Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Dedicated Server: Unable to download mods

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by longbowrocks, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. rexxar Senior Engineer

Further update: Bad news, it seems this change was intentional, and there is no easy fix. We're discussing a couple of workaround options that should hold out until we can implement the new API. Unfortunately I can't offer any kind of ETA at this time :(

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Sumyunguy Trainee Engineer

Gaben has enacted his revenge upon anon user.

Was there no previous notification of the change? Seems like the proverbial rug was ripped out from under y'all. I couldn't even find a changelog for the Steam Workshop API or anything.

3. Mousserr Trainee Engineer

I downloaded dnSpy and opened sandbox.game.dll. Seeing there are a lot of classes, how do I find the constant ENABLE_WORKSHOP_MODS = false; ? I tried a ctrl+f to search for it, but it seems I have to search each class individually. Thanks in advance.

4. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Is this related in any way to the previously existing problem of mods getting corrupted during download?

5. Brad Barnett Trainee Engineer

I am as well, I already contacted support as I get a 550 error. Their official response is they do not allow editing of the core game files. all mod access is broke and you can only run modless. Gameservers.com will only accept an official fix from keen

6. Richard Skallabjorn Smith Trainee Engineer

I get the same issue , and to confirm I have found using only one Entry that matches ENABLE_WORKSHOP_MODS thus changing it to FALSE yields for me the following....

2017-12-20 01:28:52.138|Main thread> Session snapshot save - END
    2017-12-20 01:28:52.487|Main thread> Chat History error/exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at Digi.ChatHistory.ChatHistory.UnloadData()

2017-12-20 01:28:52.490|Main thread> Network readers disposed

7. Sumyunguy Trainee Engineer

Digi.ChatHistory... sounds like a mod. Try removing it? I've never used that one before.

8. Richard Skallabjorn Smith Trainee Engineer

I get the exact same issues after making the recommended change.

9. Mousserr Trainee Engineer

I was able to change the constant as recommended. Now I am getting this:

2017-12-20 12:06:02.182|Main thread> Session loaded
    2017-12-20 12:06:02.186|Main thread> Exception while loading world: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    2017-12-20 12:06:02.187|Main thread> at SteamSDK.GameServer.SetKeyValue(String key, String value)
    at Sandbox.Engine.Multiplayer.MyDedicatedServerBase.set_Mods(List`1 value)
    at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.StartServer(MyMultiplayerBase multiplayer)
    at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.InitQuickLaunch()

Any ideas?

10. gmorrison Trainee Engineer

Keen, are you going to release an update tomorrow per usual patching? My DS is still up and running, but if you patch the client so i am out of version sync no one will be able to get on

11. MarekW Trainee Engineer

12. siath Trainee Engineer

How about just adding an option in the server launcher (and in game options (single player)) for us to toggle ENABLE_WORKSHOP_MODS = false/true?

This should be an option anyway, in case we don't want to update mods automatically only manually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PhantomX Apprentice Engineer

We are having similar issues on ours gamesserver DS. But, I cannot help get a chuckle at the irony of this situation. Valve Just up change something up you depended on with no warning kinda like how you did alot of the modders, me included. and that is why there is alot of dead and out of date mods on the workshop, just like you said to me and Valve more than likely said to you, it our software and we will do what we want with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. siath Trainee Engineer

Funny thing is Anonymous still works for downloading and updating Ark mods and several other games I play. So, I don't really get this situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TheImmortalRod Trainee Engineer

My nitrado server won't start, it's the exact same problem...

2017-12-20 22:32:20.449 - Thread: 1 -> HTTP: Downloaded 25872 bytes
    2017-12-20 22:32:20.458 - Thread: 1 -> Failed to download mods: System.InvalidOperationException: The ReadElementContentAsString method is not supported on node type None. Line 602, position 12.
    at System.Xml.XmlReader.SetupReadElementContentAsXxx(String methodName)
    at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadElementContentAsString()
    at Sandbox.Engine.Networking.MySteamWorkshop.DownloadWorldModsServerBlocking(List`1 mods, ResultData ret, List`1 publishedFileIds)
    2017-12-20 22:32:20.458 - Thread: 1 -> Downloading world mods - END
    2017-12-20 22:32:20.459 - Thread: 1 -> Unable to download mods
    2017-12-20 22:32:20.459 - Thread: 1 -> MySandboxGame.Initialize() - END
    2017-12-20 22:32:20.474 - Thread: 1 -> Timer Frequency: 2533207
    2017-12-20 22:32:20.474 - Thread: 1 -> Ticks per frame: 42220

16. Mattheus Trainee Engineer

• Do not distribute modified .dll's.
    It seems to work. (have tested with Gportal.com)

-copy the edited "Sandbox.Game.dll" to your "Dedicatedserver64" Folder on your server (overwrite the old)
    -snip-

-create or edit a world offline

-copy the savegame
    (located in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\Saves\<SteamId>\)

and the modfolder
    (located in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers\)

to your gameserver.

(you can clear the modfolder before upload, then start the game to download only the mods you use.)

-this workaround must be done after every SE-update.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2017
  17. TheImmortalRod Trainee Engineer

Whichever mod removed the patch this guy uploaded, come on dude. Virus scan it instead, or make a workaround for us yourselves.
    How can you just say "Derrrrr we have no solution for this, and won't for a week. Oh also, don't post patched files for the ease of our users, cause we sure as hell won't either."

18. Digdug83 Trainee Engineer

I suggest you take a look at the change log for today's update then.

19. DrVagax Administrator

A solution is being worked on, I prefer to wait for the official fix then someone redistributing a modified .dll.
    Both the Space and Medieval teams are working on a solution.

20. TheImmortalRod Trainee Engineer

Yeah, definitely, it's not nice to have both a temporary solution and a real solution.
    No, let's just wait 2 days for a real solution while my player-base evaporates... Super ideal.

21. DrVagax Administrator

Calm down, the developers are working on it.

22. Baconfist Apprentice Engineer

I just updated my server (1.185.5) . Loaded all mods without any problem

23. DrVagax Administrator

24. Mousserr Trainee Engineer

I am assuming this is for Space Engineers. Is there a fix for Medieval Engineers? I still can not get my server to work and when I look at the list, there are only about 10 servers with mods running. Is this because they haven't been restarted?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  25. Richard Skallabjorn Smith Trainee Engineer

Correct, only SE has been fixed, I still cant boot my ME server as Keen hasn't pushed a fix for that one yet. Hopefully soon considering they got the SE one coded and out already.

26. Mousserr Trainee Engineer

Thanks. It is good to know they are making progress on the issue. I hate they have to go through all of this at this time of year. Especially after working so hard the past year. It does show their dedication.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.