Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Dedicated Server CPU usage and sim speed.

Discussion in 'General' started by Evan Purl, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

I'm running my own dedicated server, and the CPU usage according to the dedicated server software is 200%+. But on the task manager, it is using about 7% of the CPU. Not sure why but I figured I would bring it up.

The sim speed is also staying at around 0.6 to 0.7 on an almost new server. The trash removal removes any junk.

Kinda is disappointing how I'm running a server but can't get it to perform to its max. I hope Keen works on the servers soon.

2. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

What is your cpu? How many people connected? Are you playing on the same computer while hosting?

Just for comparison I have a 3,4ghz cpu and I'm running 1.0 speed on a solar system world, while also running the game on the same machine and having a friend connected to the server. My game speed starts dipping when game's been running a while and a lot of NPC's have spawned.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  3. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz.

Like I said. The CPU runs at a very low power while the server software itself says the server is running over 200%.

4. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

Your single core performance is pretty much equal to my cpu which is what matters in video games. The CPU usage is around 150-200% for me as well according to server software. I don't think it's accurate. But please provide more information.

How many players on server? Are you playing on the same computer while hosting?

5. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

Different computer, this is with even 0 people on, but when 20 people are on it doesn't change.

6. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

I think I had something similar once where the new save I made was on low game speed for no apparent reason. I solved it by making a new fresh save game in Space Engineers, then moving the save to the Dedicated Server folder and using that.

So basically, my advice is to just try again with a new world.

If this doesn't work, try making the server a Lan game for troubleshooting . Basically just start the server and you should find it in your SE join game in LAN tab. If the gamespeed is fine on LAN then it's a port forwarding problem.

Edit: Actually ignore the LAN advice. Me dumb dumb.
    --- Automerge ---
    You could try using the unofficial server software and see if that works for you https://torchapi.net/

7. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

I tried Torch, no change. A new save works, but only until there are a few grids on the server.

8. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

Are you talking about grids the size of hundreds of thousands of blocks or something smaller you actually build in survival? So if you place say a few 5k block grids on the server in creative, then start that save and no one connects it still puts sim speed much below 1.0? Or is the sim speed only dropping when people join?

What is the cpu of the machine you're joining with? I mean, that probably is not the issue unless you have lower than 2ghz on the client.

It definitely sounds like an internet related issue to me, because you have almost the same exact cpu power as I do (actually more, because you are not also running the game on the same computer). And in my current world I have one giant 2k-3k block stationary grid, around 5 smaller 100block ones, 5 refineries running (which are cpu hogs). And even when we start the game it still runs 1.0 game speed. It only starts getting slower to around 0.7-0.8 when we've played for 4 hours and there are like 50 enemy NPC spawned ship flying around.

Probably best to make a tech support ticket here https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers/general/ticket/add

Edit: Also, final question to this message. Am I understanding this correctly that the sim speed drops even with you alone connected to the server and you build a few grids?

9. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

The server is in survival. And the Sim speed doesn't change when people connect.
    --- Automerge ---
    Also that is correct.

10. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

Well, I can't really be of much more help here. It definitely sounds like a network problem to me.

Make a tech support ticket to keen and paste in some logs.

Things you can still try.

1. Make the server on your other machine, the one you use as the client now. See if the problem persists. If it does, then you've narrowed down it's not a hardware issue.
    2. You can try installing Hamachi (https://www.vpn.net/) and then starting the server on that simulated LAN network. It shouldn't help but I've had some other weird problems in the past with other games that using Hamachi suddenly fixed.

Also, pretty sure you've tried this but reset your router.

11. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

It happens on any machine I use. Any other game I host a server on it run perfectly.

Anyway thank you for the help trying. I just wanted go bring this up.

12. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

So it's not a hardware issue, definitely network related. Port forwarding I think would solve your problem. Try out Hamachi first, tell me how it goes. Using Hamachi is similar to port forwarding but not really. It could work. I use Hamachi on my server because my router software doesn't really work well with port forwarding.

13. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

I already tried it and it didn't change. The port forwarding is already set up correctly and works for literally every other game so it isn't network.

14. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

But you have to set up port forwarding separately for every game, most games work well without port forwarding. Some don't. I guess you already knew that but I bring this up just in case.

Well, I hope Keen provides you with a solution if you put in a ticket.

15. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

I put in a ticket, I hope they provide a solution as well. Thanks for your help.

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

3.4gHz might be a bit low on a CPU from 2010-2011. Space Engineers is a CPU pig when it comes to serving. I wouldn't use anything under 4gHz.

I would follow the following steps.
    Create a server world that is completely empty and no asteroids then enter it and see what the sim speed is.
    Next a world with just a planet and no asteroids. Check that.
    Finally a world with a planet and procedural asteroids. Check that.
    Do NOT use any mods as there's no assurance those mods are optimized for server play.

Build up your stress tests and see where your server starts falling behind. Also, try turning off all the services you're not going to need including any anti-virus software.

17. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

I ended up finding the issue. The stupid Adaptive Simulation setting was slowing everything down. Since I turned it off everything has been smooth as butter.
    --- Automerge ---
    And also like it said the CPU usage on task manager is around 5-10%

18. SirConnery Trainee Engineer

Glad you found the issue.

19. Evan Purl Trainee Engineer

Me too. It was frustrating me haha.