from that DLC it will hamper the appeal of anything I upload to the workshop and effect my sales so to speak. I own the 2 skin DLCs because they don't cause problems.

10. Malware Master Engineer

The block DLC are essentially mods. The incentive to buying the DLC as opposed to using mods, is - there's quite a lot of us who won't use modded blocks as you never know if/when the mod will be broken or just plain removed, or just because so many mods just don't match the visual style of SE. So for us, the DLC is a way to get extra blocks while being able to rely on the blocks being available.

Otherwise - they're no different than other mods. Well, with the exception that anyone can use the blocks if I build it on a multiplayer server, that is, so in that regard they're a little better than mods.

It would be really stupid for Keen to just give those blocks away. They use the DLC to be able to fund continuous development of SE. No DLCs, no updates. Plain and simple. You certainly wouldn't be getting your precious battle update without them (if that's even a thing) ;)

I wish they'd add more DLC blocks like this. I'd buy them in a second and - it would seem - so would a lot of other people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

Counting you I've only seen one other person make the claims you have about the blocks, everyone else I've seen has enjoyed the new blocks. You are certainly under no obligation to buy the pack if you legitimately don't like it. However you also have no right to complain about not being able to build the blocks or utilize blueprints that call for those blocks if you don't buy the pack. Personally I love the blocks as I can now have little bits of storage here or there without needing a big bulky small cargo block. If I want just weapons I can slap down an armory and go. If I want a little of everything, that's what lockers are for. If I just want to slap down some planters and kitchens to appear like a cooking area, I can do that. Simply because you have decided you don't like the blocks doesn't mean everyone else feels the same. They have to be doing something right have sold as many copies of the DLC as they did. As for workshop appeal, I use several of the DLC blocks in some of my builds and even a modded engine block I created. Folks that want to use my designs with either buy the DLC and sub to the mod, if it's a modded design, or they won't. You're not going to please everyone no matter how good a blueprint you make. There will always be someone who doesn't like it because it's not the right color, it's the wrong dimensions etc.

The last thing you need to understand is that Keen is a business that exists to make money. They have overhead and developing a game like SE is not cheap. if they can't bring in money somehow they will not be able to continue development of SE, and like Malware pointed out, no battle update if that's indeed a thing they're doing. Personally I don't understand how they're making money selling the DLCs as cheap as they are, but apparently they are. You might not be willing to invest in the DLC blocks, but simply because you don't like them doesn't mean others don't.

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Precisely. And for these same reasons I usually don't use mods with my builds that will be blueprinted. Or pistons and/or rotors. Sometimes I make an exception, but not much.

13. captainbladej52 Apprentice Engineer

It's why I don't like to add mods to blueprints unless I'm in direct control of the mod.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

The point of the DLC was to raise money. They can't do that if they give it away.

Well, if all one does is create ships for the workshop, then that particular DLC pack would have no value. The cockpit is visually appealing, but functionally identical to the standard cockpits. Therefore, if the goal is to produce blueprints people will download, one should not use the DLC content. If the goal is to build something that features the DLC content, one should consider either risking the ire of the one or two people that didn't buy that particular DLC or simply not publish the build.

No one should be surprised that a build contains DLC as Steam provides a warning.

The DLC's worth is in the eye of the buyer.

I build a lot of things that are functional, versatile, and (I believe) visually appealing. I don't publish them because in just about every case they're at least 80% mods and I'm too lazy to provide a list. Lately I have gotten into the habit of publishing my current session in the rare event that someone really, really wants a copy of something I've built. If they subscribe to the world, they get the mods and they can move on to playing. Of course, I have been using some of the DLC extensively and that particular method won't work for anyone that didn't buy the DLC, but I don't consider that to be my problem. I paid for the DLC and I'm not looking for a way for someone else to get it free. The DLC is designed not to be essential, and it isn't.

I initially responded to this thread because I thought it was "necroed." I thought we already had this discussion.

15. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Oh, I wouldn't say that. They can load a world with DLC content. They can't make a blueprint out of it to build it like you did, but they can replace the DLC-Blocks with basic blocks to at least prevent the model to be split in parts due the missing DLC-blocks. I don't know if they just can't build the projected blocks or if they aren't projected at all, but if you replace them before taking the blueprint, that doesn't matter.
    OK, I haven't testet that, but random encounters with DLC-content exist in vanilla games, like the R.U.S.T-Freighter, so it seems plausible

• Informative Informative x 1